What's new

Why Hone Edge Leading?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When first learning to hone SR's, I was taught to hone edge (not spine) leading, particularly after the bevel is set. What is the reason for this?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When first learning to hone SR's, I was taught to hone edge (not spine) leading, particularly after the bevel is set. What is the reason for this?

Because it works best in the most circumstances. Because almost everyone does it that way almost exclusively. Because stiction feedback is strongest that way. Will spine leading honing make a razor sharp? Indubitably. Better than edge leading, in general? No, IMHO. But by all means, do a proper scientific test for yourself, and add to our knowledge base and documentation.

Intuitively, I would say that leading with the spine would be more prone to creating a fin edge. I have no data or even anecdotes to back that up. Maybe someone else does.

When I start my honing process, I generally start with circles. That means some of the honing is edge leading, some is edge trailing and some is diagonal or sideways. I might do a dozen circles on one side and then a dozen circles on the other. If setting a bevel from scratch, I might start with 50 circles on each side. Then I will repeat the process with every fewer circles on each side. However, as I near the end point for that particular hone, I then use diagonal, edge leading x-strokes to that the scratches or stria left by that stone will be parallel. That makes it easier to inspect the edge under a loupe or microscope. Then moving on to the next hone, I repeat the process, starting with circles and ending with x-strokes. Once I get to my finishing hone, there will be fewer circles and more x-strokes, ever decreasing in pressure until I get the edge I want.

However, that is my procedure. Everyone develops their own system. If you look at honing videos on YouTube, you will see a lot of different ways to do it. Ultimately, you have to figure out what works best for you with your razors, your hones and your preferences for edge quality.

I doubt it makes a meaningful difference. For my razors it's always edge leading for the finishing. For my edcs though I find edge trailing works at least as well as edge leading. I couldnt say yes but i wouldnt say no. Lol.

I would say that leading with the spine would be more prone to creating a fin edge. I have no data or even anecdotes to back that up. Maybe someone else does.

this is what i was showing in the link that poorly worked to the post i was referring to. Since the only real backhoning ( is that what it's called?) conversation i really remember well came out of the spoon shave fellow, Murray Carter, i didnt want to present any info as my own.

Because honing spine leading does in fact cause a foil. (On razors anyway... low honing angle.)
This has been well established by the boogieman who shall not be named.
An interesting observation is that this fin sits on top of a vastly superiour geometry for the given grit value.
The fin can be stropped away with a pasted jeans or canvas strop leaving behind a very clean and chip free apex.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience the spine leading stroke is more effective on softer surfaces like balsa or leather on a paddle strop. IMHO sharpening a razor with the edge leading on a whetstone (whether synths or naturals) gives you more control and precision.

If you want to finish with spine leading strokes, do it on a pasted balsa instead.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In my experience the spine leading stroke is more effective on softer surfaces like balsa or leather on a paddle strop. IMHO sharpening a razor with the edge leading on a whetstone (whether synths or naturals) gives you more control and precision.

If you want to finish with spine leading strokes, do it on a pasted balsa instead.
I do use spine leading on balsa, linen and leather strops. That is strppping and I do that so that I don't cut into the stropping medium.

My OP refers to honing on a relatively hard medium like whetstones or lapping film on acrylic.

I do use spine leading on balsa, linen and leather strops. That is strppping and I do that so that I don't cut into the stropping medium.

My OP refers to honing on a relatively hard medium like whetstones or lapping film on acrylic.

Yes, like I said on hard medium I didn't see any noticeable benefit from doing spine leading strokes. Everything I said is just based on my own personal experience. So I stopped doing that and simply went to my pasted balsa after the finishing stone.

Also someone made mention that spine leading strokes on a whetstone could potentially create a frown, to which I somewhat agree although that never actually happened to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Dont you have 7 identical?
Yes, but they are used in my M7DS that now almost have a perfect edge. They are not for experimentation.

Currently being shipped to me are 2 x Titan ACRM-2, 8 x Titan VG10-HZ (for my next M7DS) and 3 x Gold Dollar W59. I will use either the new W59 or ACRM-2 for this little experiment.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A few days ago I received some Gold Dollar W59's to play with. I bread-knifed them and started from scratch on their edges. In doing this, I also decided to try both edge leading and edge trailing honing. Here is what I found.

Using a 1k synthetic whetstone, it was easier and quicker to set the bevel using edge trailing. Edge leading with the same pressure tended to produce macro chips in the edge so I had to reduce pressure, this taking longer.

I then moved onto a natural that is about 3k and, using less pressure, I found no difference in edge leading or trailing.

Then I moved onto lapping film. Here edge trailing started to produce a small amount of fin edge. Edge leading did not.

I finished off on my finer films using edge leading for both, before moving onto my diamond pasted balsa strops for the finish.

Well, that's what I learned using my honing style.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@oneon3putts, you link came up as I was writing me last post. Thanks and interesting.

His theory kind of matched my observations, particularly when I was on my 1k synthetic initially setting the bevel.

His sharpening system actually uses both leading/trailing when setting the bevel. Then after the bevel is set with the 1k, he only uses edge trailing to refine the edge on higher grit stones. Being a knife enthusiast, I never understood the edge leading sharpening when honing razors and the use of hanging strops...Especially when you compare the delicate edge of a razor to a knife.

BTW, you can simply deburr by stropping on a newspaper or run it through cork.

TBH, I don’t recall anything fundamental changing towards spine leading coming out of “this” conversation back when it was going on with Mr. Carter. And i think everyone was watching it unfold given the players. There was lots of discussion that you can go back and reread.

It’s been too long for me to recall the follow-up back and forth that went on.

Top Bottom