What's new

Muhle R41 My Thoughts

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Short Version: My favorite razor by a long shot. Better than my Schone/Fatip, Carbon CX, Feather AS-D2, Feather Popular razors. It shaves better and leaves my face less stressed than those.

The Long Version: Up until now, I considered that I preferred either milder razors or if a bit more efficient, needed a highly clamped blade. At a graduation party I found out my neighbor was a wet shaver. Conversation ensued and he has my Carbon CX for a month and I his R41.

I've used it for 11 shaves now with the same Personna MedPrep blade. I've had excellent shaves since the get go. I was cautious given everything I've ever read on this razor and half expected to hate it. Instead it is my daily driver.

Blade feel? You bet. In the past I enjoyed the type of razors you rather wondered if there was a blade in them and confirmed there was by feeling where your whiskers no longer were. This is very different to that. This razor gives lots of blade feel and I think that is why it works so much better than other razors for me.

My skin is not super sensitive, but I can get razor burn or irritation sometimes. I have oily skin and don't require much in the way of balm or AS, especially not in summer. I'm not prone to ingrown, but the hair at the base of my neck grows very close to the skin.

Shaving style: I shave every day. Feel like a bum if I don't. I can use any of my razors as daily drivers, some are better in that role than others. The R41 is the best in that role, bar none including my SE razors. I'm a two pass shaver. WTG, ATG. Personally I don't get any advantage by doing XTG, my upper lip being the only exception. This razor would require great great care to go ATG on my upper lip. I've done it at slight angles, but honestly it shaves so close with WTG and XTG there that there is no point to risk bloodshed for 4 more hours of BBS. This is one case where I think the tight blade clamping of other DE razors such as the Schone/Fatip or Feather AS-D2 or almost any SE due to the thick blade makes ATG easy whereas flimsy DE blades not clamped near the edge can be problematic for some in general or some parts on an individuals face. (i.e, perhaps you can't go ATG with the R41 at all and I do just fine except on my upper lip, YMMV).

Some random points or observances I have on this razor

• I can and do shave daily with the R41. (approaching two weeks of daily shaves)
  • My skin feels better than with any other razor I've used. Even when there was no irritation at rest, if I was to grab or pull or tug on my cheeks, in certain areas I could feel a little irritation at times. Not all the time but some of the time. .
  • To the point above, the weather has been very hot and humid where I live. Normally any shave as close as the R41 gives, would give me some slight burning/irritation if I was outside and sweating after the shave. Zilch, nada, nothing, none of that with the R41.
  • I actually have come around a bit on shave sticks. In the past I disliked them as I don't like rubbing hard soap on my face. I'm thinking it was due to the slight irritation I got before that I mentioned I could feel if manipulating my face. Last weekend I traveled and used my Tabac stick and was ready for the normal feeling I don't like when using it, it never came. I rubbed soap on the skin and nothing felt irritated or tender as it had in the past.
  • There is a lot of talk of efficiency or aggressiveness. I will put it this way. The Muhle R41 is aggressive and efficient on whiskers, but very mild on my skin. It is possible to have a razor that is tough on whiskers and easy on your skin, or so I found out. This razor may/won't be that for all of you, but for some, it will. If I had to make a guess, I think it's precisely because the razor is riding directly on the whiskers and skin for the most part, no bar to stretch the skin. You have to control the blade or cut yourself.
  • If I had to do with only one razor, this would be the one.

Best razor I've tried so far too, though I'm only 2.5-3 years into my wetshaving journey. Bought mine about 8 months ago. For me the best blade for it (that I can get a hold of here in Sweden) is Wizamet Super Iridium.

Nice, I do like this razor, too. And 2 pass is all you need with it. Been using it this past week alternating w a Schick injector Type E

Not a fan. Tuggy going ATG on my head, less so with sharp BIC, so even though it's efficient otherwise it's a razor I don't care to use.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not a fan. Tuggy going ATG on my head, less so with sharp BIC, so even though it's efficient otherwise it's a razor I don't care to use.

