What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
How many times have you jnat koppa owners needed some of these? Answer, a lot, lol

1B7115A1-8713-469C-944F-2E920D8699C6.jpeg
D5AD7AC1-8049-495C-8398-755ADA68D213.jpeg
4B7E4111-96ED-461F-A77C-9E86FA7D137E.jpeg

How many times have you jnat koppa owners needed some of these? Answer, a lot, lol

Been a few years since I bought a new jnat, and all the ones I had kept we’re already mounted, so when I bought this stone I had to Figure out a surface to hone it on. Luckily I have a ton of sheets of neoprene about an eighth of an inch thick around here so I just folded one over in thirds and then rest the stone on that, they compress just enough to keep it nice and balanced during use

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ohhhhhhhhhh you got that lovely gigantic kiita koppa. Lucky dog!

Yes, I tried it out on my trip to Sonoma to see my friend Alex. I was on the fence so to speak, but I really like deep strata stones as razor finishers, so when he put it up on his site I had to have it.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Not trying to hijack the thread, I thought this was interesting. One of my pickers sent me this pictures of this item he found for sale. A Urasaki Hakata Swordsman Figurine. Shows a hunk of rock on a Dai used by a Master. I told him to find me a stone that size and the bills with the zeros will come out

93391D51-B41A-4304-A763-A4FF066BE12F.jpeg
E651B880-9B8E-4353-91AC-FD1EBE0A003E.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the looks of that stone. What can ya tell us about it?
Hoard stone from Alex, lovely razor finisher. Slurry will dry out during use if you let it. Easy to raise slurry, and it isn't the hardest stone in the world but is plenty hard enough for finishing and surprisingly resists self slurry during razor honing. With thin slurry, it will still leave a black mark in 1 stroke with pressure. Clean water darkens to black with hard pressure and some work. Effortless HHT5s so far with each blade I've honed on it. Pics are from before sealing it. Softer lines are not a problem for the razor and can't be felt during use. I can't get enough of the color and it is at least as fun to look at as it is to use. This thing is the kinda stuff dreams are made out of. This is my second stone from Alex, first hoard stone, and favorite stone I own. Alex is the bomb dot com.

Very nice! Is the back flat?
DSC09315.JPG

DSC09312.JPG
DSC09331.JPG
DSC09322.JPG

My one JNAT looks remarkably like the stone @MO1 posted just above. Same reverse coloration as well. View attachment 1113098I bought it about 10 years ago and was told it was a Nakayama Asagi. My stone is really hard as well and finishes beautifully. I've never felt the need for another.
Yeah does look very similar!
My stone is freshly cut, not more than 3 days before I took the photo. Stamps about a day old.
I told him I didn't really care about size, but I want the hardest stone you can cut without any suji.
Took him less than a week before it was done, 80x155x17mm stone for about half I expected to pay for it.
Only honed on it a few times, but very smooth slight texture feedback. No stress to try ninja moves over suji lines aswell. Really happy with mine.

I've been building boxes for my brushes lately, so I decided to give some of my stones boxes, too. The intention is to put them all in boxes eventually, designed to match the theme.. So we have a bit of suminagashi going here, and I've used this Nepalese marbled paper to cover the bottom of the box.

Next up may have to be a little lotus themed box, for the Ohira Suita.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Very very hard nakayama kiita maruka. The maruka part wasn't known to me and neither to the seller. It appeared after I got the stone wet during lapping and was brushing the sides to clean them. [emoji3]

View attachment 1117585View attachment 1117586View attachment 1117587View attachment 1117588View attachment 1117589

View attachment 1117590View attachment 1117591

Wow. Is this going up for sale?[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom