What's new

VINTAGE VINOLIA stick

I used my Vinolia Shave Stick for my shave this morning with excellent results (this continues to give impressive lather and great scent)...However...While applying the stick, I accidentally rubbed part of the side of the stick on my face. Ouch!! Bit rough!! The top has become smooth with use but the sides still have the sandpaper feel.

I used my Vinolia Shave Stick for my shave this morning with excellent results (this continues to give impressive lather and great scent)...However...While applying the stick, I accidentally rubbed part of the side of the stick on my face. Ouch!! Bit rough!! The top has become smooth with use but the sides still have the sandpaper feel.
The stick is " bumpy " from years of moisture seepage... You actually should run the stick under hot water for 3 seconds, them massage into beard, rinsing the stick as needed and rotating the stick as you apply...This will quickly smooth out the soap's surface. You can also put a small puddle of hot water in the palm and work up a lather with your hands. Just apply to the beard by hand, working up a nice lather. At this point you can shave or build up a better lather with a soapy brush.

The stick is " bumpy " from years of moisture seepage... You actually should run the stick under hot water for 3 seconds, them massage into beard, rinsing the stick as needed and rotating the stick as you apply...This will quickly smooth out the soap's surface. You can also put a small puddle of hot water in the palm and work up a lather with your hands. Just apply to the beard by hand, working up a nice lather. At this point you can shave or build up a better lather with a soapy brush.
Great advice!! Thank you!!

I have now used the Vinolia stick twice, and both times have been, quite likely, the best shaves I've ever experienced. Granted, I haven't tried a lot of soaps, but of the ones I've tried, this stuff puts them to shame. My most recent shave with it was this weekend, using a Razorrock 400 Plissoft synth, and my trusty Merkur Progress set to 3. I ran the stick under hot water for just a few seconds (which mostly eliminated the bumps the first time I did it). I rubbed it on my cheeks and neck, and then went to work with the Razorrock 400. This stuff practically EXPLODES into lather on my face. It leaves the brush full of thick, rich, creamy lather, more than enough for three passes. The scent is, as has been described, a very masculine rose scent (I never thought such a thing was possible until I smelled this stuff). It is crazy slick. And so potent that I can touch up by just wetting my face after my final pass. It makes for the closest shaves and leaves my skin feeling like someone surgically grafted a baby's tuckus onto my mug.

It is heartbreaking that this may be the last stick of this stuff that I will ever get to use.

Edit: Here's a photo of my brush after my first pass:
5B472688-F6CD-4601-A0F2-139E52E4438E.jpeg

I have now used the Vinolia stick twice, and both times have been, quite likely, the best shaves I've ever experienced. Granted, I haven't tried a lot of soaps, but of the ones I've tried, this stuff puts them to shame. My most recent shave with it was this weekend, using a Razorrock 400 Plissoft synth, and my trusty Merkur Progress set to 3. I ran the stick under hot water for just a few seconds (which mostly eliminated the bumps the first time I did it). I rubbed it on my cheeks and neck, and then went to work with the Razorrock 400. This stuff practically EXPLODES into lather on my face. It leaves the brush full of thick, rich, creamy lather, more than enough for three passes. The scent is, as has been described, a very masculine rose scent (I never thought such a thing was possible until I smelled this stuff). It is crazy slick. And so potent that I can touch up by just wetting my face after my final pass. It makes for the closest shaves and leaves my skin feeling like someone surgically grafted a baby's tuckus onto my mug.

It is heartbreaking that this may be the last stick of this stuff that I will ever get to use.

Edit: Here's a photo of my brush after my first pass:
View attachment 1072692

Thanks for the review. I can only agree, and the stick only gets better and smoother after each use. I did a complete head shave with this and trusty fatboy + gillette Astras, wonderful. Yesterday I picked up a vintage straight razor that i honed, the marrige with this soap plus a straight was close to perfection.

Top Bottom