What's new

I inherited these today.

I inherited these today from the estate of a distant cousin of my wife who was a hero chopper pilot (silver stars and bronze star) in Vietnam in '65 . That's A George Wolstenholm & Sons I*XL razor (Washington Works Sheffield) in a Joseph Allen & Sons Non XLL case.
IMG_20200627_151324570.jpg

The torpedo thing may be completely unrelated, but it was my speculation that it might have something to do with the razor. It's stamped "Germany" on one side.

Any thoughts on these?

nice "Wosty" razor that could be cleaned up and honed.

the stone is a scythe stone i think. i don't know if people use these a razor hones.. maybe?

nice "Wosty" razor that could be cleaned up and honed.

the stone is a scythe stone i think. i don't know if people use these a razor hones.. maybe?
The razor is pretty damned sharp as is, but it looks like it's been inexpertly cared for. Who's the best for restoration, these days? And is there any reason I shouldn't get it into ship-shape and use it? Is it a collector piece?

Near as I can tell from web research, it isn't 19th century. But I'm about as far from expert as one can get. I just like old things.

The razor is pretty damned sharp as is, but it looks like it's been inexpertly cared for. Who's the best for restoration, these days? And is there any reason I shouldn't get it into ship-shape and use it? Is it a collector piece?

Near as I can tell from web research, it isn't 19th century. But I'm about as far from expert as one can get. I just like old things.

While its a pretty nice razor, its not really a collectors piece. Shave ready is different than sharp, but if it was good to go then thats a plus. definitely learn to use it.

I don’t follow the restoration scene pros enough to recommend, but maybe someone can chime in. I would keep it patina’d, it looks like nice horn scales. Probably early 20th century, does it say England on the tang?

While its a pretty nice razor, its not really a collectors piece. Shave ready is different than sharp, but if it was good to go then thats a plus. definitely learn to use it.

I don’t follow the restoration scene pros enough to recommend, but maybe someone can chime in. I would keep it patina’d, it looks like nice horn scales. Probably early 20th century, does it say England on the tang?

Says Sheffield.

IMG_20200627_203130982.jpg

Then it was made before 1890 as after it would have England, I would get it honed just give it a quick polish with some auto solve and good to go.
Don't spoil it by giving it a high shine as it has history to it as is.

Then it was made before 1890 as after it would have England, I would get it honed just give it a quick polish with some auto solve and good to go.
Don't spoil it by giving it a high shine as it has history to it as is.
Point taken. I love old things, and I love them best when they have some patina.

@razgueado, you are a very fortunate gentleman. I hope you enjoy using a razor with such a fine history.
Bob Sweazey was a sweetheart of a guy. Very smart, very creative, very technically adept, and a hoot to hang out with. Flew 747s for Evergreen Air. He died of head injuries sustained when he fell from his hayloft and connected with the tailgate of his truck. I was the only one who hung with him when he was taken off life support. I wept over him.

Nobody knew about the silver stars and bronze star until his funeral. One of those kinds of guys. I miss him awful, and I will think of him every time I use this razor.

Here is some info for you to read

Originally the family name was spelt ‘Wolstenholme’ but, story has it that the second George found this name too long for smaller knives so he omitted the letters ‘l’ and ‘e’. The name has been spelt Wostenholm ever since.

The second George moved production to Sheffield where he built the fabled Rockingham Works (known locally as the Rockingham Wheel) in around 1810. Knives made in this factory and marked “Rockingham Works” are highly prized by knife collectors to this day.

Here is George 2nd his father

george-wostenholm.jpg

GEORGE WOSTENHOLM 1800-1876
The third George Wostenholm (b1800) served his apprenticeship under his father at Rockingham Works. The first entry in The Sheffield City Directory (which incorrectly spells the name!) confirming the father and son partnership comes from 1825;

"WOLSTENHOLME, GEORGE & SON, manufacturers of table knives and forks, pen, pocket and sportsman’s knives, and general dealers in cutlery, 78 Rockingham Street"

But your razor was made in the Washington Works Sheffield and this is the factory as it was

george-wostenholm-1862-p141-image.jpg
washington-works.jpg
george-wostenholm-1889-p166.jpg

So yes your Razor has great History behind it plus shared the same city as a few others Wade & Butcher & Joseph Rodgers

Top Bottom