What's new

What did you hone today?

@Gamma what is freehand honing vs the usual nagura progression?

Freehand, as opposed to using the blade itself or a raised spine as a honing guide. I believe wedges were, originally, honed with the spine elevated off the stone. This was sort of a reenactment/historical type of thing.

Nice to have a chef as a son on fathers day, oh ya, that is a hone too.

Best to all of you fathers out there,

Alex
beef2.jpg

So yesterday evening I honened my new Schulze 6/8, previous owner dit not ho nn e it so had factory edge.
Progression:
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3 K
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4 K
Nakayama with Tenjio Mejiro Koma and tomo.

This morning the shave And it was very good, 2 pass and smooth!
SWK xl scuttle
Schulze 6/8
Shavemac LE Shaving Society1 DO1 2 band flat
WSP Mahogany soap
WSP Mahogany AS
WSP Mahogany ASB
WSP Mahogany edt

20200623_100449.jpg
20200623_104137.jpg

I have a Swede on the way so I thought I’d bone up on my honing of very hard steel. So I broke out the hitachi white steel and went to town.

First I killed the edge on a glass and tried to bring it back with a DN slurry but the heel was a problem so I just did the ol 2,5,8 shapton pro then went to the jnat.

image.jpg

My honing station is shut down by a kitchen remodel.

This P.Hospital&Co. 5/8 Le Grelot 52 Special Coiffeur had arrived from BST but was waiting in the honing queue "just in case". For whatever reason, the rounded tip of the round-ish/French-ish point hit the wedge on closing. A little careful filing fixed that today, but there was the razor in my hand.

At least the strops are easily accesible, so I gave it 60 laps each on the 50/100/200 diamond pasted balsa progression, 19 on flax linen and 29 on Tony Miller horsehide. I believe in shave tests, but the HHT has to suffice today. I am looking forward to ringing the bell tomorrow.
48648F7E-BCD9-44F7-A263-D00A5C690B2B.jpeg

Joseph Rodgers (rescaled in horn)
CVH MK No 22 (rescaled in bone)
Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 (original)

Norton 1, 4, 8k, Naniwa 12k
0.5, 0.25, 0.10u pasted balsa
50 laps bench strop, 60 laps hanging TM Steerdovan

IMG_20200706_124903.jpgIMG_20200706_134936.jpg
I think the Rodgers needs some work still, but the others are good to go.

I bought one of those Herder 8/8 Spade and Double Key razors on eBay for the hell of it. Came in yesterday, so put it on the stones today. That sucker is NOISY on the stones!! Like really noisy.

It gave me a chance to place with some of the random nagura that Alex Gilmore sent me to play with (thanks again, Alex!).

Chosera 1K
Chsera 1K with unknown nagura
Chosera 3K
Chosera 3K with unknown nagura
Ozuku with 1200 diamond plate
Ozuku with unknown nagura
Ozuku with unknown nagura #2
Ozuku with water

Feedback was all over the board, as this blade didnt give the usual sticky sensation you get when a blade is ready to move on. But the nagura with the karasu pattern really seemed to let me known when I was done. Cant wait to try and shave with this guy, though he is a 3"+ blade, and I am used to shorties!

proxy.php

Top Bottom