What's new

July 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. Used my 26mm Quatermoon synthetic for the first time and fell in love with it. Just waiting for my shave with it in couple days.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used my new Simpsons Astor in Best just now. I have 2 Zenith Manchurians, 4 Simpsons Manchurians, a few Simpsons in Super, one in SilverTip, & 4 outstanding Paladin brushes, but I must confess that if I'm honest with myself I would be just as happy if all I had was the handful of Simpsons' Best brushes that I own. When you get a good one you've got it all. This Astor is a good one.

Loading up
05EE3CD3-7949-43E2-AA76-81F5F096D48E.jpeg

and this is for the second pass.
7508DEA2-C584-444E-9AF5-C03238724240.jpeg

Happy shaves gentlemen.

Still in. SOTD - 10 JUL 2020

SOTD 07102020.jpg

Sawdust Creation Big Red brush w/ 26mm Quartermoon knot
Stirling Orange Chill soap
Fatip Lo Storto OC Slant razor
Astra SP (1)
Stirling Orange Chill WH

Great shave. The razor did bite a bit but I had no irritations at the end. Very efficient but still comfortable tool.

No temptations so far. I did see some cool soaps in the working but I got plenty to go through and enjoy currently.

Still in. SOTD - 11 JUL 2020

SOTD 07112020.jpg

Stirling Boss batch 2 synthetic
CF Nightingale
Fatip OC Slant
Astra SP (2)
Zingari Man splash

Decent shave. The soap lathered up easily and the brush felt okay. Razor felt a little rough; maybe the blade combo is not right. Couple nicks but no irritations.

Saw some beautiful brushes but I'll let em go to other lucky people. I'm good.

Still in.

SWS_20200711.jpg

Razor: Gillette NEW LC + ATT copper handle
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Williams
Brush: The Goodfellas' smile "Wild Hog" boar

Be well, be safe, be strong, and get outside if you can...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still thriving. Able to sit up and take nourishment. Today I used my Simpsons M7 synthetic. Absolutely the best synthetic brush I have ever used.

Still in! SOTD - 12 JUL 2020

SOTD 07122020.jpg

Great shave. Enjoying the Storto a bit more.

I always see beautiful brushes around but I'm sticking to the GRUME!

I'm out. I got an email from Shawn at Chatillon Lux a couple of days ago announcing that he's getting out of the aftershave/toner business to focus on his fragrance business. I have a ton of loyalty points with CL, so I became worried about losing them. I could use them on his EdTs/EdPs, but I've got several lifetimes worth already.

Chatillon Lux is my favorite aftershave. I've got every prior scent he's created, to my knowledge, with doubles for almost all of them. The new one, La Petite Prairie, was released yesterday at 10 am Seattle time. I used up most of my points to acquire one bottle, but decided I needed to support Shawn (a great guy) with an actual purchase. So I bought a second bottle.

I feel good about making it over six months in my attempt to succeed with the 2020 sabbatical, a personal best, and I try every year. I also feel good about supporting Chatillon Lux with a (minor) purchase.

I also feel good that Shawn will be providing scents to Declaration Grooming for use in Declaration's aftershaves. Declaration aftershaves are among my top three (along with Maol Grooming and, of course, Chatillon Lux), so I'm sure I'll keep in touch with the amazing scents of Chatillon Lux.
I’m out. First time making it to second on the list, and now I’m the second one out. It comes in twos, right? Oh wait, that’s not right. Well what can I say, I went down with some SE’s....specifically 5 Schicks and a Gem. The Gem is going to go to someone I’m trying to convert to wet shaving, but the Schicks were just a Treewhalen thing :blushing:. A couple of black handle E2’s (different variants and rare’ish to be sure) plus a few other E’s and a navy blue G. I’ve got more Schicks than you can shake a stick at, but there’s something about trying every different type I can find that I cant seem to resist. I’m also doing a Pass Around of a 3-D printed Schick in another universe. Okay, that’s my story. I’ll see you guys in August and will be playing quietly at home. Hang tough, my friends!
Failed, got a chance to grab a soap and splash of A&E kaizen.. an offer I could not refuse

I’ll back in next month

Sorry for the delay, gents. I went camping for four days and then had a lot to deal with when I returned home.

It looks like we're a small group this month, and getting smaller! We've had three people fall out, which means it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) Flintstone65 - out (7/6: SE razors)
3) @Timeclo
4) @RTM
5) @Sotiris_A
6) pbrmhl - out (7/6: Aftershave)
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @Schnitzel52
9) @bjm
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @Malort
12) StratMan - out (7/13: Soap and aftershave)
13) @Chef455

If you're one of the gents who succumbed to the call of the wild, feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.

Top Bottom