What's new

Williams and Van der Hagen

It seems Walgreens and CVS no longer sell shaving soap in their stores. Is that a sign that the market is contracting? Kind of sad, though there are plenty of places to buy online and I don’t use Williams anymore after it being my only soap for 22 years or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It seems Walgreens and CVS no longer sell shaving soap in their stores. Is that a sign that the market is contracting? Kind of sad, though there are plenty of places to buy online and I don’t use Williams anymore after it being my only soap for 22 years or thereabouts.

What did they sell in your area? In mine neither store has shaving soap in store, only online. I only have one store, a locally owned grocer that carries any shaving soap at all. I do see Walgreens and CVS carrying safety razors and blades and CVS has a brush as well.

Last edited:

In my opinion, stores try to maximize profits/shelf foot. Therefore, less expensive items are disappearing. That has sent me to Amazon to buy inexpensive stuff, and while I'm there, I buy the stuff I used buy in stores. I seldom shop in stores.

What did they sell in your area? In mine neither store has shaving soap in store, only online. I only have one store, a locally owned grocer that carries any shaving soap at all. I do see Walgreens and CVS carrying safety razors and blades and CVS has a brush as well.

I could get either, but Williams was giving way to Van der Hagen.

In my opinion, stores try to maximize profits/shelf foot. Therefore, less expensive items are disappearing. That has sent me to Amazon to buy inexpensive stuff, and while I'm there, I buy the stuff I used buy in stores. I seldom shop in stores.

I’m pretty much there too. It’s too convenient. My antiperspirant was disappearing from the shelves, but is coming back, but too late. I get it online to make sure I don’t have to hunt it down.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Or if not products that are higher priced, products with more velocity than a traditional shaving soap. Amazon doesn't have the shelf space issue.

Up in New England the only stores I see shaving soap in now is our local supermarket chain stocks Williams and W-mart stocks VDH. Everywhere else is cans. For how long who knows.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
When the corporate fad for beardo products goes away, they'll have more room for DE's resurgence!

AA

Most of the pharmacies and grocery stores carry a large selection of canned foams and gels and shaving cream in a tube and carry a meager selection of soaps, if any. I guess they have bought into the theory that men and women are too lazy to use a brush to generate a lather. However, as shaving forum members, we know the benefits of that extra effort of using a shaving brush.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
There's a shop called the Discount Drug Mart just up the road that carries Williams, 3 varieties of Aqua Velva & at least twice that many Clubman products (including shaving foam, talc and body powder in addition to several splashes). I believe it is the only shop in the area that carries Williams these days. I'm in southwest Ohio.

I got my last Williams from Walgreens on-line. It took a couple of days to arrive at the store & they called when it was ready. Walmart does the same with a lot of their stuff - on-line only, except it's often a big fustercluck trying to get the item found in the Walmart pick-up area.

Top Bottom