What's new

An evening smoke

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
This evening I missed the Zoom meetup because I had some family needs to attend to. I enjoy visiting with you gentlemen when able, but life tends to through up roadblocks...best laid plans and all that. Despite missing some time with all of you, I was able to enjoy a pipe. After the sun went down, the air had cooled and the sound of fireworks popping here and there had dwindled. I managed a bit of quiet on my porch swing with my dog and my thoughts. I intentionally left the porch light off and just enjoyed the glow of lightning bugs here and there as I puffed on my Peterson filled with some perfectly dried Burley Flake. It was one of those smokes that reaffirms why you smoke a pipe. I didn't focus on this virus and the civil unrest going on a half hour away in the city. I just existed in the moment and took in the stillness of my small town and was grateful. I really do believe that smoking a pipe has greatly increased my appreciation of just BEING. Our lives are so busy and filled with this and that. It can be difficult to find an escape. My pipes help me to do that. They help me put things in their proper place. To slow down. To be a better father, husband and man. To realign and remember the things that are really important...because I focus on them. I'm glad I found this hobby and I'm thankful for the friendships I have made here which remind of it, even when I don't have a pipe in hand.

Enjoy your smokes gents. Enjoy the time it takes to unwind with a pipe or a cigar. Refill the tanks and be grateful.

This evening I missed the Zoom meetup because I had some family needs to attend to. I enjoy visiting with you gentlemen when able, but life tends to through up roadblocks...best laid plans and all that. Despite missing some time with all of you, I was able to enjoy a pipe. After the sun went down, the air had cooled and the sound of fireworks popping here and there had dwindled. I managed a bit of quiet on my porch swing with my dog and my thoughts. I intentionally left the porch light off and just enjoyed the glow of lightning bugs here and there as I puffed on my Peterson filled with some perfectly dried Burley Flake. It was one of those smokes that reaffirms why you smoke a pipe. I didn't focus on this virus and the civil unrest going on a half hour away in the city. I just existed in the moment and took in the stillness of my small town and was grateful. I really do believe that smoking a pipe has greatly increased my appreciation of just BEING. Our lives are so busy and filled with this and that. It can be difficult to find an escape. My pipes help me to do that. They help me put things in their proper place. To slow down. To be a better father, husband and man. To realign and remember the things that are really important...because I focus on them. I'm glad I found this hobby and I'm thankful for the friendships I have made here which remind of it, even when I don't have a pipe in hand.

Enjoy your smokes gents. Enjoy the time it takes to unwind with a pipe or a cigar. Refill the tanks and be grateful.

Thanks for this, I showed it to my wife and she said anytime I need to, I can go smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Well written. You have indeed found the beautiful essence of pipe smoking. Congratulations my friend.

This evening I missed the Zoom meetup because I had some family needs to attend to. I enjoy visiting with you gentlemen when able, but life tends to through up roadblocks...best laid plans and all that.

I was on dinner duty last night. I was hoping that the 2hr. simmer time would line up with 2hr. pipe and cigar time but that didn't happen.

I'll catch you guys on the next one.

-jeremy

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

The pipe is certainly great for that, IF your mind is already up for it. I think I mentioned something about this in another thread. Sometimes I pack the pipe, get settled, light up... and realise I'm not settled at all. Some little voice in the back of my head says "nope, not ready". I know from experience to just put the pipe down, and go back to whatever unfinished business my brain doesn't want to leave alone.

When I come back to it, or if I get that timing right in the first place, it's brilliant! That moment of calm where you step outside the same progression of time as the rest of the human world, and just dwell in the moment, instead of having to do X by Y o'clock or Z will happen.

The narrowboat I used to have was great for that too. Tootling down the river or canal at walking speed, taking 8 hours to travel the distance that you could do in 20 minutes in the car. The down side from that was after getting back to your own moorings two days later, getting in the car, and trying to drive back home at the same speed....

The pipe gives me that same separation. A strange detachment, yet focussed presence. Seeing the world at the speed it should be, and letting it happen instead of trying to control it all. Pipe goes out... "I'll light it in a minute...", no frenzied rush to make it go again. The nicotine glow still building as it seeps through into your bloodstream, and makes its way round. Maybe it was thirty seconds before you noticed anyway. Maybe three minutes. Who knows? Who cares? Not me. Not now.

I think that waiting for the right moment, is part of why I don't smoke so much. I don't enjoy the bowls that seem to finish before I noticed them, as much as the ones when I'm in the zone. I kind of want every bowl to count, and to me that's worth waiting for.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The pipe is certainly great for that, IF your mind is already up for it. I think I mentioned something about this in another thread. Sometimes I pack the pipe, get settled, light up... and realise I'm not settled at all. Some little voice in the back of my head says "nope, not ready". I know from experience to just put the pipe down, and go back to whatever unfinished business my brain doesn't want to leave alone.

When I come back to it, or if I get that timing right in the first place, it's brilliant! That moment of calm where you step outside the same progression of time as the rest of the human world, and just dwell in the moment, instead of having to do X by Y o'clock or Z will happen.

The narrowboat I used to have was great for that too. Tootling down the river or canal at walking speed, taking 8 hours to travel the distance that you could do in 20 minutes in the car. The down side from that was after getting back to your own moorings two days later, getting in the car, and trying to drive back home at the same speed....

The pipe gives me that same separation. A strange detachment, yet focussed presence. Seeing the world at the speed it should be, and letting it happen instead of trying to control it all. Pipe goes out... "I'll light it in a minute...", no frenzied rush to make it go again. The nicotine glow still building as it seeps through into your bloodstream, and makes its way round. Maybe it was thirty seconds before you noticed anyway. Maybe three minutes. Who knows? Who cares? Not me. Not now.

I think that waiting for the right moment, is part of why I don't smoke so much. I don't enjoy the bowls that seem to finish before I noticed them, as much as the ones when I'm in the zone. I kind of want every bowl to count, and to me that's worth waiting for.
Well said and agreed.

Top Bottom