What's new

Two unrelated questions, alum and bowls

Well, I'd say that's probably because the forum is so organised and the thread is so useful that it makes one want to continue the conversation. ;)

Just coming back to this again... your dissolved stone never clogs up the spray head or tube?
It does crystalize around the nozzle and will clog eventually, if I don't use it over the weekend or maybe three days. A quick rinse under warm water does the trick. Remember that its solubility in water increases with temperature.
I believe this why many users end up with melted "rock", because they use hot water to rinse or apply.
I noticed that if I use the cap to reduce evaporation around nozzle it does not clog that easy.
I don't mind using the stone directly on skin/armpit, but must admit the spray bottle is much more convenient.
Never had a clogged tube.

Remember that its solubility in water increases with temperature.
I believe this why many users end up with melted "rock", because they use hot water to rinse or apply.
Wait, I'm a bit confused. You're saying the warmer the water the MORE it dissolves or the more it clumps up?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just coming back to this again... your dissolved stone never clogs up the spray head or tube?
Just remember, potassium alum can be used with water as an antiperspirant. Alone with water, it is not a deodorant. Deodorants contain additional chemicals to kill offending bacteria.

Just remember, potassium alum can be used with water as an antiperspirant. Alone with water, it is not a deodorant. Deodorants contain additional chemicals to kill offending bacteria.
Oh, I'm aware, I've been using the stuff for a few years now. 👍

Wait, I'm a bit confused. You're saying the warmer the water the MORE it dissolves or the more it clumps up?
Let me break this down:
It does crystalize around the nozzle and will clog eventually, if I don't use it over the weekend or maybe three days.
I assume you are using a spray bottle with a nozzle. The spray is created at the surface of the nozzle due to change in diameter and pressure. The output of the nozzle is a much smaller diameter than the input, so this is where the crystals form again when water evaporates, over time.

A quick rinse under warm water does the trick. Remember that its solubility in water increases with temperature.
If this happens to your spray bottle you can scrub the nozzle or you can quickly run warm/hot water over the nozzle, where the crystals are formed, thus getting rid of the clog. You could run cold water but will take longer.

The above statement was just a note and it has nothing to do with the subject of your post.

I noticed that if I use the cap to reduce evaporation around nozzle it does not clog that easy.
I believe this is pretty self explanatory.

Never had a clogged tube.
If the alum powder has completely dissolved in water inside the bottle, there is nothing to clog the tube.

I hope this helps.

Potassium Alum is not an antiperspirant. Period. It is a deodorant as it inhibits bacterial growth. It does nothing to prevent sweating. But, due to its slightly acidic PH, it will kill bacteria that is causing the body odor.

Antiperspirants? Deodorants?
I can't believe I agreed to the other person. I was totally not paying attention to what he said. Of COURSE it's not an antiperspirant. Don't know why I agreed with him. I just reread it and don't know what I was thinking.

Anyway, I wanted to come in here and reply to you to let you know that at the same ratio you suggested, I created a spray this morning and wasn't going to test it because it was gonna be 35 celsius here with humidity making it feel like 42 and I thought, there is no WAY I'm testing it today. And then my wife and I said, actually why the hell not! This is EXACTLY when we should test it! So we did. We tend to sweat in far far less temperature. But if this didn't stop the smell then it needed to be stronger. We got back, no problem whatsoever! Works like a charm!! So, thank you!

1. I make my own deodorant spray and it has been used with success by the whole family, for many years.
It's been over a year and through several seasons this recipe has been amazing. We had maybe 4 tbsp of broken bits of stone, over a year later we are JUST NOW getting to the end of the second tbsp. Just incredible. The money and plastic saved in deodorants, even if it was just the packaging of the stone, has been wonderful. Thank you!! Happy Holidays!

I may try this out soon. does the salt stain your shirts?

1. I make my own deodorant spray and it has been used with success by the whole family, for many years.

• In a mortar - crush potassium alum with the pestle, until a coarse powder.
  • one tablespoon of the powder in an 8oz spray bottle, then fill the bottle with distilled water.
  • Shake vigorously several times until all alum is dissolved.
make 4 to 6 bottles at a time. This is verbovolant’s "formula" and use it at your own risk.

...And why are Bronze Age threads being resurrected so frequently these days?...
We live in the 3Rs era. Question is, why start yet another thread when this one is just as good?
In my opinion, it would be much easier to have one thread on this topic and everyone add their own experience and knowledge, rather than chasing threads around and keep apologising for opening a new thread.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
We live in the 3Rs era. Question is, why start yet another thread when this one is just as good?
In my opinion, it would be much easier to have one thread on this topic and everyone add their own experience and knowledge, rather than chasing threads around and keep apologising for opening a new thread.

That's a better answer than I came up with to the question and more positive .. but I was on another twist, I thought at this particular stressful holiday time, in a particularly stressful year there were a lot of members sitting alone at the keyboard cruising for something other than today's headlines, triggering the necroposting .. this is at least the third I recall this week ..

But, to the OP, I always drop the alum before it is gone, but they are like soap bars and I think about saving them somehow then get a new one ..

And I mash the brush when I use a bowl (moreso on the face lathers) and haven't lost a brush yet ..

1: making it very fine like powder. Dissolve in hot water until it no longer dissolved. Add 10-25% extra water to prevent cristalization when cooling down. If too strong dilute to taste.
You can of course start trying with a diluted version.
I would use alumn which is sold as a deo stick using that stick works of course also.

2: ridges make difference for me

3: I always make circles never pump but I have seen technique with a linear motion to prevent brush internal damage
sorry in Dutch but halfway you get the gist of it.

Top Bottom