What's new

How do you determine if a razor is made with Zamak?

There is controversy over Zamak razors and their durability. How does one determine if a razor is made with Zamak?

The only general guidelines I know is if the razor is recent and inexpensive it probably is Zamak. But is there a more precise way to identify a Zamak razor before the purchase?

Usually, you can tell by weight. Stainless and brass are denser than zamak. The shape of the pieces often gives you a clue. Zamak is die-cast so you will see a lot of rounded edges and thicker cross-sections.

Do some research or ask on the forum. Most of the manufacturers of repute seem to declare what the material is. Cost seems to be a fair guide too.

Do some research or ask on the forum. Most of the manufacturers of repute seem to declare what the material is. Cost seems to be a fair guide too.
I remember for a long time Fendrihan sold a line of their razors that they claimed repeatedly were stainless steel but were later demonstrated to be zamak.

The weight was suspiciously light and eventually someone dissected one of them to find the dreaded zamak. It took several emails and repeated denials before Fendrihan finally changed the description on their website.

Prior to the truth coming out, people were really happy with the bargain "stainless steel" razors they bought.

Of course, watch out for "stainless steel" or "brass" or "bronze" razors on AliExpress or other Chinese websites.

:chinese: "Just tell the foreigners what they want to hear, too hard to explain."

If you are asking before buying, just post a question of the razor you have in mind. Folks here will quickly tell you if it is Zamak.

Price is a good indicator. The least stainless steel razor is the Game Changer by Razorock at around $55. Cheaper than that is probably Zamak.

If you are asking about one you have in hand, you can tell by the coating. The top cap will be smooth and shiny. No imperfections. Surely a stainless steel razor with that type of finish would be big $$$$$. The baseplate and under the cap MAY have a slightly less perfect finish. An Edwin Jagger had a perfect finish on all parts. Again, at a $40 price that finish would be $$$$$ on a stainless steel razor.

Zamak razors are not the worst thing. They certainly serve a purpose and can be used for years. I have dropped a Zamak razor and nothing happened. It's a matter of luck I guess. I would still recommend an Edwin Jagger to anyone looking to start using a DE.

You cannot always tell whether a razor is Zamac based on the weight of the razor. There are many razors that have plated brass handles, but have plated Zamac heads.

Plated Zamac heads can last for years if you do not drop them. However, they will eventually fail, normally at the threads. If you clean and lubricate the threads, they will last longer. If you spend $30 on a razor and it lasts five-10 years, is that a tragedy. With some more expensive razors like Muihle, you can purchase replacement heads for about half the price of a new razor as long as the screw does not break off in the handle.

If you want a razor that can last a lifetime, purchase a CNC machined stainless steel razor. For the price, you could have purchased several Zamac head razors. There is no right choice or wrong choice; get whatever meets your needs.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There is controversy over Zamak razors and their durability. How does one determine if a razor is made with Zamak?

The only general guidelines I know is if the razor is recent and inexpensive it probably is Zamak. But is there a more precise way to identify a Zamak razor before the purchase?

Does it really matter?

I got around 7 years use out of my Jagger before I needed to replace the cap. That replacement cost me £7.50, and came with a free pack of blades. Is that so unreasonable as to avoid using the razor that gives me my best shaves? I think not.

You cannot always tell whether a razor is Zamac based on the weight of the razor. There are many razors that have plated brass handles, but have plated Zamac heads...
You can take the heads off and weigh the cap or base plate separately on a scale. Compare with weight of parts from a similar razor of a known material.

I remember for a long time Fendrihan sold a line of their razors that they claimed repeatedly were stainless steel but were later demonstrated to be zamak.

The weight was suspiciously light and eventually someone dissected one of them to find the dreaded zamak. It took several emails and repeated denials before Fendrihan finally changed the description on their website.

Prior to the truth coming out, people were really happy with the bargain "stainless steel" razors they bought.

Of course, watch out for "stainless steel" or "brass" or "bronze" razors on AliExpress or other Chinese websites.

:chinese: "Just tell the foreigners what they want to hear, too hard to explain."

It was _89 clones and the description mentioned brass.

The Mark I and IIs are injection molded stainless.

Last edited:
It was _89 clones and the description mentioned brass.

The Mark I and IIs are injection molded stainless.
I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of another razor. To their credit, the error on the Fendrihan website was eventually changed.

Does it really matter?

I got around 7 years use out of my Jagger before I needed to replace the cap. That replacement cost me £7.50, and came with a free pack of blades. Is that so unreasonable as to avoid using the razor that gives me my best shaves? I think not.
It matters if one wants to buy a non-Zamak razor.

Does it really matter?

It matters if one wants to buy a non-Zamak razor.

I used to worry about this to begin with too, having read some of the horror stories.

Then, as has been pointed out, it dawned on me that if it lasts, say, 5 years then dissolves and I have to replace it then it works out at about 10p per week of use.

I don't worry anymore.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You could find out the way a lot of folks do: drop it!

Beat me to it. You could just drop it on the floor (or in the sink) and count the pieces. If you have more than you started with it's zamak.

If you don't drop it the problem becomes much smaller. Most last long enough to justify the price.

The best way to know for sure is to put up a post like: is the xxxx razor zamak?

Top Bottom