What's new

Ancient Ocean Jasper

I don’t hear much about jasper being used for honing. I can tell you from my experience with my ocean jasper that it is an awesome finisher. I actually can set a bevel with my 1K and then proceed to the Jasper. I do 2 slurries and dilute them to water. I will then do X strokes on the burnished side of the stone. The edges I get are so comfortable and smooth. I was even told that the Jasper from Wild Whetstones resemble Jnats.

Attachments

• 9F058976-7AB0-47D0-8BC9-5745F51FCE5B.jpeg
    9F058976-7AB0-47D0-8BC9-5745F51FCE5B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
It's just a statement by someone saying a lot to get someone to buy something. And that's not a knock on him so much as it is a statement of reality... You use 10 different types of jnat and you will get different results from each.

Well what is better to you? I have an apache black gila which is probably the same material as some of what he finds and it works really well. I wouldn't call it better than an escher though, just different.

Well what is better to you? I have an apache black gila which is probably the same material as some of what he finds and it works really well. I wouldn't call it better than an escher though, just different.

I just am saying from my experience I actually got a better edge with my Jasper. Just saying. Ymmv though.

Better in what way? The other big variable if these were done by other ppl is they could just be doing lax work. Believe me, it happens a lot...

Might as well pop a pic up. My only points are that it gets really subjective once you come up to a certain point.. That and it's hard to judge things unless you have a large testing pool for yourself where you can eliminate some variables. And even then once you have a good idea of what things can do it comes back to what you like.

Attachments

• 20200706_153215.jpg
    20200706_153215.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
The main issue with this stuff commercially that I have seen is it really needs to be selectively cut or it can be really destructive. It can have little pockets of material that can release grains and wreak total havoc. That and fissures in bad orientations that can also be pretty nasty. It's also hell to lap and really sensitive to surface finish.

Interesting look to the material, that piece you have almost reminds me of a turkey stone. I can see what you mean about the fissures.

Do they even still sell the Gilla?
The Apache strata you never see anymore either. Seems like they had a find of rock then things went south.
Nice when you get a piece of something so rare that works.
Many people liked the strata.

It's not his livelihood so the availability trickles I think. He only really puts up what he actually has ready.

Back of mine. The gold ink oxidized into an almost invisible green.

Attachments

• 20200706_153307.jpg
    20200706_153307.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
I never had the strata but I shaved with an edge off of one from someone I am familiar with their general edge quality. I recall it being quite respectable

How about jade? I bet it would be awesome to mess around with. Bet it would put a keen edge on the razor.

There was a guy here who did some significant experimentation with various ultra-hard materials like petrified wood, agate, jasper, and jade. He was a big proponent of them. Can't recall who it was. I tried most of them. In general wasn't very impressed. They tended to be so slow the edge degraded faster than they refined it when honing.

I just remember the surface glazng inconsistently and being slow on agates. The apache material weirdly doesn't seem to have that problem and will hold surface treatment.

Top Bottom