I could see that. Yes, where the R41 does not work ATG, it's not to be forced for sure.

I could see that. Yes, where the R41 does not work ATG, it's not to be forced for sure.

I don't get this (and I ask as I am enjoying the r89 so much I keep wanting to breakout the r41 again) but aren't the places the R41 does not work ATG really the places you need ATG?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
aren't the places the R41 does not work ATG really the places you need ATG?

Is this a man-scaping question perfectly poised on Too-Much-Information Tuesday? Or do you mean so you may smooch and snuggle loved ones without abrading their faces with sharp stubble?

Is this a man-scaping question perfectly poised on Too-Much-Information Tuesday? Or do you mean so you may smooch and snuggle loved ones without abrading their faces with sharp stubble?

What? Haha .. I mean the stubble chin parts where r41 feels like a bad idea ATG because its "tuggy" are basically always the only parts that you think .. hmm maybe I should do ATG because that bits "stubbly and tough and scoffing at WTG"

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't get this (and I ask as I am enjoying the r89 so much I keep wanting to breakout the r41 again) but aren't the places the R41 does not work ATG really the places you need ATG?
The only place I can't ATG is my upper lip. Cheeks, neck, everything else is no issue. The R41 shaves closer than any razor I've used and does it more comfortably. XTG (both directions) on my upper lip leaves it as smooth as ATG with the Feather AS-D2 does. That's the only place on my face I do XTG. Every other place is two pass WTG, ATG.

Oh wait... are you saying... The places it doesn't ATG places you don't want to ATG anyway or places you do want ATG? This is a case that if we were face to face, I'd know exactly what you meant.

Getting to BBS on my head with a DE absolutely requires going ATG, and the R41 is a razor that resists that effort more than I find acceptable.

The only place I can't ATG is my upper lip. Cheeks, neck, everything else is no issue. The R41 shaves closer than any razor I've used and does it more comfortably. XTG (both directions) on my upper lip leaves it as smooth as ATG with the Feather AS-D2 does. That's the only place on my face I do XTG. Every other place is two pass WTG, ATG.

Oh wait... are you saying... The places it doesn't ATG places you don't want to ATG anyway or places you do want ATG? This is a case that if we were face to face, I'd know exactly what you meant.

Haha .. perhaps by of example the only place I really need to ATG is my chin/ beard stubble because its just super thick.. I can ATG for fun on my cheeks and I am sure its doing something but not obviously necessary unless one is OCDing out. In contrast and by sheer coincidence my chin scar is the reason for my affectionate nickname of the r41 as the mauler r41 during an early attempt at ATG (first razor mind you so clearly 0 technique).

For thick stubble the r41 felt like it catches ATG and then goes haywire .. That said if it works for you I may have to retry this being a masochist! The R89 is a magnificent beast and its unintuitive to me that the same company can make a good twin and an evil twin that are almost paired together.

Regards
Avi

I agree the 41 does not shine ATG on my jaw line. I have found if I go really slow ATG it smooths out. If I go too fast it skips and tugs.

Reactions: Avi

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For thick stubble the r41 felt like it catches ATG and then goes haywire ..
That's how it is on my upper lip.

This does give me the best WTG only shave of any razor and I could be 80 percent happy stopping there. Other razors, I couldn't. One pass on my face tends to leave me with sharp stubble, so I like to come from the opposite direction.

What mostly impresses me about the R41 vs every other (Feather AS-D2, DE-89, Merkur 1904, Feather Popular, Merkur 45, Carbon - CX, Schone/Fatip, and several SE razors) is how much better my face feels after using it vs other razors, even when I didn't think I had irritation I had irritation that was not noticeable by it's presence, but rather it's absence.

Eventually, I will get rid of all my other razrors. There is no point, they no longer do the job. For now, I enjoy my variety of soaps and brushes, but the razor has been decided.

Top Bottom