What's new

Polsilver SI replacement

Hi, everyone probably heard about the Polsilver SI is going to be discontinued to bad really since its my fav blade from all the ones I tried so far sharp & smooth, some are good but definitely not Polsilver good here's my list

1. POLSILVER SI

2. GILLETTE SILVER BLUE
3. ASTRA SP
4. PERSONA PLATINUM
5. WILKINSON
6. DERBY PLATINUM

I've heard good comments about Perma sharp so maybe I should give them a go

Sadly nothing really compares to a polsilver/wizamet but these rumors have been spreading for years now........it looks like they just rename them back to wizamet SI but they are exactly the aame blade. I have around 250 polailver and 100 wizamets, same blade

Hi, everyone probably heard about the Polsilver SI is going to be discontinued to bad really since its my fav blade from all the ones I tried so far sharp & smooth, some are good but definitely not Polsilver good here's my list

1. POLSILVER SI

2. GILLETTE SILVER BLUE
3. ASTRA SP
4. PERSONA PLATINUM
5. WILKINSON
6. DERBY PLATINUM

You will probably like Nacet.

Hope this is just another Polsilver rumor!

That said, my top-tier (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red
Personna lab

Hope this is just another Polsilver rumor!

That said, my top-tier (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red
Personna lab
Tried GSB for the first time and it felt a bit harsh on my face a bit similar as the Persona platinum maybe I have to give them another try got some perma sharps coming in so let's see how they perform

Lots of good information there

I love my Polsilvers. I'd give the Wizamets a try but they're expensive. I see a listing for 100 at $36. Nah. Not worth it. I'll stick with my GSBs. I have about 80 or so Polsilvers left so I'll just use them sparingly.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Polsilver blades will be around for many more years, rumors are a marketing gimmick more than likely. Lots of other good blades out there to replace it. If they do stop production I would bet some will one will make a clone of it.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

The GSBs are in the neighborhood - maybe not as smooth but darned close.

I used a 7Oclock Yellow SharpEdge this morning and was really impressed. I hadn't used one in a while and came away wondering why. It even did a decent ATG under my chin and not every blade can. Granted, I was using a DE89, but it was a good shave. It's probably a bit sharper than the PolSilver - closer to a MedPrep but a very good blade.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's probably a bit sharper than the PolSilver - closer to a MedPrep but a very good blade.
I'm not sure where the MedPreps are on the scale, but I like them a lot. They've kind of been my goto recently. Kai is my second choice. Currently really liking MedPrep in the R41. I'm about to do shave 8 with that blade today. Going to see how long it will go.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The GSB, to my face, is closest to the Wiza-silver variants. The latter can go a little longer before a change. But both are very comfortable sharps.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Perma-Sharps are not a bad replacement. They are as sharp as Polsilver, but just a little less smooth. All in all very good blades.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

1. POLSILVER SI

2. GILLETTE SILVER BLUE
3. ASTRA SP
4. PERSONA PLATINUM
5. WILKINSON
6. DERBY PLATINUM

Stating the obvious before the meat and potatoes of the post, but blades are a very personal thing.

But...of those you listed...I noticed Derby Platinum. Which Derby is that? Extra, Premium or Usta? If it's not Usta, you might want to get a couple and give them a try. I tried Derby Extra and found it a bit wanting. I tried Derby Premium and found it to be just slightly short of what I would like. But when I tried the Usta...BINGO! At least...that's for me and my face and neck.

I just got 300 polsilver from
eBay for basically regular retail price. Shop around and you may find some at reasonable price.

Stating the obvious before the meat and potatoes of the post, but blades are a very personal thing.

But...of those you listed...I noticed Derby Platinum. Which Derby is that? Extra, Premium or Usta? If it's not Usta, you might want to get a couple and give them a try. I tried Derby Extra and found it a bit wanting. I tried Derby Premium and found it to be just slightly short of what I would like. But when I tried the Usta...BINGO! At least...that's for me and my face and neck.
My bad not platinum but premium

My bad not platinum but Premium, tried it and binned it, its not even in the same league then the polsilvers, ordered some perma sharps let's see how they perform?

I find Gillette Silver Blue blades to be quite comparable to Polsilver. I still have a few Polsilver blades, but would never consider paying the prices now being charged for the blades. I have not tried Wizamet.

I have a tough beard and prefer using blades significantly sharper than Polsilver. They do work well in an aggressove razor, however, because of their smoothness.

Top Bottom