What's new

What's Your Brush Today?

Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger.jpg

Semogue Torga C-5
First use of the Torga C-5, and it seems like it will break in and be a nice brush. The brush didn’t smell bad, has tips soft enough for break in via face lathering, good knot density, and a nice (but fairly small) handle. I’m now up to three Semogue and three Omega Boar brushes. I like and enjoy both, so I don’t have a fight in the Italian vs Portuguese Brush wars. However, if you are on the fence, get a couple of each and explore the differences and decide which you prefer...I simply prefer MORE!
5121AA12-3CEE-4193-B773-618FB9C48574.jpeg
4C73F7B2-82C2-4097-B3F9-8AE063F84D66.jpeg

A6D41843-396A-46D6-B10B-5DD959543CE0.jpeg
86D23405-53E4-4DC3-B7D5-82BBA6C3E0CB.jpeg

Of all the various bits of kit required to wet shave, the one that is of least interest to me is the shave brush. Having said that, I seem to have acquired a fair number of them; seven at the current count with another incoming!

dkpwatson64_1592922473.jpg

In my defence they're generally inexpensive and offer different experiences depending on their knot’s size, material and shape, the handle shape and of course the soap or cream used.

I've always liked the idea of a Simpson’s finest boar brushes and while I’m sure they're excellent, I’m not going to pay the sort of money they cost, not for a brush.

But I was pleased to see that they offer a synthetic range, in three sizes called Trafalgar, with the largest - the T3 costing an inconsequential £23. So there he is at the front of the crowd.

I now only purchase synthetic and boar brushes, as there are some horrific tales of how badger brushes are cruelly made in China. The synthetic brushes are easier to look after in any event and do just as good a job.

L - R we have:
Front row: Edwin Jagger boar, Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic, Semogue 830 boar
Back row: Yaqi Aqua Blue synthetic, Stirling Soap’s Butterscotch Boar, Razorock Butterscotch Beehive synthetic, Yaqi Mokka synthetic

I've used the Trafalgar now for the last three shaves and it's excellent! A great brush, good at loading, lathering and very quick to dry! :)

Top Bottom