What's new

Buying things that are too nice to use for their intended purpose.

This is a silly thing that I do. I bet I'm not the only one. The best personal example I can give is this: I have a really nice pair of US-made Red Wing work boots that I wouldn't dream of going out and actually DOING any work in that might result in them getting scuffed. I wear my Caterpillar work boots for that, and even though they're nice too, they're not so nice that I won't step in mud with them or do something that might result in them being scraped/gouged/scuffed.

I've had guitars in the past that were so nice, I was hesitant to pick them up and really dig into them, which is how I like to play guitar. For that reason, I now prefer beater guitars.

Some of my childhood friends had parents who did the whole plastic sheets over the furniture thing. My own grandmother had a sofa that, while she didn't cover it in plastic, she wouldn't allow anyone to sit on it.

Isn't that silly? Do you guys have examples of this madness in your own lives?

1594137379315.png

I had a Henry Golden Boy rifle could not bring my self to shoot it so I sold it and picked up a Ruger 10/22 to plink with.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do a similar thing with aftershave and cologne. I have many to choose from and almost always select my least favourite so as to use it up. I keep my favourites for a special occasion, whatever that is. As a result for most of the time I am wearing my least favourite scents, while my collection of favourite vintage colognes, which would last several lifetimes, sits on the shelf at home Where is the sense in that? 🤣

When my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer they told her that she had about six months to live but that they were going to do some more tests. Tests came back and they said three months but they had more tests. Those test came back and they told her she had about two weeks left. We brought her home and she wanted something out of her closet. In digging for what she wanted I found a ton or the nicest clothes that she owned. Brand new, with the tags still on them. The really nice stuff that had been gifted to her over the years. So I say "Why don't you wear this?" and she says "I'm saving that as it's too nice to wear". I tell her that I'm not sure what she's saving it for as she and I both know she has very little time left. I convinced her to wear the clothes and she thoroughly enjoyed doing so for the four weeks that she got to spend with us before she passed.

The point is, use and enjoy the items that you own. What are you saving them for? So that your kids can sell or discard them when you are gone?

No. I used to do that, until I started going to estate sales and thrift shops, and seeing what was left of people's lives sitting around with a price tag on it. People spend their entire life making do, wanting something nice, so they save up and buy it, and then never enjoy it. When they die, it gets sold or donated out by their kids, or sits in a drawer waiting for their kids to sell or donate it. I use and enjoy everything I own. I take care and maintain it, but it will never just sit in a drawer, safe, or closet. You're only here once, and I've never seen a coffin with a luggage rack.

When my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer they told her that she had about six months to live but that they were going to do some more tests. Tests came back and they said three months but they had more tests. Those test came back and they told her she had about two weeks left. We brought her home and she wanted something out of her closet. In digging for what she wanted I found a ton or the nicest clothes that she owned. Brand new, with the tags still on them. The really nice stuff that had been gifted to her over the years. So I say "Why don't you wear this?" and she says "I'm saving that as it's too nice to wear". I tell her that I'm not sure what she's saving it for as she and I both know she has very little time left. I convinced her to wear the clothes and she thoroughly enjoyed doing so for the four weeks that she got to spend with us before she passed.

The point is, use and enjoy the items that you own. What are you saving them for? So that your kids can sell or discard them when you are gone?

That's a sobering story.

To clarify though, I don't necessarily have things sitting around that I don't touch or use at all - I just have things that I don't use the way they're intended for fear of damaging them. I still wear my Red Wings, just not for work. I still play my expensive guitars, I just don't bash out punk rock tunes on them.

But yeah. My username is all about this, actually. Remember you are mortal. We don't "own" anything. We're just temporary caretakers.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Isn't that silly? Do you guys have examples of this madness in your own lives?

Not really. I've sold some things though, that I deemed too nice to use.

For example, several years ago I bought some KTC Nepros socket sets. They are beautifully made with deep chrome that looks more like jewelry than hard use hand tools. I sold them immediately as I knew I could never use them and mess them up. I've had a few very expensive Japanese kitchen knives too that I sold without ever using. They were just too nice. Works of art.

On the other hand, I also own things like Shimano Stella fishing reels, Wolverine 1,000 mile boots, Chris Reeves knives, Alden Indy's, etc. I try to buy good quality things that will last, and use them as intended. Sometimes hard use, and I don't worry about them.

Nope. Everything I buy gets used as intended.

Guitars, boots, razors, soaps and aftershaves, whatever.

