What's new

Worcestershire sauce

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No Worcestershire for me. Yorkshire!
Specifically, Sheffield.

View attachment 1092604

It's kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. Much better in my rather biased opinion. If you can track down and try a bottle of Hendo's as it's known round here, you might just have bought your last bottle of Lea and Perrins.

Thanks to you, Amazon is still out of this elixer of the gods. :)

Wooster-shur and Glosster-shur seem the best pronunciations to me; I lived in the UK for years.
Yep, I went and listened to some UK videos from those areas and yes - that's about it. People sometimes omitted the 'shur' part, and some of the accents in the UK tended more toward "Glahstuh" but I'm guessing that was more the effect of a rural accent. I've lived all over America from the South up to darned near Canada and both coasts in towns from 100 people up to as large as Los Angeles and New York. Our pronunciations across regions and population sizes are very different. If you ask someone what a Lodge/Griswold frying pan is made of, the answer will come back anywhere from "I-Run" (Massachusetts) to Iorn (Texas) to Ahrn (Mississippi) and sometimes even the commonly accepted pronounciation "Iron". So pronounciation probably varies across Britain too. Regional pronounciation of words is interesting. I have friends from "Pierre" South Dakota and the local pronounciation is "Peer" You can always tell someone who is not from Oregon because they call it "Or-E-Gone" whereas locals call it "Ora-gun"

Last edited:
Quite a few years ago, the Gloucestershire Aircraft company, who, amongst other things, developed the first jet which took its first flight about a mile away from my house, changed its name to the Gloster Aircraft Company as people round the world couldn't pronounce Gloucestershire!

The company started as a bicycle maker in nearby Cheltenham1

Gareth

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If you ask someone what a Lodge/Griswold frying pan is made of, the answer will come back anywhere from "I-Run" (Massachusetts) to Iorn (Texas) to Ahrn (Mississippi) and sometimes even the commonly accepted pronounciation "Iron".
Someone from Massachusetts wouldn't say "I-Run." There wouldn't be any "R" in it at all. They would pronounce it "I-yun" or "EYE-yun." People from New England, Australia, New Zealand, and parts but not all of England have what is called a 'non-rhotic" accent. One aspect of the non rhotic accent is the omission of the letter "R"- that's where the whole "Pahk the cah in Hahvuhd Yahd" or the Aussie "shrimp on the bahby" comes from.

See if you can follow this. I'm not the clearest writer. Curiously, while non-rhotic speakers generally drop "R", there is one place where they do say R, & that's when a word ends with R and the following word begins with a vowel. But they also insert an R where there shouldn't be one when one word ends in a vowel and the following word begins with one. If you know someone from Boston, Australia, NZ, or Lincolnshire or other parts of England where people still have non-rhotic accents ask them to read these 2 lines:
1. The tuner is on the table.
2. The tuna is on the table.
They will sound identical. Because "tuna" ends in a vowel and "is" begins with one, a guy from Boston will insert an "R" at the end of tuna.

The non-rhotic accent, by the way, explains in large part why Worcestershire & Gloucestershire are pronounced as they are.

Top Bottom