What's new

Exclusively unscented soaps?

When I started back in 2015, I chose Proraso white based on price, availability, and supposedly being for sensitive skin. It has worked fine for me and agreed with my skin, but I've always wanted to try something different. This past Christmas, Santa decided to get me a few items off of my researched wish list. Now I'm rotating through WSP Au Naturel, SC Integrity, Mike's unscented, and Stirling Sheep. I like the last two so much that I just bought two more tubs of each! WK Bare Siero and M&M Nil are two more I'd like to try at some point, but not a priority. Seeing as soap scents are such a personal choice and can factor heavily in selecting a given soap, I was curious if anyone else only uses unscented soaps?

I have one from Declaration Grooming to try, but I haven’t started on it yet. I plant to see how it goes using just one soap and using the varying aftershaves according to my mood of the day. Might be nice to simplify inventory... but at current volumes it’s a good ways off.

I use unscented soaps for the most part. Once in a while, I venture into scented soaps and find that the unscented ones would be the best choice for me given my sensitivities. I strongly suggest that you give the Zingari Man Sego unscented line a try.
Zingari.JPG

This AM I had a great shave with MWF!! :a29:

It smells like ‘soap’ to me, so I would say it is unscented.

Back in the day there wasn’t many premium unscented options. Finally a great time to be an unscented user with a healthy amount of premium bases available with an unscented option.

This AM I had a great shave with MWF!! :a29:

It smells like ‘soap’ to me, so I would say it is unscented.

I'm still relatively new to wetshaving but MWF does not smell unscented to me. It has a natural smell to it. I wouldn't call it strong but when you smell it it is very distinct to the nose. Positive and masculine. I'm not currently a huge fan of it but I can see how I might be someday in the near future

I'm an unscented user due to sensitive skin, and MWF is definitely not unscented. It has a powdery/soapy scent that triggers an allergic reaction for me.

I love all the Stirling options, the Unscented with Beeswax, Naked and Smooth, and Sheep. The Sheep is the best by a small margin, but does have a little gamey smell while the others are truly scent-free.

Proraso Blue and White are scented, but very mild.

Given the value and efficacy of Stirling, I don't have much motivation to try other more expensive options. However, I have heard good things about Mystic Water Sensitive Skin (Unscented) with Calendula and Sea Buckthorn, and might soon give it a try.

I'm not currently using them but I'm leaning that way for the future. I prefer the milder scents, so it seems like a logical extension of that idea.

Some I have noted are Meissner Tremonia Puristic Style and Pots of Milk, Wickham 1912 Unscented, Phoenix & Beau Unscented, Soap Commander Integrity, as well as those mentioned earlier in this thread.

really, i've rarely found soaps with 'no scent', perhaps save very, very old pucks.
there are several with, imho, 'mild scents'.
those would include MWF, DRH almond and lavender, Speick, Haslinger, Williams, Proraso White.
you really need to experiment and see what works best for youself!
enjoy the journey!!

mild scent soaps.jpg

I do use some scented products, but I lean towards unscented products (especially when I go through "scent-sensitive phases"). There are some completely scentless soaps on the market. (I have made a great study of these...so I speak from experience). There are soaps on the market that say unscented, but they are definitely scented. The designation of "Sensitive" does not mean unscented or even low scent. In fact I am not sure what "sensitive" really means.

Here are some soaps that are without any scent:

1. Henri et Victoria Unscented (they also have an unscented ASB);
2. Soap Commander Integrity (they do have a matching ASB but it has a mild scent of menthol);
3. Stirling Naked and Smooth (they have a matching unscented ASB).
4. Lucky Tiger Shaving Cream (technically a cream, but it is unscented)
5. Valobra Unscented (if you can find it...a great soap).

There are a few with mild scent...even though they are labeled unscented:

1. Truefitt and Hill Unscented (again, technically a cream and it has a mild lavender scent)
2. Martin de Candre Unscented (a mild scent of something...not sure what...but it is not completely unscented).
3. Le Pere Lucien (very mild soap scent...but a very nice soap).

I recently picked up a wood bowl/puck of Art of Shaving unscented. I probably wouldn’t have bought an unscented shave soap, however it was on clearance (half price) at one of our local grocery stores that happen to carry a few AoS products. I kind of like the idea now as I can use this when I don’t want my soap scent to clash with something else I want to use that day. I already knew I would like the performance as I recently finished a puck of their sandalwood soap. In my experience, the current iteration of their shave soap formula is a perfectly fine performer.

I have pretty much made the shift to using only unscented soaps. I have PIFd many of my scented soaps already. I find using unscented soaps helps me focus on the lather and not the scent of a product. I also only use unscented post shave products as wel. And I feel much better without exposing myself to scented products.

One reason I like DR Harris soaps is that they are mildly scented. So that the scent can be enjoyed while building a face lather, but fade towards unscented by the end of the shave.

I've been moving toward unscented and lightly scented soaps for a while. I got tired of how overly fragranced most soaps are. It is very nice to not be bombarded with fragrances when you just want a clean shave.

Regarding Wholly Kaw's Bare Sierro, I find that it sometimes has some unpleasant notes to it. The company tells me they come from the whey, and that would explain why it smells a bit like protein powder. Supposedly they fade out the longer you leave the soap uncovered, but I get whiffs here and there.

After many years of being a Geo F Trumper brand loyalist (with the occassional mixing in of various other brands here and there), I got a bowl of Stirling "Naked and Smooth" as my wife ran searches of every ingredient and suggested that if I was ever going to have a shave free of irritation with a soap, this would be it.

The lather is in a different league to Trumper's foam AND their soap, and indeed, a different league to anything else I've ever used - gels, creams, soaps, oils, you name it, this has been giving me the best shave I've ever had, and with nil, absolutely zero, irritation.

M

Member 113878

I'm also getting more unscented soaps/creams.
However, I'm also going exclusively with vegan products, so Stirling is excluded.
They had a vegan line for a while (Latha) but unfortunately dropped it.

After many years of being a Geo F Trumper brand loyalist (with the occassional mixing in of various other brands here and there), I got a bowl of Stirling "Naked and Smooth" as my wife ran searches of every ingredient and suggested that if I was ever going to have a shave free of irritation with a soap, this would be it.

The lather is in a different league to Trumper's foam AND their soap, and indeed, a different league to anything else I've ever used - gels, creams, soaps, oils, you name it, this has been giving me the best shave I've ever had, and with nil, absolutely zero, irritation.
Yup. As far as unscented soaps go, this one is in a league by itself. Indeed, if I was to pick only one soap to go to the Moon with, this would be it. Top shelf.

Top Bottom