What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I’ve been watching you guys. Mail call today. I have to finish up a couple blade try outs with my Grande. I’ll continue to watch and enjoy your shaves. July 28th I will be back with my first Lo Storto shave.

Attachments

• 27B31246-4566-4021-AF79-8C6575DF6A0C.jpeg
    27B31246-4566-4021-AF79-8C6575DF6A0C.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 25
Lately, I've been using my Lo Storto Originale to re-try blades that have given me trouble in the past. Since the FOCS is so mild and forgiving, it does an excellent job of moderating the unruliness of many substandard blades.

For example, today, I tried the Dorco ST300 Platinum, a blade that felt dull, tuggy, and rough to me. The FOCS lessened the harshness substantially, providing me with a reasonably close, comfortable shave.

In last few days, I've also re-tried two other blades that hadn't worked for me: the Topaz Platinum and Treet Classic. In the FOCS, they both provided good shaves.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that I'd consider using these blades regularly or buy more of them. If anything, I view this as a way to use up all of the bottom-tier blades that I've collected as freebies with razor purchases, etc. Now, at least, I can get a good shave while doing so!

The FOCS continues to surprise me, one pass WTG, a quick touch up on the neck, and that's all I need for a very smooth shave that lasts 24 hours (ish). Cella eau de lavande with no sting tells me the razor has done a superb job once again. In my opinion the Fatip Lo Storto Originale is the biggest bargain in D/E shaving. With care and good prep a novice could use it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Shark Platinum (7)
Brush: APShaveco Synbad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire
028_40.jpg

Today, I didn't hydrate the soap as long and it worked much better. It was less slick so my finger didn't slip poking me in the eye. Everyday that I can get through a shave without an eye poke is a good day. Tomorrow, I'll concentrate on not getting soap in my eyes. Who knows what the future may bring? Maybe, I'll be able to get through a shave without getting soap in my mouth? B&M Cheshire smells fantastic. The taste is not so good.

Last edited:
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Shark Platinum (7)
Brush: APShaveco Synbad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire
View attachment 1125493
Today, I didn't hydrate the soap as long and it worked much better. It was less slick so my finger didn't slip poking me in the eye. Everyday that I can get through a shave without an eye poke is a good day. Tomorrow, I'll concentrate on not getting soap in my eyes. Who knows what the future may bring? Maybe, I'll be able to get through a shave without getting soap in my mouth? B&M Cheshire smells fantastic. The taste is not so good.

Where do you get those shark platinums? The only place I can find them is to buy a sleeve of 100 via Amazon and I hate to make such a commitment. My usual vendors only sell the stainless and Chrome's in single packs.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Someone educate me...what's the advantage of a slanted razor? More coverage with the stroke so...less work/less passes? It must have something to do with it being able to follow the contours of your face better I would imagine.

Someone educate me...what's the advantage of a slanted razor? More coverage with the stroke so...less work/less passes? It must have something to do with it being able to follow the contours of your face better I would imagine.

Lots of opinions (and arguments lol) about this topic but it can be summed up to two things: rigidity and cutting motion. The natural torque brought on by the slant design drastically increases blade rigidity and it cuts in a smoother guillotine fashion instead of the chopping action of a straight blade. Both of which give a cleaner, smoother cut.

This analogy is what woke me up to trying slants: when you cut a tomato do you slice into it at an angle or do you push the blade straight down? You cut at an angle and cleanly slice through it, where as pushing the blade straight down mushes it.

From the 1916 Wild patent:

"The clamping faces of the back and guard plates are shaped with a register ing longitudinal twist providing, as shown, a diagonal curvature, and when the flat flexi ble resilient bladed is strained, by clamping it between these faces, the cutting edges d’ d of said blade are set inclined to the axis of the handle so that a hand pull from the handle in using the razor brings inclined or inclining cut. This setting of the cutting edges inclined to the axis of the handle is very clearly represented by Fig. 1. The blade so set has therefore a diagonal curvature as well as a transverse curvature cutting edges into operation, giving a slant-, from a bend which is substantially a longitudinal twist, and this has the effect of ma terially strengthening the cutting edges as well as assisting the ease of shaving, particularly in the case of a stubborn beard."

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Lots of opinions (and arguments lol) about this topic but it can be summed up to two things: rigidity and cutting motion. The natural torque brought on by the slant design drastically increases blade rigidity and it cuts in a smoother guillotine fashion instead of the chopping action of a straight blade. Both of which give a cleaner, smoother cut.

This analogy is what woke me up to trying slants: when you cut a tomato do you slice into it at an angle or do you push the blade straight down? You cut at an angle and cleanly slice through it, where as pushing the blade straight down mushes it.

Thanks for the explanation. Always good to know the logic behind it. Appreciate it.

proxy.php

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover
I haven’t used mine yet. I’ve got it ready though. Finishing blade trials with the Grande. I think the Grande training will shine with Lo Storto.

Attachments

• 13EA4484-5A07-48E6-83C0-9E13D6A0623E.jpeg
    13EA4484-5A07-48E6-83C0-9E13D6A0623E.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 25
  • 0EC6EABB-5624-45BF-AEED-ADAB87F15358.jpeg
    0EC6EABB-5624-45BF-AEED-ADAB87F15358.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 21
  • F53DC3C1-EA4F-4F68-A64F-1465BF77B674.jpeg
    F53DC3C1-EA4F-4F68-A64F-1465BF77B674.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A7CE720-B156-4DEF-9308-E6329263CB12.jpeg
    4A7CE720-B156-4DEF-9308-E6329263CB12.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 25
Very slight derail for a moment:

When I responded earlier about the benefits of a slant vs a straight bar razor I gave the "tomato analogy". Coincidentally I had to slice tomatoes for dinner last night and it got me thinking about that some more in regards to sharpness. Many slant users report comfortable shaves from blades that previously weren't sharp enough or getting a few extra shaves from blades that have lost their life vs a straight bar razor. Many straight bar razor users report always needing the sharpest blade possible to get a good shave (feather, gsb, Kai, etc). Back to tomatoes, it doesn't matter how sharp your blade is... If you push straight down into the tomato it mushes and doesn't even want to break the skin. Where as a slanted guillotine-like slice from a slightly dull blade will go right through it with ease.

Ok, that's all. Back to the fatip lo storto talk haha.

Top Bottom