What's new

Is it ok to keep the blade inside your DE after shaving?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Same here, except I've never flipped the blade. And I only disassemble my 3-piece razors when I clean them with Scurbbing Bubbles and a toothbrush.

Flipping the blade has become habit for me. I have no idea if it does anything but it makes sense in my head haha.

Try this stuff, no toothbrush needed.

scrubbing_bubbles_mega_shower_foamer-trigger.png
I give mine a good dousing, both sides, in the sink and let it sit for maybe a minute then rinse it under running water. They come out looking like new. Great stuff that.

Flipping the blade has become habit for me. I have no idea if it does anything but it makes sense in my head haha.

Try this stuff, no toothbrush needed.

View attachment 1119912
I give mine a good dousing, both sides, in the sink and let it sit for maybe a minute then rinse it under running water. They come out looking like new. Great stuff that.
I'll see if I can find it!

If you read the Excalubur thread, I am sure some off the guys who try to us a blade for 100 shaves remove the blade, clean and dry it and the flip it over for the next shave to maximize the life, but you can also cut yourself or damage the blade in the process. If you are a more typical shaver who gets a week or less from a blade, there is little reason to remove it every day.

Best to remove the blade to prevent corrosion of you are using a zamak razor. If using a stainless or brass razor there is no need.

I leave it in there. Why handle it more than is necessary.

Yes indeed ! After a shave, I slightly open my razor so I can thoroughly rinse the blade clean
under running water (without touching the blade) and then re-tighten the razor. Then a quick
spray with 91 % alcohol to evaporate the excess water, then onto its rack. The blade stays in the razor.

Yes. I leave my blade inside DE until I'm done with the razor. I put it on a razor stand to dry and make sure to rinse the soap scum with water.

However, for my GEM razor, I had a bad experience leaving the blade in the razor. My Ted Pellas PTFE blade rusted a lot in a single day so for that blade, I'll have to take it out and dry it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Keep it inside my razor .

I try to reduce screw wear caused by frequent use, especially zamak.
In fact, I rarely encounter blade rust. Even if there is a little bit occasionally, it is easy to erase.
I mainly use gillette slim& super blue blades. Can use the blade for about a month.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Three-piece, leave alone for six shaves.

TTO gets opened and shook dry, with blade out of course.

AA

I've been using safety razor for 4 years now and my routine after shaving is to clean my razor and remove the blade. I place the blade inside the paper.
Can the blade get dull more quickly if keeping inside the razor or not?
Like most people who have responded, I leave the blade inside the razor until it‘s time to replace it. I would think handling the blade as you‘ve described after ever shave would definitely risk dulling it more quickly.

In a three-piece, I loosen the head, rinse it under hot water, blow on the head and through the top cap/baseplate, then hang it on a stand.

Which is a longer way of saying, yes, it's okay to leave it inside. With certain metals (e.g. brass), it's different. But for stainless steel (or plated ___), enjoy the ease of maintenance.

I remove the blade after every shave thoroughly rinse and let dry. I wash and polish the razor with a clean dry towel. The dry blade is flipped and put back into the razor, aligned properly and tightened down ready for use. Every filth or six time the threads get lubricated with Molykote 111. This keeps the threads silky smooth. If the razor is not in use It always looks the same pristine. My Gold Grande.

Attachments

• 6D152A5A-22F9-4896-B136-2305FDA8EE58.jpeg
    6D152A5A-22F9-4896-B136-2305FDA8EE58.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 5A36DE07-646E-43CB-83D0-222A563BBC36.jpeg
    5A36DE07-646E-43CB-83D0-222A563BBC36.jpeg
    775.5 KB · Views: 13

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lately I've been rotating so many blades that I take them out and stick em back in the wrapper.

When I'm "Excaliburing" I just blow it as hard as my feeble lungs allow, ha.

I don't take my blade out between shaves. I'll rinse the razor off, pat dry the handle & top of cap, then loosen cap & set razor in stand to dry until next shave. All with the blade left in. I believe that handling the blade & wrapping the blade in the tissue causes slight impact, & therefore damage, to the blade edge.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I've been using safety razor for 4 years now and my routine after shaving is to clean my razor and remove the blade. I place the blade inside the paper.
Can the blade get dull more quickly if keeping inside the razor or not?

If you really like to take out the blade, please do not wrap it in the paper before next use.
The edge of the blade is very thin and sensitive, reducing any touch will help keep it sharp.

You can try to stick the magnet to the corner of the wall or the inside of the medicine cabinet. Many people use this way to temporarily place the removed blade, which is safe and convenient.

I disassemble the razor (Rockwell 6S), wash the blade and razor parts under hot running water, then dry the parts on a clean towel and reassemble. I leave the tension off the blade. A metallurgist once told me that putting the blade away wet causes the sharp edge to degrade when it’s not in use.

Ive been leaving the blade in my razor for years and its fine. I give my razor a quick dip in a jar of alcohol when Im done to displace any water and prevent the blade from rusting.

I leave a blade in a razor until it is dull and will be discarded. Since I randomly cycle through about two dozen razors, a blade can be in a razor for a long time.

After a shave I rinse the razor well and let it dry on a stand the natural way.

I live in a sea climate but have soft water and I don't use stainless steel razors.

Top Bottom