What's new

Will need to figure out a few things

as some of you know, I had a stroke Jan of 2015. The stroke left me mostly paralyzed on my left side. this means I cannot move my left arm at all so I will need to sorta learn how to wet shave with only my right hand and will probably need to have someone change the blade in my razor for me when that needs to be done. I will also need to get a rubber friction sheet so my shaving soap doesn't slide all over the counter. I am also thinking of getting a vise-grip device to clamp onto my bathroom counter to hold the razor while I unscrew the head of my razor so I can change the blade myself. I have a flaw... I usually avoid asking for help even if it is obvious that I need help. I've used the help from various gentlemen on this forum in the past.
I welcome helpful advice and suggestions. I still have my razors and shaving brush but will need blades and soap along with alum and aftershave. I am working on convincing the people in charge of this nursing home where I now live to let me have and use my safety razors. they don't want me to have my safety razors because the blades can be removed from the razor. I made it clear to them that I'm not a suicide risk but they think I will become clumsy and cut myself. My sister has my razors. If I cannot convince them to let me have and use my razors I will have to wait until I move in with my fiance (I don't know when that will happen.). I will try to check this forum on a more regular basis from now on. It has been five years and I am still adjusting to post-stroke life.

So sorry to hear about the stroke. And although it might not be ideal, maybe want to consider an electric? Lots of good options these days, and plenty of folks with experience here. I shave routinely with an electric, with all my DE software, and alternate frequently between blades and electric, including rotaries and foil.

I had a hemorrhagic stroke February 2016, paralyzing my right side (I was right-handed), so I know how you feel. I had been using shave cream and brush for 15 years and I was bound and determined to continue...

I spent 6 weeks in rehab and I would not let them use a cart, that's how determined I was to get back to shaving - it was and is something I really enjoy!

I was face lathering w/cream before, so that was familiar. I have a towel on the counter that I use for several things, like pressuring the razor to change the blade, or placing the tub of cream on to keeping it from sliding. I stand at the sink...

I had a doctor at first who said I'd never walk again, so I fired him! I found therapists that were, and are, fantastic! I've had PT, OT, Aqua Therapy, Constraint Therapy, Acupuncture, and now Therapeutic Massage, and they all helped. I walk now about a mile a day with a leg brace, but the right arm is still not cooperating...

You CAN do it - I know you can - and B&B has been a help! And my special friends here have been a great help, and you know who you are :thumbup:

Last edited:
I had a norelco electric razor but it got lost somewhere.
So sorry to hear about the stroke. And although it might not be ideal, maybe want to consider an electric? Lots of
I had and used a
So sorry to hear about the stroke. And although it might not be ideal, maybe want to consider an electric? Lots of good options these days, and plenty of folks with experience here. I shave routinely with an electric, with all my DE software, and alternate frequently between blades and electric, including rotaries and foil.
I had a norelco electric razor once. but it got lost in a move. while I had it,
I didn't like the shaves I got from it. weird razor burn from it even when I used the face chalk.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Where there is a will, you will find a way and you will be better for it in many ways.
A strong mind can do anything, overcome anything, it is your choice and yours alone.
There is no shame in asking for help and ideas. Only good can come from it.
Moving forward and overcoming obstacles makes us stronger - better.
You've already decided to proceed.
We will be here when you need us.

Top Bottom