What's new

Brush loading and lathering and technique

I'd have replied, had I seen your post, that my Silvertip Badger brush from Art Of Shaving developed a dinosaur extinction level crater in its center after about 6 years of using it without being excessively hard on it. And the majority of that time was spent using creams. But, anyway... good to know that synthetics seem to be perceived of as being more resistant. My razorock synthetic is the best brush I've ever had. All this comes from the fact that we are firmly in our home as no waste as possible and that something that sort of gives up just because we didn't use it right isn't cool to us.

Ah gotcha. Well given the fact that you have in fact worn out a brush i understand your quest for the perfect lathering method. I don’t have anything to add in that arena but i WOULD recommend trying synthetics. I honestly think they’re near indestructible. Personally i prefer natural hair brushes but i’ve not tried an array of brushes. Many of those who have swear synthetics are better.

I would simply say let the brush characteristics dictate how much pressure.

I have brushes with strong backbone and I apply enough pressure to get it to splay until it's comfortable, in this case, the splay is not big.

Today I used my WSP silvertip which is higher lofted and not much pressure was required to splay it.

So I just let my brushes tell me how much to push onto my face.

The other factor is preference...some people like strong backbone and mashing it into their face.

I personally prefer medium backbone and a good, natural splay.

Entropy is inevitable. A brush is a tool, and all tools will fail eventually.

Use it how you want to and enjoy it.

Marco method for me, I’ll mash a brush all day long. I have enough to last me awhile and when they’re done I’ll get more.

I get not wasting things, but at $4-$150, not all that concerned.

I get not wasting things, but at $4-$150, not all that concerned.
My issue with waste isn't about the cost although I consider anything even a quarter of the way to $150 too much to waste. My issue is with something being thrown away needlessly when another product could have lasted longer and become one less thing chucked away.

I don't think there is the right answer

I use cheap synth from local store and the right answer for me is:
- medium/high pressure while loading and also when face lathering (not using bowl)
- I prefer drier brush, I make pasty lather and then slowly thin it out, I just quickly flick the brush under tap and go to face

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are a lot of variables here, including which brush, your water and the soap.

Some people would pump to try and add air to a cream mixture. I think pumping a brush is asking for trouble. Even with a cheap brush, it seems nonsensical to intentionally damage it.

I often think people make building lather more complicated than necessary. You need an ample amount of product and enough water to make your desired lather consistency. Get some soap on the brush and add water - it's not golf (or even rocket science - which people actually learn).

Very wet brush, gently use the tips for quite a few swirls on the load - works great. Damp brush with enough pressure to splay over the puck, faster load and then add water - works great.

Don't intentionally ruin your brush.
Get enough soap (load as long as your water/brush/technique requires)
Use enough water.

If you really want to you can ignore the first one and go ahead and ruin a brush or two - it's your money). The other two are all you need for making lather.

If your lather is too thin and runny you probably need more soap (or less water).
If it's too think add more water (duh).

Don't worry about the rest, nobody is peeking in your bathroom window to check on your technique.

Top Bottom