What's new

Apsley or 1805?

Hi Folks,

I'm in the market for a new cream/balm/cologne combo and I'm keen to try Truefitt & Hill. The two i'm looking at are Aplsey and 1805. I know fragrance is a very personal thing but I'm keen to get other guys opinions.

Cheers

I can't comment about the 2 you mention, but I tried their Grafton cologne and did not like it at all. I'd heard it described as a "barbershop" scent. I found that it opens with an overbearing, unpleasant fruity note, and takes hours to dry down into a slightly powdery scent which I think of as barbershop. Two family members didn't like the scent either, and felt strongly about that.

I'd recommend trying some samples if you can find them, or one product at a time, before buying any full sets.

YMMV.

I can't comment about the 2 you mention, but I tried their Grafton cologne and did not like it at all. I'd heard it described as a "barbershop" scent. I found that it opens with an overbearing, unpleasant fruity note, and takes hours to dry down into a slightly powdery scent which I think of as barbershop. Two family members didn't like the scent either, and felt strongly about that.

I'd recommend trying some samples if you can find them, or one product at a time, before buying any full sets.

YMMV.
They do a sample pack of creams and colognes so I might order that. Always handy for travelling, whenever I'm allowed to do that again...lol

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've only had a sample of Aspley, and I can't remember the scent, which perhaps is an indication as good as any. There's always a bottle of 1805 in my bathroom and I use it frequently. I often wear it, Harris' Arlington or TOBS Sandalwood when I need a nice but guaranteed non offensive scent for office use. In short it's a very nice everyday scent, but nothing a woman will complement you on.

I've only had a sample of Aspley, and I can't remember the scent, which perhaps is an indication as good as any. There's always a bottle of 1805 in my bathroom and I use it frequently. I often wear it, Harris' Arlington or TOBS Sandalwood when I need a nice but guaranteed non offensive scent for office use. In short it's a very nice everyday scent, but nothing a woman will complement you on.
Great feedback, many thanks.

Going to order the sample pack and see what I like. Good to know that you use 1805 regularly.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I went through the sampler and experimented on my wife .. the order that she loves these is

1805 (apparantly this is quite popular and she agrees with the consensus) >>>>>>>> apsley (this is more expensive for some unknown reason ) > Grafton >>>>>> Trafalgar

The rest of the sampler pack got a big NO [ Spanish leather is a weird one : it smells like a shoe store aka frye's!] but these four she quite liked (well except for Trafalgar, but I overrode)

to help calibrate, she likes soapy scents as being modern and dislikes musky scents as being "old man" (I know what you are thinking here, the trick is to nod and move on :) )

Avi

I went through the sampler and experimented on my wife .. the order that she loves these is

1805 (apparantly this is quite popular and she agrees with the consensus) >>>>>>>> apsley (this is more expensive for some unknown reason ) > Grafton >>>>>> Trafalgar

The rest of the sampler pack got a big NO [ Spanish leather is a weird one : it smells like a shoe store aka frye's!] but these four she quite liked (well except for Trafalgar, but I overrode)

to help calibrate, she likes soapy scents as being modern and dislikes musky scents as being "old man" (I know what you are thinking here, the trick is to nod and move on :) )

Avi
Avi thanks for the reply, yes 1805 seems to be the pick of the bunch. It does seem crazy though that Apsley is a lot more expensive. I've ordered the sample pack so I will see how I get on. Who knows I might prefer Grafton or Trafalgar.....or not...who knows.

Yeah I probably should have ordered the sample pack before posting this.

Thanks to you and your wife for the info.

Neil

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

have not tried apsley, but enjoy 1805 and the rest of the t&h range.
getting a sample collection is a great idea.

th 1805 et al.jpg

I much prefer Apsley to 1805, but I tend to dislike aquatic scents and 1805 certainly falls into that category.

^This.

And Apsley comes across as more natural, probably contributing to its higher price.

What I get from Apsley: grapefruit, pepper, woods.

Apsley IMO is a nice scent which I found to be quite similar to DR Harris Windsor. Nice and inoffensive

I have a bottle of each and I prefer the more subtle and complex scent of Apsley. While the aquatic scent of 1805 may be suitable for summer months or even as an all-year scent, I think that Apsley, with its subtle warming spices, is more of a fall/winter scent.

Top Bottom