What's new

Micromatic Monday

True. I currently have two well-liked soaps (in sample quantities) that I am officially trying to finish. I'm not even dedicated enough to get that done. My son will finish off my brick of Cella before I empty my next soap at the rate I'm going.

True. I currently have two well-liked soaps (in sample quantities) that I am officially trying to finish. I'm not even dedicated enough to get that done. My son will finish off my brick of Cella before I empty my next soap at the rate I'm going.
I think those soaps like bricks of Cella or even MdC shouldn't be considered in "normal" people's lists of soaps they might finish in their lifetime :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Well, Vinnie Ba-Ba-Baa Ba-Ba-Barino won out for today's shave...by the way, for those who are too young to know, or just don't remember, Vinnie Babarino like to sing his name in the style of the Beach Boys song "Barbara Ann". Okay, enough 70's TV-Trivia for today. The shave was absolutely awesome: 3-passes with my first GEM, a Micromatic OC (with internal blade bumps) for an easy DFS. I did try something I have been meaning to for a while, which is use a Schick injector blade in my MMOC. It lined up, locked in, and performed flawlessly....actually it may have been a touch milder than an actual GEM blade. For the lather, it was Valobra Fougere and my Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo. I finished with a hefty splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.
proxy.php

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Please Note: we have an important milestone coming up -- this thread was started on July 22, 2018 -- and given that our next Micromatic Monday will be very close to that date (July 20, 2020), a proposal has been made to celebrate with the thread's first razor....the Micromatic Open Comb. This is just a heads-up / "save the date" or "save the razor". For those without an MMOC, perhaps another Micromatic, and if no Micromatic, then most certainly any other GEM will absolutely work.

I hope all of you will join in, and this will certainly not be the only reminder. As this week progresses, I'll post some history of the thread and it's founder, Twelvefret....and I encourage my fellow "old timers" to do the same. I would love to take credit for remembering this occasion and for the idea of how to celebrate it, but it was our own @GAW9576 who remembered and recommended the MMOC salute....thank you, sir!

We now return to our regularly scheduled shaves!!! :001_smile

Well, the MMOC will be next Monday, as today's shave was already done!

MM Bullet Tip / Personna GEM Blade (8th)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave
RR What the Puck Lime / RR 26mm Monster
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Avon Olander AS Splash
Soap Commander Balm

Wonderful 3 pass shave, smooth as always with the Bullet Tip, being just a smooth easy razor to shave with.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, July 13th 2020- This 1st Generation Featherweight has to be one of the best razors to shave with using a Gem SS PTFE blade IMO. Seldom get irritation or weepers and it always delivers in my sweet spot range of finish.
With a New Gem blade you can get a silky smooth shave usually, might seem like hype but mostly the truth, don't judge a razor by it looks but by it's results.

Razor: Gem Featherweight(1oz) 1st generation-Mfg 1st gen 1950-52, 2nd gen 1952-54-- Nice milder mid range razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade as in very sharp, longevity, cost per 100pc, very predictable wear IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic - It has become one of my favorites to use, good lather, painting, soft tips.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- Excellent scent + Excellent lather in all aspects. They are going to discontinue producing it.
Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Gem 1st gen Featherweight.
MMMonday, July 13th 2020 (2).jpg

Sometimes I leave information for folks who bought a used razor with out information pamphlets.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Please Note: we have an important milestone coming up -- this thread was started on July 22, 2018 -- and given that our next Micromatic Monday will be very close to that date (July 20, 2020), a proposal has been made to celebrate with the thread's first razor....the Micromatic Open Comb. This is just a heads-up / "save the date" or "save the razor". For those without an MMOC, perhaps another Micromatic, and if no Micromatic, then most certainly any other GEM will absolutely work.

I hope all of you will join in, and this will certainly not be the only reminder. As this week progresses, I'll post some history of the thread and it's founder, Twelvefret....and I encourage my fellow "old timers" to do the same. I would love to take credit for remembering this occasion and for the idea of how to celebrate it, but it was our own @GAW9576 who remembered and recommended the MMOC salute....thank you, sir!

