What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

I can scratch something off the list today.
A new Simpsons 58 2 band Best Badger.
image.jpg

Not so much the 58 part but rather the Best 2 band

Just received it today and had to do a shave to use it!! I will do a proper review after a month or so, but tbis is a total game changer for me (and i have been a synthetics-only guy for the past 2 years).

Count me back to the badger crowd after this! The chubby 2 super nor my 2 savile rows cant even touch the ankles of this brush.

Even on the first shave, this was the softest feeling badger brush i have ever used, but with good backbone. A lot of the hair tips seem to be a bit hooked already which probably adds to the pillow soft and “gel-like” feeling. I never experienced this before on any badger brush. I dont know if i got extremely lucky woth this knot or if this is the typical M&F finest knot, but now i need 3-4 more M&Fs [emoji851][emoji2329]
proxy.php

Another Duke 3 and new Chubby 1's arrived yesterday from the Isle of Man. My last brush purchases for a long time.

This Duke 3 knot measures about 52mm, and sits prouder than my Chubby 2. Knot size is supposed to be 46mm

View attachment 1128843
Beautiful brushes.

To quote Forest Gump; Simpson’s “are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” They are very quirky and all have their own character to a much greater extent than any other manufacturer. I’m not knocking them. I like them but each brush is a surprise.

I’d say you got lucky with the Duke. I like a longer loft around 55mm so this looks spot on to me. The longer loft should work well with the Manchurian hair too. I recently got a Manchurian Chubby 2. It was really stiff and prickly to start with but is settling in and loosening up nicely after 9 shaves. They take a bit of breaking in but they are lovely brushes.

Top Bottom