What's new

Tatara Nodachi Breaking a Blade!

But do you go for the Masamune, Masamune Nodachi, or something like a Karve or Timeless?
I'm giving the rigidity edge to the Nodachi over the Karve which appears to have a less sharp bend.. close call with the TB/TA... picking nits .but the greater bottom support of the Nodachi over both is there....
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've used Astra SS in the Nodachi without drama. Pretty weird.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Yeah in all fairness this is the first time its happened. Ive had this razor for a few weeks, perhaps I over tightened it? I cant say for sure. I will say that this particular 5 pack of Astras has felt off somehow so I cant say for sure its quality isnt just compromised and that contributed to it. Gonna test a fresh astra in it tomorrow and see if everything is as it was. I used my ATT s1 for a few days and then came back to this and ever since its been some weird shaves. Which is odd cause the Nodachi was love at first stroke and every shave was perfect until i stopped using it for 4 days if that.

The photo suggests it has broken along a fulcrum line of the base plate. One incident is not enough to draw a conclusion, you need a number of such breakages to determine if there is a problem.
I don't know if too much wax on this particular blade stopped it moving freely when clamped down by the cap; a possibility to consider. Check if the blade moves freely within the bars in the cap.
It is not something to worry about unless it happens repeatedly.
I have never had this problem so it is intriguing.
Seems to be fairly snug even before I screw it down, just by pushing the blade over the tabs.

I'm giving the rigidity edge to the Nodachi over the Karve which appears to have a less sharp bend.. close call with the TB... picking nits .but the greater bottom support of the Nodachi over both is there....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That thing is an engineering marvel, just from that picture its clear it is going to clamp the edges like a ..umm .. err .. well Clamp :)

That thing is an engineering marvel, just from that picture its clear it is going to clamp the edges like a ..umm .. err .. well Clamp :)
I should mention the Colonial Silversmith is in a similar class with the Karve too in terms of rigidity.

I must admit, Tatara sounds more... marketable than Colhona. :biggrin1:

Still, one could cry cultural appropriation, in my opinion. But then, I don't know much about this business and I might be wrong.
If you don’t know much about their business, why would you throw around the concept (accusation) of cultural appropriation with no basis for doing so? You had the time to Google the term colhonas, perhaps you should have used that time to get to know their business...

If you don’t know much about their business, why would you throw around the concept (accusation) of cultural appropriation with no basis for doing so? You had the time to Google the term colhonas, perhaps you should have used that time to get to know their business...
Indeed.

The Tatara guys did a Reddit AMA in February for anyone interested.

Write an email directly to Tatara? I've had black Nodachi for a short period of time now and it seems easy to overtighten. Might be the issue, might be not. Might be the quality of the blade, might be not. I usually do not remove blade between shaves but this razor seems to leave so much moisture so tight between blade and a head I do it with this razor so it can dry between shaves. Otherwise, there will be moisture left in the razor. At least I think that must not be a good thing at long term storage. That way you could check the blade between shaves too.

But I would, in your case, definitely write to Tatara with pictures attached. At least if this happens twice.

What is cultural appropriation anyway? I thought that was how a culture got developed over time - it borrowed elements from other cultures and it became localised and indigenous-sized over time. This phenomenon is seen very clearly in the field of martial arts for example. Okinawa masters learned southern Chinese kungfu and took it back to Okinawa where it became karate.

Where marketing is concerned, is a term like "little John" only able to be used by an English company and if a china based company wanted to use it to call its latest single edged razor, that is cultural appropriation? Or if an american company wished to call its latest razor the "Scimitar" is that cultural appropriation from Arabic culture?

In the end if it is done with respect and affection for the subject matter that is being referenced, then the outcome will be distinguished by a quality that will make the association something that is also flattering to the former.

Write an email directly to Tatara? I've had black Nodachi for a short period of time now and it seems easy to overtighten. Might be the issue, might be not. Might be the quality of the blade, might be not. I usually do not remove blade between shaves but this razor seems to leave so much moisture so tight between blade and a head I do it with this razor so it can dry between shaves. Otherwise, there will be moisture left in the razor. At least I think that must not be a good thing at long term storage. That way you could check the blade between shaves too.

But I would, in your case, definitely write to Tatara with pictures attached. At least if this happens twice.
I would be looking at blade QC before even contemplating an issue with the razor. Unless, as you say, it happens with a different blade.

I would be looking at blade QC before even contemplating an issue with the razor. Unless, as you say, it happens with a different blade.

I have this razor in my "cart" (the mildest of the mild one) tempting me. (The only reason it is sitting there, I actually do not like the modern look ). Quite honestly I think Tatara could use this thread as advertising. Our tolerances are so tight, we scoff at your sub-par cheap *** blades!

I feel bad because you own every expensive razor I’m curious about
This should in no way make you feel bad. It changes nothing about your current state.
I am happy for him that he is able to afford and use whatever razors he desires. It doesn't change my enjoyment of my own gear one whit, just as if my neighbor drives home tomorrow in a brand new Lamborghini it wouldn't change the fact that I have a capable vehicle that I enjoy.

I'm probably overstepping my bounds here, but the sentiment you expressed seems to me an almost certain way of increasing your frustration and decreasing your enjoyment of life. I would recommend that you work on losing that sort of sentiment as soon as you can.

The part I feel bad about is that he’s a go-to person for me to pester regarding these wares.

Ahh I see @jmudrick what is your current most ludicrously clamped down razor? I am guessing it is the Tatara from your pics (and I see they even advertise it as being designed to clamp the blade down as rigidly as possible / minimizing flex ) ? As per @thombrogan's observation, if you do not own it yet please buy that magical wolfman people go on about and report back ;) [ Going back through this forum I noticed you swapped out their ugly handle to something a bit more classic looking which is awesome ]

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I never told anyone to buy a Wolfman. Not even a WR1 with 1.55mm gap and spiral barberpole-style knurling…

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
march to Portugal

On it! Wait. Will it be free-range bologna? I‘m not getting in the face of people nice enough to make swanky razors I want to buy if you’re only serving caged bologna.

On a direly more serious note: have you tried the Nodachi OC plate? The folks at Tatara told me it has the same gap and exposure as the Nodachi SB plate.

most ludicrously clamped down razor?

Your AS-D2 should be on such a list, no? It’s likely the Tatara Masamune is clamped more tightly than the Tatara Masamune Nodachi as less of the blade is exposed, but likely not enough to dismiss the efficiency provided by the Nodachi’s positive blade exposure.

I can’t help but predict the answer will be a Shake Sharp or GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

Top Bottom