What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
As Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches, I've been trying to decide on the razor to use. Here's what has popped into my head:
  • The Ever-Ready 1914 (aka "Little Lather Catcher") -- there's been some discussion of these of late, and I'm realizing that it's been a while since I've taken the LLC for a stroll.

• The Gem Push Button -- this razor and I just don't "click", and I'm not sure why. I like the looks, the button is cool, and the head looks like the Contour (or rather the Contour looks like the PB) and I like the Contour....but I usually walk away from the shave with this razor just feeling "meh" about it. So I try to pick it up when I think about it in hopes that I'll overcome my "meh" feelings.

• The Gem G-Bar -- same comments as the PB above. On this one it's the handle that just seems weird and not overly comfortable to me....I know most of the population has the opposite reaction to it. As with the PB, I don't dislike it, I just don't like it as much as I think I should.

• The Gem Damaskeene OC -- now this is a favorite that I always look for a reason to use....and because of that, I don't use the closed comb "Dammy" as much, which is another razor I enjoy and it's been a while for it as well.
This list is getting out of hand, and if I put everything down that's running through my head, this post would go past TL;DR ("Too Long; Didn't Read") territory and into the "This Dude is Nuts" (TDiN) arena.

So how about you all -- what ASR razor (with a Gem-style blade) will you be shaving with for Micromatic Monday / GEMonday? I reserve the right to ditch my list above and steal (I mean be inspired by) one of your ideas!!!

Mine is ready for take off from a grass field. I am probably going to have to hand-prop it to get the engine started. It's a ragged shaver grade that I got in a lot of other razors. The guard is kind of pitted, so I may have to abort the mission.

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum are negotiating with me over this one:
44133EC4-113B-4C02-A58B-323FDF95A87E.jpeg

So I'll be revving up my fully flight certified user-grade nickel FW. I'm instrument rated for Guiding Eye under IFR. Hope to see you up top.

Flintstone65

Mine is ready for take off from a grass field. I am probably going to have to hand-prop it to get the engine started. It's a ragged shaver grade that I got in a lot of other razors. The guard is kind of pitted, so I may have to abort the mission.
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum are negotiating with me over this one:
View attachment 1122096

So I'll be revving up my fully flight certified user-grade nickel FW. I'm instrument rated for Guiding Eye under IFR. Hope to see you up top.
So I'm thinking "Feather Weight" and your saying "Flying Wing" OK
*radio squelch sound* Golf-Echo-Mike you are cleared for departure on runway Juliette 6, no delay...ATIS shows unlimited ceiling....godspeed *squelch*

GEM Bullet Tip / Personna GEM (7th)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave Oil
RR What the Puck Lime / RR 26mm Monster
Pinaud Yu AS - Mentholated
Pacific Shaving Cream (dab to re-moisturize)

Glorious three pass shave, of two days growth. Even decided to get the back of my neck, while I was at it, after the third pass.

My face wasn’t ready for a “Micromatic Monday“ shave so I did the next best thing. I have seen a member, or maybe a couple members, micromatics with Bakelite bullet tips. At my first sighting of them, I knew I had to have one. It’s been festering in me, so today I bought the only one like it for sale on eBay. I feel better now that that itch has been scratched.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG &ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.
GEMonday July 6th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG &ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.
View attachment 1122341
Have some great shaves!
I’ve been wanting one of those older ornate GEMs

IMG_2441.jpg

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, replated in 24K gold
Blade: GEM SS PFTE by Personna
Brush: Thater Boar, black beehive; thanks to @shave/brush. I am going to use it some more this week and will post a review soon. All I can say right now is that it's one of the boars I've ever tried, very soft with a heavy handle. Doesn't need much soaking at all and it produces great lather.
Soap/Cream: Art of Shaving Bergamot & Neroli. Light, citrusy and refreshing. I can smell some lavender in there as well.
Aftershave: Vintage Avon Wild Country. The bottle is from 1990, but the aftershave inside is much older (around 50 years old). If you haven't used this - think Clubman, barbershop fougere: vanilla, moss, sandalwood, powder... some tonka bean in there too. Old school and smooth.

Overall - great shave today!

Reporting in at Angels 15.

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Omega Alum Stick
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200705_081632.jpg

Flintstone65

Been a pretty awesome day so far....lots of great Gems (and GEMs). I decided to take the "little lather catcher" aka Ever-Ready 1914 out for a spin, and it did not disappoint (it never does). It also brought along a guest, a HRICO KureNai GF35 DE Shavette, in what I think of as Fire Engine red. The LLC was also sporting a white wooden handle by Jayaruh, and the brush was a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf (in a dark navy handle).

The first pass went to the LLC -- this is GEMonday, after all -- and it was nice and smooth. The blade was a GEM SS PTFE on it's 5th use. The KureNai was sporting a half Nacet on it's....let's call it 3rd use, and that pass was also smooth and uneventful. If you're looking for an inexpensive DE Shavette, this little beauty is hard to beat. The 3rd pass was the LLC (mostly ATG), and I could've stopped and had a DFS- shave, but I'm in training tonight, so I went for a clean-up pass which I wanted to split between the two razors. The LLC handily took the clean-up around the upper lip and upper jaw, but I wanted practice with the shavette on my throat and lower jawline....kind of a mistake. Actually, it just proved my instinct that I needed the practice :laugh: !!! I was holding it kamisori style going south to north (starting at the bottom of my throat) when I forgot that while the blade starts out parallel to the throat, it goes perpendicular when it reaches the part of my face that juts out (you know, the chin and jaw). I felt the cut when I reached the bottom of my chin and stopped before it turned really ugly. The thin line cut actually surrendered easily to the alum block, so this won't even rank a top 3 shaving incident.

Net net: I got my DFS+ with only a small amount of bloodshed (from my mishandling of the KureNai) and the Little Lather Catcher reminded me that it is an easy, dare I say, bomb-proof razor. Oh and I should mention that part of what I suspect saved me from my cowboy antics this shave was an excellent lather produced by Cyril R Salter Rose cream. I will never be able to properly thank @GAW9576 for sending me this sample of excellent cream....I was interested in it for the scent, but the performance makes it one of the top creams & soaps in my den.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom