What's new

Homemade Pepper sauce

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I should probably post...

I found, not too long ago, a small family-owned farm in Ontario that grow their own peppers and make hot sauce. I bought some, great stuff, love it. I will buy again for sure!

Then, I had a recommendation on youtube to watch a how-to video on how to make hot sauce. I watch pretty much anything that I could find. I decided to make my own after a few weeks. I got some peppers from the grocery store, made a mix, started a fermentation for a week and tried it.

I was hooked.

First batch was a mix of all the peppers I could find (Habanero, Bird's eye and jalapeno). I added onions and garlic and 2% salt with distilled water. When I bottled, I used a bit of apple cider vinegar. Everything when in the vitamix for a few minutes.

Second batch was a bit different as I wanted a red sauce. I used 2-3 red habaneros and Bird's eye chillies. Around 100 grams of them (with onion and garlic, still 2% salt and distilled water). This one, I also put some oregano, cinnamon and cumin. Out of those 3, I can only taste the cumin. But I love the sauce, great on tacos.

Third batch, I added around 1/4 of diced pinapple with my habanero/bird's eye. You can taste the pineapple in there.

Yesterday, I started the next batch. I plan to ferment that one for 2 weeks instead of 1. That one has bird's eye, red bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes and garlic, it better be red! I also put a few coriander leaves.

I got a few plants from a local store for the summer (tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, basil, dill, etc). I also bought a cayenne plant and something called super chili. I'm waiting to harvest them...
This sounds awesome...fermentation versus just a vinegar brine. It's on my ta-do list.

You guys inspired me to try me own. Some pickled jalapeños and serrano peppa sauce. Damn this stuff is outrageously good.

381CA40D-5779-424E-AE37-857A39D64650.jpeg

I did heat up the vinegar, did the peppa Sauce base about a week ago or so with jalapenos, only added the serranos today and transferred and sliced the jalapenos to the jar to eat.

67D3EAE4-198E-429D-ACF3-3E66A4512127.jpeg

Another dead soldier. Guess what’s going in here? Pepper sauce chaps.
The opening may be a little small so I’ll just chop whatever peppers I get in half.

59A2DAFD-A7F1-49C6-9C17-C30485DB85E8.jpeg

So here’s my pepper haul from the local store. Jalapeños and one scotch bonnet (eek). No idea what the other two are. Also no idea if that’s enough peppers.
Wouldn’t you know it the feckers had no white vinegar... none at all.
Off to the pub and I’ll find some on my way home.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This thread inspired me. Put some cider vinegar, jalapeños, garlic, onion, black pepper, smoked paprika, fresh coriander seeds, sugar and salt in a blender. Puréed this mixture, jarred and in the fridge to let the flavours intensify. Put some on sautéed beans from the garden, fantastic. Going to try making same other hot sauces.

Reactions: CCR
How is everyone doing with their homemade "peppa" sauces? I just added more ACV to my bottle--photo posted earlier--and before that I added some peeled garlic cloves. I have to say that I have gotten more use/enjoyment out of this stuff than I ever would have thought, and I have pretty much liked every hot sauce I have ever made. I use this stuff all the time. It does not hurt that it looks good in the bottle and my wife does not seem to object to its staying out on the table all the time, whereas any other hot sauce seems to get put away immediately after eating no matter my objections. I would say it has a pretty good, say, medium, Scoville level.

I do find that it may be giving me some--how to put this for purposes of this forum?--stomach, shall we say, bowl, upset. I eat a lot of spicy things and, for the most part, the only things previously that have given me this specific problem have been Popeyes spicy chicken, and certain other spicy fried chicken, but not all spicy fried chicken. I had to stop eating Popeyes spicy. The effect was just too intense. I do not intend to stop eating this peppa sauce. So far, the effects are noticeable, but not so intense. A person has to be willing to make sacrifices for pleasure! :) Anyone else out there have this kind of problem with certain spicy foods, but not others? Anyone ever track down exactly what was causing it? (For instance, I do not seem to have any problem with Louisiana Crystal hot sauce, which some on-line sources seem to credit for Popeyes spiciness.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How is everyone doing with their homemade "peppa" sauces? I just added more ACV to my bottle--photo posted earlier--and before that I added some peeled garlic cloves.

Mine is doing fine! It's getting down to about half full, so I'll be adding more ACV soon. I think I may add some slices of ginger.

I do find that it may be giving me some--how to put this for purposes of this forum?--stomach, shall we say, bowl, upset.

No problems here.

So far, my main use is in my daily drink of ACV, lime juice, and supplement powders (and, often, a "greens" powder.) Makes it nice and spicy.

Top Bottom