What's new

Snuff Of The Day (SOTD)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Its German. Mentholated evergreen flavor. Really easy to take from the tap box. I'm slowly working my way through it, I don't want the snuff to dry out. It's only 10g.
I had a German snuff in a flat box that lasted for years without drying. Those boxes seem to work very well even though I find them to be quite a PITA

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had a German snuff in a flat box that lasted for years without drying. Those boxes seem to work very well even though I find them to be quite a PITA

Tap boxes are a nightmare for snuff drying out, unless they're oiled. Some German snuffs are, some aren't. Oiled snuffs will stay moist indefinitely, but water moistened snuffs like English snuffs, can turn to dust/sand quite quickly.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Tap boxes are a nightmare for snuff drying out, unless they're oiled. Some German snuffs are, some aren't. Oiled snuffs will stay moist indefinitely, but water moistened snuffs like English snuffs, can turn to dust/sand quite quickly.
Not sure how the Bernard's snuff is moistened but I haven't noticed any drying over the course of 3 weeks using it on and off. On the other hand I had some Viking Thor's Hammer in my day box and it was really dry by the end of that day.

brandaves

McChrystal's Aztec at the moment...wow! A lovely lingering Hot Chocolate flavor with a pronounced nic hit. Very nice pinch and easy to take. I just have a minor of it...I could see ordering more during the winter. Although I can easily enjoy this year round. Recommend for a sweet dessert snuff.

brandaves

...still tasting Aztec an hour later...

So I went ahead and had another toot. I will definitely order more of this. I like it very much.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How does one know?

If it's an English snuff, it's water. There's a law preventing snuff being oiled in the UK. Toque has started doing a few schmaltzers since they relocated, but the Isle of Man is not in the UK.

Germany do both oil and water, so you have to do your research on the individual blends/sorts. Poschl for example do a lot hydrated with water, and a few oiled snuffs... or at least they did.

India have both too, and again some mills do both. For example, I believe Anarkali is oiled, but Super Kailash isn't. My memory might be flawed though, as it's a while since I've had either.

brandaves

Uhh...Houston, we have problem.
20200702_115136.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If it's an English snuff, it's water. There's a law preventing snuff being oiled in the UK. Toque has started doing a few schmaltzers since they relocated, but the Isle of Man is not in the UK.

Germany do both oil and water, so you have to do your research on the individual blends/sorts. Poschl for example do a lot hydrated with water, and a few oiled snuffs... or at least they did.

India have both too, and again some mills do both. For example, I believe Anarkali is oiled, but Super Kailash isn't. My memory might be flawed though, as it's a while since I've had either.
This is more complicated than I had presumed. The Indian snuffs I’ve ahd and have are ultra fine, dry and strong requiring much care when used I suppose I’ll figure it out as I go. I’ve nearly finished a 3.5g tin of McCrystals Original I got just a couple of days ago. Will get 25g next order. The White Elephant is a butt kicking rustic and the Dholakia Kamal is an entirely different flavor now. I’ll get a sample pack next time. Is snuff still popular in the UK and Europe? Virtually unheard of here it seems. Interestingly, there is a dish of snuff at the doors of Congress that is filled daily.

brandaves

So today I'm digging into my 6 Photo Indian snuff sampler...geez this stuff is so fine and REALLY hard to take. Any advice on taking fine and dry snuffs?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is snuff still popular in the UK and Europe? Virtually unheard of here it seems.

I know of no other snuff user in real life. I think that's telling. That said, all the snuff mills in the British Isles are keeping the lights on, so they're obviously still doing decent trade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So today I'm digging into my 6 Photo Indian snuff sampler...geez this stuff is so fine and REALLY hard to take. Any advice on taking fine and dry snuffs?

I've tried all the tricks, but still can't use the ultra fine snuff. That said, here are some of the tricks others use.

Trick 1) Take a deep breath or two, to completely fill your lungs before sniffing. That should significantly weaken the sniff.

Trick 2) Don't sniff at all, just inhale slowly but normally through your nose, with the pinch held a little lower from the nose than normal.

Trick 3) Hold your breath completely, and just drop your jaw with your lips closed. This creates enough of a vacuum to lift snuff very slightly, but not enough to carry it to the throat.

Trick 4) Use a bendy drinking straw, cut to the right length. Put a little snuff in it, put the long end in your nose, and the short end up your nose, and blow the snuff into position.

Trick 5) Just dip your finger in, and then wipe the inside of your nose.

As I say, none of these work for me. My physiology just isn't conducive to ultra fine snuff use. On snuffs that are slightly too fine for me, which includes the likes of McChrystals, I take a good pinch of a coarser snuff first, wait till that's moistened up, them take a pinch of the other. It still goes too far occasionally, but it helps.

brandaves

I've tried all the tricks, but still can't use the ultra fine snuff. That said, here are some of the tricks others use.

Trick 1) Take a deep breath or two, to completely fill your lungs before sniffing. That should significantly weaken the sniff.

Trick 2) Don't sniff at all, just inhale slowly but normally through your nose, with the pinch held a little lower from the nose than normal.

Trick 3) Hold your breath completely, and just drop your jaw with your lips closed. This creates enough of a vacuum to lift snuff very slightly, but not enough to carry it to the throat.

Trick 4) Use a bendy drinking straw, cut to the right length. Put a little snuff in it, put the long end in your nose, and the short end up your nose, and blow the snuff into position.

Trick 5) Just dip your finger in, and then wipe the inside of your nose.

As I say, none of these work for me. My physiology just isn't conducive to ultra fine snuff use. On snuffs that are slightly too fine for me, which includes the likes of McChrystals, I take a good pinch of a coarser snuff first, wait till that's moistened up, them take a pinch of the other. It still goes too far occasionally, but it helps.
Thank you, I'll try some of these and see if I can make them work for me.

Top Bottom