What's new

Open Your Storage: Oldest Soap

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have a couple dozen soaps from the 40 50 60's.
They work terrific.

Dear Jim, which soaps from the 1940's in particular? Were these soaps used by soldiers during WWII? And have they maintained some of their scents over such a long time? Many thanks. :001_smile

Hi Marco,
Most of the old soaps have no scent left.
The english ones can be roughly dated by the royal warrents but only in a general way.
Some of the USA soaps are easy to date by the packaging in advertisements.
I dont think enlisted men would be using the big three soaps but perhaps the officers may have.

a couple old colgate sticks.
maybe from the 30's. that is, the 1930's.
no scent other than soap.
but lathers great!

colgate sticks.jpg

Some I still have, some are gone.

1930s & 1940s Yardley
1940s Erasmic
1950s Williams.
1940s - early 50s Old Spice
1940s Colgate Barber Roll
30s/40s Seaforth

I have one puck of Van der Hagen soap sitting in my salsa lathering bowl uncovered. I don't have space to keep multiple in use pucks in my shave den tray.

I used to have many really old classics (Yardley, Fougere Royale, Old Spice, etc), but sold most of them. All I have left at this point are 40’s-early 50’s era Hershey Cocoa Butter shave soap and 2 pucks of Wrisley in the Spruce and Saddle Club varieties. Outstanding stuff.

Hi,

Oster soap pucks from about 1950. They were for the model 222 latherservice machine. Still works fine stuck in an Old Spice mug and used with a brush. I don't know if it will still form lather in a 222, which pumped hot water around the soap puck until hot foamy lather came out the spout.

I have a thread on the machine:

Hard soap lasts forever.

More modern, I have two mugs of Old Spice with that soap still in. I got them when my Dad passed away in 1995. So, they aren't newer than that, and probably late 80s as that is when OS disappeared. Mom used to give him either a new mug with soap or a refill puck every Christmas. I use one or the other a couple times a year. Always works fine.

Stan

ooh, I have 2 creams from before I started soap. Still have a bit of T&H Trafalger (used about 2 months ago will likely finish next year) and Proraso red used last December. I guess my first soap was proraso white (easily over 6 years), Ladydials used it this morning.

ooh, I have 2 creams from before I started soap. Still have a bit of T&H Trafalger (used about 2 months ago will likely finish next year) and Proraso red used last December. I guess my first soap was proraso white (easily over 6 years), Ladydials used it this morning.
actually at least 7 years and my RR Chianti is almost as old.

Top Bottom