What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

The Henderson is running strong. Finished off the TOBS Avocado cream I was 3017ing since the end of March. I found my SOC boar worked the lather best. I'm on to the Geo F Trumper GTF. It has a very similar scent to the Derby Lemon cream. I'll be looking to dial in a brush soon. I expect to get my average 3 months out of it. Rubber side down gentlemen!

SOTD (# 109/2020)
17-06-2020
20200617_202923-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Gin Tonic
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät A.S.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (#110/2020)
18-06-2020
20200618_160746-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät A.S.

JAHE - still in.

Still in.

I've been rotating between Astra SP, SS, and Gillette SharpEdge blades.
So far I prefer the SharpEdge and Astra SS to the SP.
Same here. ASP gets a lot of love in the community. However out of these three blades ASP is my least favourite blade. It's a very YMMV thing.

SOTD (# 111/2020)
19-06-2020
20200618_200406-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ "Orange Bay Tonic"
Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel & ASB

JAHE - still in and enjoying the ride...

Car #29 regrets to report that the 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton has driven off the road in a fit of RAD and is no longer capable of continuing. On the bright side, thanks to some sales, overall stocks have decreased and momentum is continuing in the right direction.

Car #35 reporting in. No breakdowns or mechanical problems so far. Soap tanks are nearly full. Trunk is still filled with blades. Six months in and hardly a dent in the supplies.

We were briefly distracted by a Fatip Open Comb Slant crossing the road in front of us, but managed to steer around it.

Sorry to hear Team Five has taken another hit.

Continuing on this leg of the course.

Last edited:
I recently obtained the services of a guide... he looked at my supplies and asked how many time I was intending on going around with world without a re-supply?

Ruckin (hangs my head in shame)

Car #29 regrets to report that the 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton has driven off the road in a fit of RAD and is no longer capable of continuing. On the bright side, thanks to some sales, overall stocks have decreased and momentum is continuing in the right direction.

Tough one, what got ya?

Car #29, the 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton, driver #Noodles of Team 5 has driven off the road in a fit of RAD and is no longer capable of continuing. The current position;
SPS2020-20jun.JPG
SPS2020-20jun-b.JPG

Same here. ASP gets a lot of love in the community. However out of these three blades ASP is my least favourite blade. It's a very YMMV thing.

Yes, a loved blade in the community. I noticed most of my shaving purchases came with a free pack of ASP. I do like that you can shorten Astra SP to ASP. It doesn't work so well with Astra SS.

SOTD (# 112/2020)
21-06-2020
20200620_194041-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Razorock German Slant
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & ASB

JAHE - still in.

I decided a while ago that I would choose a soap to use for a week at a time, knowing that with 9 soaps/creams it would take me a while to get through everything. Today was day 1 with Prorasso White. It's a tub I've probably owned for a year (I saw it at TJ Maxx for $4 and tossed it in the cart). It's a nice, light scent. Green is still my favorite Prorasso, but I can't say anything bad about White.

The sad news is I've learned which soaps I really look forward to using every day, and which ones don't rise to that level. One of the soaps that I loved using every day was L'Occitane Cade. The scent and performance are both amazing to me. The reason this is sad is I just saw L'occitane changed the formula recently and the new version doesn't smell or perform as well. Sigh. I will not be going on a hunt on eBay to find old pucks, though. There are other soaps I like just as well.

So far, soaps I look forward to using every day are:
Prorasso Green
Captains Choice Nor'Easter
Pre de Provence No. 63

Soaps that I likely won't replace are:
Tabac (I know. The performance is so great, but after 3 or 4 days in a row, the florally smell was too much for me, although I still muscled through a week). I'm hoping there are other hard soaps that will fit in the glass jar (Fine? RR WTP? Provence Sante? I'm going to measure PdP one day since I have it and it looks close)
Stirling Coconut Lime
L'Occitane Cade (so sad about this)

Still to go:
AoS Sandalwood
Prorasso Red
WCS Silk Road (found a sample a few days ago--I looked it up and they don't make it anymore

Still out, but still happy about working down my soaps and aftershaves!

Top Bottom