What's new

Oyster toppings?

I grew up loving seafood and have traditionally loved an oyster with a little bit of hot sauce. But in recent years I've tried everything from absinthe to kimchi on my half shells and was just wondering whats some of your favorite oyster toppings?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Mignonette, pesto with lemon, or drop one in a shot glass of your favorite Bloody Mary recipe. Sweet soy ginger and lime are also a nice compliment (spiked with a dollop of sriracha if you want some heat).

this thread makes me want to move back to boston ... yum!

I am a huge naked fan .. am okay w/ a small bit of the generic vinaigrette thingy that normally comes with a dozen or two (or three (or four ... ))

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Naked or some cocktail sauce and a saltine. Ice cold is my favorite but I've eaten hundreds right out of the bay kicked up while wade-fishing.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Melt a small amount of butter in a bowl, add ketchup to get the consistency you want, then hot sauce and lemon juice to taste. Dip the little buggers in it when eating.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes to horseradish, yes to a drop of spiced cocktail sauce, add a squirt of lemon juice.

That's one of my favorites, too. Light on everything, though. If mignonette comes with them, I'll probably drizzle a little bit on 2 or 3 out of a dozen, but I probably won't ask for it if it doesn't show up. Naked is mighty good, too.

It's very much a matter of whim, and I also like to mix it up a little.

Depends on where they are from. Farther north, naked, farther south some lemon with a bit of horseradish or Tabasco. Straight from the bay is always naked.

Tom

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
With all due respect to ya "nakeds" out there... OP is asking for toppings, no? Just sayin'.

Depends on where they are from. Farther north, naked, farther south some lemon with a bit of horseradish or Tabasco. Straight from the bay is always naked.

Tom
I always wondered if this is because people think the warmer water could mean more of a chance of bacteria, and the lemon helps reduce the risk of getting sick? I understand that's part of the logic with lime and coronas (the beer)? I could be way off but just something I've heard. Just given my current location we typically get Malpeques, my favorite come from Tyne Valley but Raspberry Point are more common, but all are farmed in pretty cold water, some are even harvested (tonged) through the ice.

Reactions: Avi
I always wondered if this is because people think the warmer water could mean more of a chance of bacteria, and the lemon helps reduce the risk of getting sick? I understand that's part of the logic with lime and coronas (the beer)? I could be way off but just something I've heard. Just given my current location we typically get Malpeques, my favorite come from Tyne Valley but Raspberry Point are more common, but all are farmed in pretty cold water, some are even harvested (tonged) through the ice.

No worries from me. Just my palate prefers them with a bit extra. The harvesting location and time has a lot to do with the harmful bacteria. In the NY coastal area (I assume elsewhere as well) harvesting is regulated based on storm runoff and outside bacterial counts. Folks in the know have advised me that the majority of food issues from raw shellfish are from illegally harvested shellfish from closed areas.

Tom

Top Bottom