What's new

Paladin questions/help

I have been looking at their brushes for a few months now and am interested but was hoping folks here could offer some input.

How often does Paladin release new brushes?

While I like the brushes on their site right now, I feel like the 28mm could be too big for me. The biggest knot I have right now is in my Chubby 2 synthetic. My current badger is a 24mm two tone Rudy Vey. Could some one be kind enough to post a side by side of a Chubby 2 with a Paladin 28mm?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The releases are best described as irregular, but Ken does announce them in advance, usually.

The 28's are pretty big, as requested a quick snap of a 28 mm Paladin with Chubby 2 Super & Synthetics ..

IMG_9669.JPG

garyg

Thanks.

Not sure if it’s just the angle/view there but the Paladin looks pretty similar in size to the Chubby’s.

They are pretty close .. all 3 have 28 mm knots, the Falstaff's though is a couple mm higher lofted than the Chubby's, plus a couple mm taller handle ... from above .. same 3 brushes- Chubby 2 Super, Paladin 28 Falstaff, Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger

IMG_9670.JPG

They are pretty close .. all 3 have 28 mm knots, the Falstaff's though is a couple mm higher lofted than the Chubby's, plus a couple mm taller handle ... from above .. same 3 brushes- Chubby 2 Super, Paladin 28 Falstaff, Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger

View attachment 1124434
That is very interesting to me because I definitely don’t feel that my Chubby 2 Synthetic is ‘huge’. I do know that my Chubby has a 27mm knot.

garyg

Remember that the Chubby 2 Synths came in two different generations - the first, pictured above, was denoted Synthetic Badger, the latest version that I am aware of was called Synthetic Bristle .. and I recall some difference in lofts between them, I just don't recall whether they grew taller/larger or smaller

Remember that the Chubby 2 Synths came in two different generations - the first, pictured above, was denoted Synthetic Badger, the latest version that I am aware of was called Synthetic Bristle .. and I recall some difference in lofts between them, I just don't recall whether they grew taller/larger or smaller
Ah gotcha. Did not know about that. Mine is certainly the newer one since I just purchased it last month.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have an older Chubby 2 synthetic badger; it is a 52mm loft and just right for me in terms of knot size. I believe the later synthetic bristle has a 50mm loft which makes it harder to splay. I had a Chubby 2 in Super and it was far too large, almost unusable, and I sold it. Mine bloomed a lot more than the example shown above and was far larger than my Chubby 2 synthetic which has no bloom at all. My upper limit for a natural brush knot is 25mm but I can go larger with a Simpson synth.

I have an older Chubby 2 synthetic badger; it is a 52mm loft and just right for me in terms of knot size. I believe the later synthetic bristle has a 50mm loft which makes it harder to splay. I had a Chubby 2 in Super and it was far too large, almost unusable, and I sold it. Mine bloomed a lot more than the example shown above and was far larger than my Chubby 2 synthetic which has no bloom at all. My upper limit for a natural brush knot is 25mm but I can go larger with a Simpson synth.
That makes sense. The ‘bloom’ means the size expansion once the hair absorbs water, right. Understandable that the synthetics would expand less than the badger hair and that is something I did not think about at all.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That makes sense. The ‘bloom’ means the size expansion once the hair absorbs water, right. Understandable that the synthetics would expand less than the badger hair and that is something I did not think about at all.
Bloom is the natural splaying or relaxing of the knot which happens naturally with use and is nothing to do with the brush being wet. This bloomed appearance is retained even when the brush is dry. Some brushes will look much smaller when new compared to after a few months of use. Some owners like the aesthetic of a large bloom and I suspect they increase it by fanning the knot open while it is drying. I prefer my brushes to retain as close a narrow shape as possible as to when they were new and so I dry them accordingly. Brushes with higher lofts and less backbone will generally bloom more, and synths not at all although some have reported that the knot may relax slightly.

Bloom is the natural splaying or relaxing of the knot which happens naturally with use and is nothing to do with the brush being wet. This bloomed appearance is retained even when the brush is dry. Some brushes will look much smaller when new compared to after a few months of use. Some owners like the aesthetic of a large bloom and I suspect they increase it by fanning the knot open while it is drying. I prefer my brushes to retain as close a narrow shape as possible as to when they were new and so I dry them accordingly. Brushes with higher lofts and less backbone will generally bloom more, and synths not at all although some have reported that the knot may relax slightly.
Very helpful information. Had little to no idea about this stuff.

I have lots of paladins. Almost 30 at this point. Just sort of happened lol. No 24mm in my collection. Probably 2/3 are 26mm and 1/3 28mm. I prefer the 28mm when I’m shaving my head. When I’m just cleaning up my neck and cheeks around the beard I usually grab for a 26mm.

As others mentioned, he usually announces releases a couple days in advance. Sometimes he posts in the vendor area here. But I think all are on Twitter? Sometimes he randomly drops in the barely seconds section on his website so look there for a little bit of savings.

Enjoy if you get one. I gave away all of my other brushes once I started using his except a SOC I use for travel.

Do any or all of them have glue bumps? Might impact the makers loft selection.

Top Bottom