Entropy is the way of things; like you said, we’re caretakers. If you let those boots sit for 50 years they might still look new, but in that case, what did you buy them for? So someone else can wear 50 yr old boots that look new?

There have been a few threads like this about brushes, guns etc....I work hard for my money and buy the best things I can afford so as to get the quality I desire. I’ve done my time with cheap razors and guitars, and don’t feel the need to buy any more so as not to mess up my nice ones.

Guitars to me are tools to make music, and mine show the scars from that. I have a killer LP that was built by a friend of mine, and it was the guitar Gibson wouldn’t build me no matter how much $ I offered them.

Basically a LP Standard, ebony board, SS frets, PRS pickups, gold MOP inlays etc....I’ve beaten the crap out of that thing playing everything from blues to metal to doom/sludge and wouldn’t trade a second of it to have it sitting in a case in my office ‘looking nice’.

I get how people think and see it often, but to answer your question, no I don’t have this issue going on.

I'm buying something to use it as intended, if not then I feel like I am wasting money and space that the item takes up.
every year or so I go through my entire apartment, and I throw out or sell all items I am not using that are just around collecting dust, this involves clothes, furniture,gadgets and anything really.
If I am not using something, I would rather sell it to someone who would cherish it and use it, instead og just being a hoarder, if the item is worthless then I throw it out.
I just don't like keeping stuff around if I'm not gonna use it, and it kinda bothers me knowing that someone else might cherish it more than me, makes me feel like I am being greedy and taking things for granted.. Kind of a luxury problem we got on our hands, so that's my personal view on this.

Nope . . . I may buy something fancy, but it will be used/enjoyed for what it is. Whether it's a nice razor, a fine whisky, or a top-notch cigar, there is no point in hanging onto these things, imo.

The notion of keeping something "mint in box" has always struck me as silly.

My dad put everything away. It wasn't worth buying him anything other than Booze, cigars or pipe tobacco. Anything else got put away 'for special occasions'. When he stopped drinking and smoking we were stuffed. Nobody knew what to do.

When I cleared out his home after he died he had dozens of pairs of trousers, and other stuff, under his bed unworn. Turned out he was buying himself stuff for years and didn't use it.

Yeah he bought himself a new couch and wouldn't let us sit on it. It was for guests. Dunno who the hell they were because nobody liked him anyway. The only visitors he got were his two sons and we weren't allowed on the stinkin couch.

Turns out he didn't spend his money either because we found it all when we cleared his home, so all's well that ends well eh?

I’ll splurge in the occasional expensive item. They always get used though, boots and jackets will get worn for work or special occasions and my cameras always get used

I’ll splurge in the occasional expensive item. They always get used though, boots and jackets will get worn for work or special occasions and my cameras always get used
I don’t really buy big ticket items for myself but I do buy what will make me happy. I bought a pair of brown 8 hole dr. Martens 3 years ago because I loved the docs I had 20 some and 15 some years ago (still have the 15 year old pair but soles are worn down and smooth especially since I wore them as motorcycle boots). They are comfortable as hell and I oil them frequently. I’m ok with spending money on items I enjoy and will last if taken care of.

My thing that fits this criteria is wine. I always sit on the nice bottles because I'm saving them for an occasion that never comes. Tonight never feels like a special enough night for the good stuff for some reason.

A lot of this kind of rings true, but i try to get use out of everything I own, but many some of these ring true.. I've used a lot of stuff i don't love so that when I use the stuff I love, I can really enjoy it.... I have to remember to enjoy the stuff more often if not everyday, as it's just stuff and makes each day better.

I keep my favourites for a special occasion, whatever that is.

People spend their entire life making do, wanting something nice, so they save up and buy it, and then never enjoy it.

I try to buy good quality things that will last, and use them as intended. Sometimes hard use, and I don't worry about them.

My thing that fits this criteria is wine. I always sit on the nice bottles because I'm saving them for an occasion that never comes. Tonight never feels like a special enough night for the good stuff for some reason.

I've been trying to open a bottle more often.. not just to drink what i have, but to keep my tolerance up!

great topic! i don't try to not use anything, but time definitely flies in between uses!

I have a lot of folding knives, Benchmade, Spyderco etc. that have numbered blades so they just sit in a locked box.

I have a wine rack and half of it Is full of expensive bottles that I or the wife have received as gifts. The wife has declared them “too good to drink” so they are waiting for a special occasion the never comes. Tuesday night is plenty special in my eyes but what would I know.

Top Bottom