What's new

Natural brush conditioning

I can see doing it a few times, but not like our fathers and grandfathers did in perpetuity. For myself, I have never bothered with any means of trying to break in a brush faster. It'll get there eventually. I'm in no particular hurry. Glad it works for you though and you're satisfied with the results!
I really only do it a few times (until it feels nice and silky). But I think boars tend to dry up and become stiff again without regular use. I don't know that they ever become fully broken in, just conditioned for use with regular use if that makes sense.

I really only do it a few times (until it feels nice and silky). But I think boars tend to dry up and become stiff again without regular use. I don't know that they ever become fully broken in, just conditioned for use with regular use if that makes sense.
Boar bristles split at the ends as they break in. This makes the brush softer and helps it produce much more lather.

bloom-1.jpg

Broken in on left - New on right

every 3 months or so I take my brushes and clean them from soap scum using detergent. if you don't do this you should, you will be surprised, your brushes will perfom way better.... Other than that I don't do much, but removing soap scum every few months is mandatory brush maintenance imo.

M

Member 113878

Got a tub of Myrsol blue soap recently.
Had my first shave a few days ago.
My (boar) brush bristles became somewhat greasy.
I suppose it’s the lanolin in that soap?
Normal?
Should I treat the brush to remove that?

Thanks!

Top Bottom