We now return to our regularly scheduled shaves!!! :001_smile

Great idea! 👍

GEM MMOC slotted for my 7/20 Micromatic Monday shave. :)

Pushbutton today.
IMG_20200713_071342-01.jpeg

GEM Pushbutton / GEM Persona SS PTFE
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Tabac
Pinaud Clubman

Excellent shave this morning. The PB is on the milder side for me, not quite as mild as the GEM Jr., but still mild. Very easy shaver.

Totally in for the iconic MMOC next week. Mine will be the bumpless variety (BMMOC).

Fast shave, fast post.
2C5B1BFB-CA42-4646-AFA2-DFBC42F008B7.jpeg

MMCP-P
PAL Blue Carbon (5)
Barbasol no brush, no rub-in (I rubbed it in...)
Alum, Lucky Tiger, VIBR/Capt Choice 50/50
DFS (just needed CCS, but the PAL/MMCP team handled two day stubble with ease)

Sorry to miss the big MMOC date, but I don't think I have a beater MMOC to take on the road. I'll check. Keep the home fires burning.

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

20200712_080153.jpg

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (5)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Lather: Stirling: Pharaoh’s Dreamsicle
Aftershave: Stirling Iced Pineapple (Splash)
Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder

D2F7998B-56B1-4386-B4A0-42E3DF9225A0.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10 BBS
Ever Steady Ever Ready!
So far I’ve had five shaves with four different vintage SE razors on this GEM blade, and this Ever Ready razor has been the best so far. Lots of noisy feedback, but an efficient close shave with no post shave discomfort. To be fair to the other GEM razors, all these shaves have been first time affairs so I’m getting used to the vintage SE technique, and all the lathers have been different. I believe that the other GEM razor shaves were all with Italian creams which by nature are not as slick as soaps.
This is the first time I’ve ever used a blade more than three times so I was expecting the worst, but was surprised when the shave went smoothly.
The Stirling Iced Pineapple AS is certainly a nice way to start a hot day.

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (5)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Lather: Stirling: Pharaoh’s Dreamsicle
Aftershave: Stirling Iced Pineapple (Splash)
Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder

D2F7998B-56B1-4386-B4A0-42E3DF9225A0.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10 BBS
Ever Steady Ever Ready!
So far I’ve had five shaves with four different vintage SE razors on this GEM blade, and this Ever Ready razor has been the best so far. Lots of noisy feedback, but an efficient close shave with no post shave discomfort. To be fair to the other GEM razors, all these shaves have been first time affairs so I’m getting used to the vintage SE technique, and all the lathers have been different. I believe that the other GEM razor shaves were all with Italian creams which by nature are not as slick as soaps.
This is the first time I’ve ever used a blade more than three times so I was expecting the worst, but was surprised when the shave went smoothly.
The Stirling Iced Pineapple AS is certainly a nice way to start a hot day.

l just want to be the first to pedantically note: not a 1924 Shovelhead. Looks like a great shave! Ice, ice baby!

0713200944a.jpg

Razor: Gem Damaskeene
Blade: Gem from Walgreens
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Brush: Yaqi Cosmic Blue Badger-24
AS: Thayers Unscented toner

Excellent shave 9.5/10- DFS+. This razor has been in the cupboard for at least five years, but it shaves rather well. First time I've tried this Cella soap, and for a non-tallow product it's really quite nice. It had adequate slickness, lathered easily and well, cushion was okay, and seems to have a decent post-shave. This Yaqi brush is really too big for the smaller soap tubs; although it says 24, it acts more like 28+ knot. I made a bit of a mess today. I'll need to save this brush for wider tubs in the future.

I did try something I have been meaning to for a while, which is use a Schick injector blade in my MMOC. It lined up, locked in, and performed flawlessly....actually it may have been a touch milder than an actual GEM blade.
Did you notch the blade in the center? All my MMOCs have a stud in the center that gets in the way.

Top Bottom