What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Nothing a whack with a hammer wouldnt fix! lol

I spent a year or so thinking about taking the hammer approach to being the first guy to shave with a Fatip slant. You know, the in-transit era of Fatip slant evolution.

I probably could have gotten raw material Fatips for the price of postage from all those whiners about Fatip QC. And I already owned a hammer.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I spent a year or so thinking about taking the hammer approach to being the first guy to shave with a Fatip slant. You know, the in-transit era of Fatip slant evolution.

I probably could have gotten raw material Fatips for the price of postage from all those whiners about Fatip QC. And I already owned a hammer.

Being solid Brass, it could likely be done. I was surprised how easy it was to get my Single Ring back in shape with a plastic hammer, but they're made from much thinner Brass.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh, I have definitely thought about that!!!

Me too.

IMG_2786.JPG

R41's arent brass though. That one is the same on all 4 corners. It'll keep you on your toes lol.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Oh, there is still a chance I might try and straighten out the extra twisted slant........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD FOCS

Saturday, July 4
Lo Storto Originale
Feather(1)
Omega 10005
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Proraso Red aftershave

Tonight's shave with the FOCS wet well, one tiny weeper on the left side of my neck shaving ATG, stopped with styptic.

Nice.

20200705_005617[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD FOCS(2)

Sunday, July 5
Lo Storto Originale
Feather(2)
Omega 10005
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Proraso Red aftershave

I let the brush soak while I showered and loaded it heavy while damp. When I splayed the brush on my face it felt nice and soft, with plenty of backbone. As I added more water the lather became nice a creamy.

I started shaving above my lips and freestyled around then shaved my face nose to ear. I can feel the blade cutting, but I don't feel the blade. It is smooth, but I can feel the blade working.
I shaved my chin and neck WTG, my neck sensitive from yesterday's ATG pass.

I lathered up and shaved my face ear to nose, then freestyled around my lips and chin. I started shaving my neck WTG but only under my chin, as the rest of my neck is very sensitive.

I used HA right after I toweled my face while still damp, then rubbed Witch hazel over my face.

After cleaning up my gear I splashed the Proraso Red aftershave and felt the burn for a long time. The Nivea balm was needed today for sure.
I think the Feather makes the FOCS work too hard, while smooth, there was irritation.

Tonight's shave was very presentable.

20200705_171033[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FOCS SOTD

Monday, July 6
Lo Storto Originale
Gillette Platinum(1)
Omega 10005
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Clubman Classic Vanilla

Shave #8 for the Omega 10005.
Once the lather builds up the brush is soft with a gentle amount of scrub, and not a hint of scritch. The backbone remains firm when soaked.

With a fresh Gillette Platinum I could feel the harshness of the Feather replaced with smoothness as I shaved over my lips. I also used the original cap that has been tightly torqued to my extra slant in an effort to increase the twist and improve on the fit.
I was also using a slight amount of pressure and I could feel the teeth for the first time using my FOCS. I shaved my chin freestyle then shaved my face N-S to just under my jawline on both sides, using buffing strokes. Then shaved my neck N-S also, using steep gentle buffing strokes, much more comfortable than yesterday.

My second pass was the usual nose to ear on my face and chin, then another N-S pass on my neck. I could start to feel the blade on my neck, so I eased up on the pressure.

I used the HA then Witch hazel, cleaned up my gear and splashed on the Classic Vanilla with a mild burn that the Nivea balm cooled right off.

A nice shave.

20200706_200111[1].jpg

I also used the original cap that has been tightly torqued to my extra slant in an effort to increase the twist and improve on the fit.
Does that mean you've cured the cap's "uppity" corner, Doug?

If so, would you explain (in layman's terms) how you did it please? :biggrin:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Does that mean you've cured the cap's "uppity" corner, Doug?

If so, would you explain (in layman's terms) how you did it please? :biggrin:
I find pictures 'splain things a bit better.
1FOCS.jpg2FOCS.jpg

My FOCS(1) from Maggards is on the left and the FOCS(2) that I got from @Tanuki is on the right. You can click on the pics to get a better view, and see that almost half of the cap is not in contact with the teeth. When the cap is reversed the gap remains the same, and both caps fit almost identically, so I determined the problem was in the baseplate.
That being said, I just keep one of the caps torqued down very tightly on the FOCS(1) baseplate in the hopes the caps will conform :c12: . I have though about touching the corners of one of the caps lightly with one of my .0005" brass hammers(ball-peen adjusting).......

However, after my last shave with my FOCS(2), that might not be needed......

Another hammer option. I think may favour that type repair. I use this acrylic it has been successfully for me on similar repairs. This one on Amazon. Six heads.

1594225436621.jpeg

Attachments

• BBBCC6BD-F882-4DF7-9F96-CCA72D81DFD1.jpeg
    BBBCC6BD-F882-4DF7-9F96-CCA72D81DFD1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FOCS SOTD

Tuesday, July 7
Lo Storto Originale Gillette Platinum(2)
Omega 10005 Shave #9
Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang
Clubman Classic Vanilla

The Mike's Natural soap takes some time to load the brush, but the lather is worth is. The scent is musky with citrus overtones, not sweet at all. The brush is getting softer while keeping it's backbone, right now it is only holding enough lather for about two passes.

I started with my usual N-S pass under my nose then freestyled around my lips and chin, and a N-S pass from my sideburns to just under my jawline. I noticed the blade felt very smooth, while making sure to keep the angle very steep and using a little more pressure than I have used with this razor.
I don't think that I have had the angle steep enough or used enough pressure with my FOCS(2), as I was a bit gun shy from my FOCS(1) with the extra slant:letterk1:

I shaved my neck N-S smoothly while keeping the angle as steep as with my E2(I get lather on the tip of the handle), and I could barely feel the blade at all. There was just enough lather for another full second pass in the Omega, so I shaved my face nose to ear, and another N-S pass on my neck, then an ATG pass on my neck.

After patting my face off with a damp towel I used the HA then cleaned up my gear and rubbed the Witch hazel over my face and neck, with the Classic Vanilla delivering a gentle warm burn that settled down before the slick application of Nivea balm.

It was a good shave.

20200707_202010[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Gentle work with a rubber mallet might work better.
Oh Ye of little faith, Mike.

Remember, I used to work on screw machines. Screw machines don't have adjustment knobs. You put an indicator on the tool and tap it into place with a brass hammer.
The more you need to move the tool, the bigger the hammer :a13:

20200708_092921[1].jpg

My little brass hammer. Of course I will clamp the razor in a V-Block and use an indicator! I used this little jewel to straighten the teeth of my first New SC.

I think I made this hammer somewhere around 1976, and it has seen a LOT of use. After comparing the FOCS and my little brass hammer side-by-side I got out my scale and this is something that was completely unexpected :crazy:
20200708_093102[1].jpg
20200708_093141[1].jpg

FATE?

Top Bottom