What's new

Omega 10810 vs 10029

Update: I just bought an Omega 10104 (26/56mm) from Connaught Shaving. I ordered my Fatip Storto (slant) and adding the brush to my cart did not bump my shipping, so I'm getting another cool brush for £5.75

Nice. Never tried the 10104, but it looks like a winner. FWIW, the 10108 is also a worthy boar available at Connaught, and has one of my favorite handle shapes, even if the material is cheap.

In turn I'll report that your thread made me reacquire a 49 and buy a ProPro for the first time. I had a 49 for a long time, bought a backup which was "borrowed" by a family member and now lives somewhere in TX, bought a replacement for the backup, had the original die on me, sold the backup, bought another 49 and sold it before breaking in, and now here I am. The 49 is a sentimental favorite, as I used mine at the hospital the day my son was born. It was my first boar other than the VDH I bought when I started wetshaving, and I used it for thousands of shaves.

The ProPro appeals because of the shorter, scrubbier loft. I should have both by the end of the week.

I already have a 10005 and a 11137, by the way, and they are fantastic.

Never tried the 10104, but it looks like a winner. FWIW, the 10108 is also a worthy boar available at Connaught, and has one of my favorite handle shapes, even if the material is cheap.

In turn I'll report that your thread made me reacquire a 49 and buy a ProPro for the first time.
I considered the 10108 also. Connaught lists it at 27/55mm and Fendrihan lists it at 27/60mm. My Proraso Pro is 27/57mm so it looked redundant. I hope you like your just ordered Proraso Pro. I really like mine.

I have a similar story with my Pro-49. It was my first brush after 40 years of using a brush (and razor) my dad gave me. I found it too big, bought a Semogue 620 and used that exclusively for more than 2 years while the Pro-49 sat idle. When my best friend turned 50, I got him a birth year Tech and have him my Pro-49.

Fast forward a few years and I was a few bucks short of free shipping at IB on Black Friday and there was the Pro-49 for like $7 (just enough to get me over). Tastes change, and now I love the brush. It's the only brush I use with almond scented Italian soft soaps like Cella and Valobra Almond. Very satisfying big sloppy lather.

Proraso Pro came today. I have never encountered a glue bump quite like this in an Omega. I will give it a chance, but I'm much more excited about the 49 arriving. I've got a 10066 coming in next week. Way back in 2010, I had Rudy Vey drop a couple of 66 knots into some custom handles and used them for ages. I intend to transplant this knot as well as a 40033 I've been breaking in for a couple of weeks into some different handles. Just playing around with boar options this summer, mostly Semogue. But honestly, I pick up an Omega and the knot just suits me, no matter what size it is. I love the feel of their bristles.

Proraso Pro came today. I have never encountered a glue bump quite like this in an Omega. I will give it a chance, but I'm much more excited about the 49 arriving.
I just compared the glue bump on my Proraso Pro and Pro-49 and they're identical - about a 12-15mm. The Proraso had less loft, so the bump effect is larger.

I intend to transplant this knot as well as a 40033 I've been breaking in for a couple of weeks into some different handles.
Be very careful when splitting the 40033 handle. I cut the bottom off above the grooves, scored it vertically at 90 degree spacing, then split the handle with a mallet and screwdriver. Since the knot is well glued in there, I wound up splitting the knot in half too and had to epoxy it back together.

Knot should still be fine, but best avoid the issue by gingerly splitting the handle rather than treating it like a walnut ;-)

That's good info. I had intended to drill out the bottom and then push out the cup with a dowel. Sounds like I may need a different approach.

I'm going to spend the summer with these Semogues, but the Omegas will remain a constant in my den.

That's good info. I had intended to drill out the bottom and then push out the cup with a dowel. Sounds like I may need a different approach.
Hmmm, that might actually work. The amount of glue between the knot and the inside of the black ring is not very tall, plus you're not "cleaving" the knot. If I had to do it again, I would try that first.

I got the knot out of the 40033. I did try tapping it out from the bottom, which works with bigger Omega knots, but that sucker was in there tight. So, I cut off the bottom and then gently squeezed until the cup worked its way up a bit in the socket, then pulled it. I wanted the cup off of the knot, though, and that took some more doing. I cut the cup part of the way free, then used a hammer and pliers to crack the cup and get the knot. Lost a couple of bits of epoxy from the bottom of the knot, but it's intact. Now I need a handle.

Top Bottom