What's new

Keeping it simple: Old razor, cheap blade

I headed out recently for a stay the fishing cabin and neglected to pack a full shaving kit, and so took pot luck on the shaving supplies that were left in-stock. It turned out to be a good thing. The razor of choice is a '54 (first year) flare tip Super Speed that probably set me back ten bucks; the available blades are a few tucks of Derby Extras that I must have had laying around and ditched at the cabin. It's been working out quite well.

I tend to prefer "milder" razors in general and the tried and true Super Speed fills my bill. I've been reminded of what a fine razor it is; even more impressive knowing it was produced on such a mass scale. I know that Derbys generate a love-hate reaction (more hate, it seems), but I'm kind of in the middle on them. Not my favorite for sure, but quite acceptable in the SS. The best thing about this set up is that there is no dithering about selecting a razor or blade, or obsessing about the "just right" combination. Every morning, just drop a Derby in the SS (with perfect blade alignment every time) and go to it. Not the closest shaves, but quite nice and very comfortable every time.

Like many of us, I have way too many razors and blades, and that is definitely part of the fun of this hobby. But over these past few days, I have come to appreciate some simplicity. No overthinking it, just shave. Besides, I have other things to overthink, like what will the fish be biting on today?

Until I read this post, I never really thought about the stress-free shaves while away from home. There may be a bit of anxiety while packing my bags, but what I have in my shave kit when I arrive at my destination is what I shave with for the duration of my stay. No agonizing over which razor, blade, soap, and brush to use for the day. The decision was made for me before I left home. Thanks for the pleasant reminder.

Excellent post & reminder. We can get a good shave, we like variety. Enjoy your fishing retreat! I hope you catch a lot, or the fish don't interrupt you too often, depending on what you're hoping for out of the trip.

Reactions: bjm

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great post. Yes to simplicity. When we travel for a holiday I just take one of everything. One razor, one brush, one soap or one cream and usually a tuck of blades just in case I get a dud blade and one cologne or Aftershave. Pity I didn’t stay with simplicity when I joined this forum.

If I ever take another road trip, my SuperSpeed or my Tech (or a backup for the latter, which I have yet to buy) will be the way to go. Plus some Barbasol in the small travel size, one aftershave, and one cologne.

Great post!

B&B regulars tend to be connoisseurs IMO! But, push comes to shove most here can get very fine shaves with most any kit (and your SS is a fine shaver indeed)!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Superspeed and Derby's a combo that just goes together. My question is why bother shaving on a fishing trip!?

If I ever take another road trip, my SuperSpeed or my Tech (or a backup for the latter, which I have yet to buy) will be the way to go. Plus some Barbasol in the small travel size, one aftershave, and one cologne.

Nice. I was going to mention the Tech as a good, stress-free razor as well.

Superspeed and Derby's a combo that just goes together. My question is why bother shaving on a fishing trip!?
Good question. It is an extended trip; I'll probably be spending a good share of the summer at the cabin, and my beard is ridiculously ugly if I let it grow. I have dialed down to shaving every other day, or even every third, depending on the schedule. It's a tough life, but someone's got to do it.

Good formula, also a good way to use up your Derby Extra's!
Yep. I believe that was my thinking when I re-homed those Derbys to the cabin. It seemed like a good way to get them out of the den at the time; now I'm feeling like some sort of savant.

Top Bottom