What's new

Captain Black Grape; Yet Another Use.

I've this silver maple tree beside my patio, providing shade to the patio and house, and unfortunately shelter for pesty birds. The doves roosting in the tree create a mess on the patio and furniture, making my life complicated. I like the tree but I don't like the mess, thus I've tried a couple ways to deter the roosting habits of the birds.

I've resorted to a commercial bird repellent, used primarily in agriculture; fruit trees, vineyards, row crops. I'm reading the MSDS and directions for this rather pricey concoction; the active ingredient is Methyl Anthranilate. With some Google help I discovered this compound is a grape flavoring: From Wikipedia: Methyl anthranilate - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_anthranilate#
"Methyl anthranilate acts as a bird repellent. It is food-grade and can be used to protect corn, sunflowers, rice, fruit, and golf courses. Dimethyl anthranilate (DMA) has a similar effect. It is also used for the flavor of grape Kool-Aid. It is used for flavoring of candy, soft drinks (e.g. grape soda), fruit (e.g. Grāpples), chewing gum, drugs, and nicotine products.[5]" (emphasis, my own) Note 5 is from an article in the New England Journal of Medicine.

While I've not been able to find proof this is the flavoring in CBG, I highly suspect that it is. If I had known this, I could have smoked a CBG sample under the tree, or thrown the tobacco in the tree, rather than hauling it to the dumpster. I also suspect this is one of the flavorings the FDA is targeting with their rule making concerning nicotine products; but again, no proof.

As someone wise once said: you learn something new everyday.

I would go the cat route except my wife is quite allergic. I'm lucky she can tolerate our hypoallergenic dogs, who are not supposed to shed. Kind of a scam I think, given how much dog hair we vacuum up weekly. Anyway, cats are out. The CBG will have to do. I have to say though, the tree smells quite nice now - sort of Nehi Grape Sodaish.

Well, no evidence of birds roosting in said tree last night. Although, it could have been a solid bombardment of fireworks in the neighborhood until 11:30 followed by a thunderstorm and 1.3" inches of rain. I'll be spraying the grape again in the next day or so. Any recommendations for a power sprayer?

Top Bottom