What's new

My inability to Tech

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use a "j-hook" (of sorts) stroke on the sides of my neck or I'll use a slant.

Not going to play with the "Gillette Slide". 😲

I have the exact same trouble with Techs and the same love for my slim adjustable. I do have thick coarse hair and sensitive skin though and I find the EJ DE89 and Rockwell 3 plate are my most efficient and nick free razors.
I'm the reverse: I get great shaves with a 1957 Tech, but I couldn't get a close shave with my EJ DE89 if my life depended on it, and I can't explain it.

So I have forced myself to only use a Tech for the past week.

The first few shaves were still weird.

However, yesterday and today it seems like it's starting to click.

I think that after years of using the default 30 degree angle, this requires the razor to be angled higher perhaps than I'm used to.

I will try again in the morning to verify.

It seemed MUCH smoother.

But maybe it wasn't even shaving anything lol

I'm the reverse: I get great shaves with a 1957 Tech, but I couldn't get a close shave with my EJ DE89 if my life depended on it, and I can't explain it.
Postwar Tech is a more rigid design than the DE89. For some that rigidity makes a significant difference, even in a milder razor. I passed on the 34C and kept the Techs.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I have forced myself to only use a Tech for the past week.

The first few shaves were still weird.

However, yesterday and today it seems like it's starting to click.

I think that after years of using the default 30 degree angle, this requires the razor to be angled higher perhaps than I'm used to.

I will try again in the morning to verify.

It seemed MUCH smoother.

But maybe it wasn't even shaving anything lol

I think you have hit on a key element of getting a great shave with a Tech. I mean using less than a 30 degree angle with the Tech. It may take a few shaves to get used to the shallower angle of the Tech but for me it has provided many great shaves along the way. While using the Tech I also have gained a real understanding of how a blade can change the feel and experience of a shave. YMMV. I have only shaved with a Tech for the last month and a half. During that time I have become more aware of my technique or short-comings in my skills with the Tech. MrFritz I appreciate your willingness to re-explore the Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Might be appropriate to re-post my opinion regarding the "Tech Technique" that works for me.

From "The Tech Clone Wars" thread:

Take the time to prep your face and build a proper lather.
Keep your face hydrated and lathered for the main passes and touch-up.
Use a sharp blade. I favor Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Feather, etc.
I would start with the handle perpendicular to your face and then pivot it down until you just feel the blade and the guard. It will be a shallow angle, riding mostly the cap.
**Take note because that is going to be very close to the correct angle.
Use little to no pressure. The goal is to reduce the stubble with each pass. Pressure is your enemy and leads to irritation. When buffing, take care to NOT use pressure.
Short strokes are good.
Patience is your friend.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I'm going to go back and mark this post as officially SOLVED!

Turns out it WAS simply an angle issue.

There is a straight razor barber on YouTube named Bruno something or the other and he had a brief description of learning to get the angle perfect with a shavette by doing it on your arm where you can see the angle right as it starts to cut like it's supposed to.
I can definitely see it from the side better on my arm than on my face lol.

It absolutely did need a different angle than most of my other razors! Just like Asland408 stated a couple of posts above.

I have now preceded to get two back to back smooth and comfortable Tech shaves that people have been talking about all these years!

Although the skin on my arm is now red and very razor burned, it was worth it lol.

Now I'm going to use that to test all my other favorites and see if I can maximize their angles.

Thanks for all the great tips, guys!

Bumping this thread because if my inability to tech. I have been wet shaving for a little more than two months with a Merkur 34C. I thought I had perfected my technique. I had great results with almost any blade I put in it. I have also shaved a couple of times with a Walmart VDH with similar results.

I got a pre-war tech from eBay thinking it would be a similar shave to my HD. This is where I entered opposite world. It seemed to me like a much more aggressive razor. It was very efficient at removing hair but I cut myself worse than I ever had with my HD. Post shave feel was rough.

The first time out I used a Gillette Super Platinum and Proraso blue. It was the first time I had used that blade so I thought that might be the problem. The second time I used an Astra SP and Southern Witchcrafts soap, my favorite blade and lather so far. Same results.

The technique that has worked for me so far is "riding the cap". I start with the razor in an almost horizontal position and lower the handle until I feel the blade engage.

I would like to love this razor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bumping this thread because if my inability to tech. I have been wet shaving for a little more than two months with a Merkur 34C. I thought I had perfected my technique. I had great results with almost any blade I put in it. I have also shaved a couple of times with a Walmart VDH with similar results.

I got a pre-war tech from eBay thinking it would be a similar shave to my HD. This is where I entered opposite world. It seemed to me like a much more aggressive razor. It was very efficient at removing hair but I cut myself worse than I ever had with my HD. Post shave feel was rough.

The first time out I used a Gillette Super Platinum and Proraso blue. It was the first time I had used that blade so I thought that might be the problem. The second time I used an Astra SP and Southern Witchcrafts soap, my favorite blade and lather so far. Same results.

The technique that has worked for me so far is "riding the cap". I start with the razor in an almost horizontal position and lower the handle until I feel the blade engage.

A tech will take more time to shave with than a 34c, just go slow, if you use it every day you will get better and better good luck

The only way I got better with a Tech was to force myself to use ONLY a tech for a couple of weeks until I was forced to get the angle right and riding the cap and all that stuff lol.
Then I realized that I don't have to go through all that trouble when I shave with a Slim.
It just works beautifully without thinking and forcing me to get a perfect angle just to work correctly.
I really don't think I've ever had a bad shave with one.
So basically I just have a bunch of collectible Techs.

I have the 34 HD and a Fat Handle Tech. I have found the Tech to be the better razor.
Clearly a case of YMMV.
I have found that a sharp blade and steep angle are efficient, smooth and comfortable.
I have had one pass shaves with this that are almost bang on. Technique is king not the tech-knowledge.

I've been meaning to try Kai blades. Thank you for reminding me about them.
The only way I got better with a Tech was to force myself to use ONLY a tech for a couple of weeks until I was forced to get the angle right and riding the cap and all that stuff lol.
Then I realized that I don't have to go through all that trouble when I shave with a Slim.
It just works beautifully without thinking and forcing me to get a perfect angle just to work correctly.
I really don't think I've ever had a bad shave with one.
So basically I just have a bunch of collectible Techs.

Did you ever try the Kai? I have used them to give some oomph to mild slants, but I was curious about your result, if any. I searched this thread, but didn't find a Kai report.

BTW, I finally tried one of my Techs. For me, meh. Maybe I should try it with a Kai.

:hand: Try doing the opposite (as per King Gillette's instructions); i.e. hold the handle close to your face and raise it till you feel the blade engage.

See the second "way" from the left in the photo below:
Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpg

Here's an illustration showing how that works:
Steep-Angle_600.jpg

By "riding the guard" to start with, you're stretching the skin in advance of the blade. By "riding the cap" you're pushing the blade into squeezed up skin (a great recipe for razor burn).

Also bear in mind that the above effects are magnified by the Tech's rigidly held blade as opposed to the 34C's more loosely held one (see "clamp distance" in Safety Razor Parameters).
Give the above a try and see what you think, Chester. :001_smile

if you don't like a razor then don't use it.
I don't see why you have to force it just because other people like techs.

Top Bottom