What's new

What country makes or made the best straight razors.

Oh I know. I thought it would be fun to see all the answers and debates that will surely arise.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Japanese probably had the best quality control, I’ve only seen one bad one and I’ve had a few of them.

Filarmonica in my limited experience equals them, I’ve never seen a badly ground Filly though I’ve owned fewer of them than Japanese razors.

A lot of Swedish razors are equal, especially pre-war Swedish. Not all were finished that well depending on when they were made, but a primo CVH was certainly as good as most Japanese razors.

I think our ancestors settled that argument at the world fairs. I am not aware of any gold medal winners being Japanese, British, Swedish or Spanish. However, To my knowledge France got 3 (Le Grelot, Fontenille and Vedel) and the German 1 (Fermarud).

I tend to agree that the quality of the blade is impeccable, however all the Japanese folding razor seem to have plastic scales. Granted, some are nice, still I find that disappointing.

How is this disappointing? That's just one of the gorgeous scales on some of my Japanese razors.

20200707_203508_compress97.jpg

I tend to agree that the quality of the blade is impeccable, however all the Japanese folding razor seem to have plastic scales. Granted, some are nice, still I find that disappointing.
I'm personally thankful for that today. If they were celluloid, a lot of them would be in pretty bad shape, or nearing the end of life.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quality control on vintage razors pre WWII are all fantastic IMO. Best in this regard is very subjective...

Hamburg/Wald/Solingen, Sheffield, French and Swedish razors that I have seen/used are all great/best. I have no experience with Japanese razors but would include them based on what I have seen.

I cant comment on modern razors but would likely out Japanese right at the top...

Top Bottom