What's new

Another Rabbit Hole? Valet Auto Strop

Just when I thought my RAD had died down (more precisely been replaced with BAD) I randomly saw that there are current blades that make Valet Auto Strops useable.

For some reason I had always thought they couldn’t be used except for their proprietary blades 🤷🏻‍♂️

So last night I ended up purchasing a VC4 with the solid bar.

But you can’t not try one of the open comb versions, right?

So this morning I picked up what I’m pretty sure is a VC1.

VC4 - comes with cool box and strop
E4307E97-4CE7-4937-98F9-2266B15C6A98.jpeg

FCD06443-3F33-409D-BD6D-22DE44B01625.jpeg

VC1 (I think) - comes with black case and strop
D7E1501A-0E56-42AC-83E3-ECF0FAFFEE32.jpeg

EEF0DCCD-2819-42AE-AF18-EFB0C5D979FF.jpeg

Now to order the Feathers - though I believe I read a de-spines GEM will work in thr

Just when I thought my RAD had died down (more precisely been replaced with BAD) I randomly saw that there are current blades that make Valet Auto Strops useable.

Now to order the Feathers - though I believe I read a de-spines GEM will work in thr
Yup, it's a C because it doesn't have the back roller. I only use despined blades in my AutoStrops (I only own 1s and 2s). The blades work so well in my other SE razors that I have no urge to try the more expensive Feathers.

For some reason I had always thought they couldn’t be used except for their proprietary blades [emoji2371]

So last night I ended up purchasing a VC4 with the solid bar.

But you can’t not try one of the open comb versions, right?

VC4 - comes with cool box and stropView attachment 1121963
View attachment 1121959

VC1 (I think) - comes with black case and strop
View attachment 1121967
View attachment 1121968

Gem will work in the VC1.

Unfortunately I hate the Feather blades more than I like the Autostrops though I haven't tried the VC4

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I figure if I don’t like it/then I can always resell them for about what I paid.

One of my favorite things about this hobby is trying new things and discovering what works and doesn’t for me.
Others have much better luck with the Feathers, they fall apart in one full head and beard shave for me.

I don't like the Feather blades, but they are actually really pretty good on the first use.

The second shave is a little rough, and the third is horrible.

I could never figure out how to get a despined Gem blade to fit. Maybe it only works in certain models?

I don't like the Feather blades, but they are actually really pretty good on the first use.

The second shave is a little rough, and the third is horrible.

I could never figure out how to get a despined Gem blade to fit. Maybe it only works in certain models?
Correct. Models with posts like the VC4 are not Gem friendly. VC1 and other early models are ok.

These are so cool looking that everyone needs at least one! I believe mine is a VC2 and it needs the Feather FHS10 blades. Should I decide to get another I will be sure that it will accept the de-spined Gem blades.
20200326_131243.jpg

I actually have what is most likely a VC1....can use an unmodified GEM, Feather FHS, KAI Best, or the Auto-Strop blade, if you can find a NOS. Bought the strop to smooth out those KAI BEST blades, which are a bit rough, being Carbon Steel, for my OneBlade. - YEP, they were designed to use the same blade.

My couple of shaves never went real well, and find the GEM Micromatic to be a better and overall easier, smoother shaver, even with a Stainless Feather loaded.

Unfortunately, one of the edge tabs, which bend over the blade became compressed closed. Gingerly forcing a blade in to try and spread it back open, has it hanging on gingerly, so the razor is probably a loss, other than stropping the box of KAI blades I have. Not sure if it's worth trying to shave with, as if that tab breaks off, I'll get poked by the corner of the blade. (Unless anybody knows how to fix that). Be careful with those edge guards, they're pretty soft, as I learned the hard way.

I actually have what is most likely a VC1....can use an unmodified GEM, Feather FHS, KAI Best, or the Auto-Strop blade, if you can find a NOS. Bought the strop to smooth out those KAI BEST blades, which are a bit rough, being Carbon Steel, for my OneBlade. - YEP, they were designed to use the same blade.

My couple of shaves never went real well, and find the GEM Micromatic to be a better and overall easier, smoother shaver, even with a Stainless Feather loaded.

Unfortunately, one of the edge tabs, which bend over the blade became compressed closed. Gingerly forcing a blade in to try and spread it back open, has it hanging on gingerly, so the razor is probably a loss, other than stropping the box of KAI blades I have. Not sure if it's worth trying to shave with, as if that tab breaks off, I'll get poked by the corner of the blade. (Unless anybody knows how to fix that). Be careful with those edge guards, they're pretty soft, as I learned the hard way.

Both of mine have a strop - one looks to still be sealed in plastic

123BD0D6-07AC-4038-9FE7-9222F272BC2B.jpeg

AFA774A3-D76E-4854-A48C-F9952123842D.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are an interesting looking razor. Sort of steampunk. I have a few but I have not tried them yet. I think I bought some Feathers and I do have some Gem blades here somewhere. One day like everything else, one day.

My experience with the Feather FHS10 blade runs counter to most on here - I can go at least a week or 10 days on one as long as I palm strop it between shaves. Now the FAS blade, the carbon one, is another story, way too tuggy for me but that's my take on most carbon blades.

I've seen hundreds of these things (even own five of them) and had NO idea they made a straight bar version! I needs me one o dem!! Also I didn't know the earlier models took gem blades. Wth??

Well I took the VC1 and the VC4 out for a spin today with the FHS blades.

Overall a CCS. No irritation. Only one minor weeper around my big old fat bottom lip.

The ATG isn't quite as smooth as a GEM but not bad. I'm sure with experience I'll find the right angle.

The WTG pass was great - I was nervous because I've heard different things about the Feather blades but I really enjoyed the WTG/XTG passes.

The VC4 is minimally more smooth but it's close and the VC1 sings with audio feedback and I love that.

Going to try the VC2 out tomorrow.

IMG_5653.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a C1 Valet auto-strop(Canadian variant) and I like to use it every once in a while. The previous owner was rough with this razor and I had to fix a blade stop and the tension thumb tap was over bent. The original blade gap was .011 thousands of a inch and I tamed it by adjusting the open comb teeth to a .007 thousands of a inch new blade gap and it smoothed the shave out nicely. The reason for adjusting the gap was to smooth out the shave, I found the first shave with the .011 gap was harsh for me. The blades back in those days might not of been as sharp as the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is my guess???
Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom