What's new

The Stainless Collection

Excellent collection. I'd have a hard time deciding in the morning.
It's fun choosing. I actually don't use these stainless models much compared to my vintage razors. The stainless models get about as much use as my AC straights. I mostly bought them so my boys can have some nice stuff when I die.

It shaves like a dream.

I tried a few single edge gem razors and couldn't really get a great shave with them. I get a more comfortable shave with my straights than the GEM razors. Is there a huge difference in the shave between the two blades. I say blades since they use different kind of blades. I'm curious as to how much different the blades themselves are. I'm curious to try a razor with the blades the vector uses. I'm sorry I dont know the proper name for those blades.

I tried a few single edge gem razors and couldn't really get a great shave with them. I get a more comfortable shave with my straights than the GEM razors. Is there a huge difference in the shave between the two blades. I say blades since they use different kind of blades. I'm curious as to how much different the blades themselves are. I'm curious to try a razor with the blades the vector uses. I'm sorry I dont know the proper name for those blades.
Artist club blades are thick and sharp. They are designed to act a bit like a straight razor edge. But the real difference is in the razor design. Some of these single edge AC razors are incredible. I use AC blades in my straights (like the Feather DX) and it takes a he'll of a lot more concentration and a steady hand than the single edge razors. I love GEMs too but they are more chattery and also super sharp. I think you'll like the AC single edge razors. You can get an aluminum Hawk for about $30.

Artist club blades are thick and sharp. They are designed to act a bit like a straight razor edge. But the real difference is in the razor design. Some of these single edge AC razors are incredible. I use AC blades in my straights (like the Feather DX) and it takes a he'll of a lot more concentration and a steady hand than the single edge razors. I love GEMs too but they are more chattery and also super sharp. I think you'll like the AC single edge razors. You can get an aluminum Hawk for about $30.

I think I will have to get one and try it out. Thank you for the information.

I too had to change the handle on my Saber as I found the original too slippery.
I ordered just the head because the handle looked scary in the photos, all smooth and polished. I have a Schöne with a smooth handle and I have a hard time with it (and it's light!). Glad I made that choice. What handle did you put on yours? Can I see it?

I ordered just the head because the handle looked scary in the photos, all smooth and polished. I have a Schöne with a smooth handle and I have a hard time with it (and it's light!). Glad I made that choice. What handle did you put on yours? Can I see it?
Not a good photo taker, but I just put a razorock bulldog handle. Works like a dream

Not a good photo taker, but I just put a razorock bulldog handle. Works like a dream
I can picture it. That's a nice handle with good balance. I need to shave more with the Sabre. I've only taken it for a spin once thus far.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For anyone who cares, the only handle in this all stainless collection that isn't stainless, is the obvious brass handle on the Sabre.

Woohoo-YEAH! I like that exceedingly!

Drat, Blast, Confusticate and Bebother you, brother. I'm actually trying to talk myself out of a Sabre at the moment.

Why talk myself out of it? Because I've been trying to talk myself into it and that's not working after a year and a half.

If I can't talk myself out of it, either, I'll give up and buy the darn thing.

What's tipping me toward it is not the high quality of the razor. What's impressing the HECK out of me is @Blackland Razors engagement with customers. I'm thinking it's worth helping the dude stay in the biz.

Well. Sounds like a decision has been made, doesn't it?

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I love GEMs too but they are more chattery and also super sharp.

Problem with Gem blades is there's basically only three to choose from: blue steel, uncoated stainless and coated stainless. That means a razor that doesn't play well with one is likely not going to play well with any of them.

On the other hand there's not a huge list of some a little wider, some a little sharper to choose from. Gem players get to try out a diversity of Gem and Gem-ish razors instead, looking for the design that will work best for them.

O.H.

Drat, Blast, Confusticate and Bebother you, brother. I'm actually trying to talk myself out of a Sabre at the moment.

Why talk myself out of it? Because I've been trying to talk myself into it and that's not working after a year and a half.

What's tipping me toward it is not the high quality of the razor. What's impressing the HECK out of me is @Blackland Razors engagement with customers. I'm thinking it's worth helping the dude stay in the biz.

O.H.

I appreciate the compliment! You tagged the wrong guy if you wanted to be talked out of the Sabre :). I think if you’ve been stuck on it for a year and a half then at point you should at least try it out. Then if it sucks you can just send it right back and move on to the next one!

Ridpath

FIGHTER!

O.H.
Do it!

Like Shane said, you could always return it if you can’t get along with the razor. :)

Problem with Gem blades is there's basically only three to choose from: blue steel, uncoated stainless and coated stainless. That means a razor that doesn't play well with one is likely not going to play well with any of them.

On the other hand there's not a huge list of some a little wider, some a little sharper to choose from. Gem players get to try out a diversity of Gem and Gem-ish razors instead, looking for the design that will work best for them.

O.H.
Couldn't agree more.

O.H.
I have had interactions with the other vendors that range from less than ideal to downright hostile (yeah, I'm talking about you, iKon) but on my very first interaction with Shane, I was treated like gold and damn if my wallet didn't leap out of my back pocket and spill money all over him lol. Honestly though, when you make superior products, it's kinda easy to have a generally positive attitude. I wanted to buy a Blackbird but I could only afford the Dart at the time. It can't imagine the Blackbird being much better but I sure do want one :) The Sabre was my grail tho. The geometry is such that it may as well be made by GEM, and it's heirloom quality! It feels like GEM released a reboot in stainless. I'll stop shilling now and go shave with something Blackland :)

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I have had interactions with the other vendors that range from less than ideal to downright hostile (yeah, I'm talking about you, iKon) but on my very first interaction with Shane, I was treated like gold and damn if my wallet didn't leap out of my back pocket and spill money all over him lol. Honestly though, when you make superior products, it's kinda easy to have a generally positive attitude. I wanted to buy a Blackbird but I could only afford the Dart at the time. It can't imagine the Blackbird being much better but I sure do want one :) The Sabre was my grail tho. The geometry is such that it may as well be made by GEM, and it's heirloom quality! It feels like GEM released a reboot in stainless. I'll stop shilling now and go shave with something Blackland :)
I’ll continue shilling! :p

Shane is not only like that to potential customers, he’s even like that when it comes to doing charity! Thanks to him, I’m a proud owner of a pre launch Tradere and have had the chance to enjoy shaving with it while I still can.

I originally got in touch to weasel out a Tradere shipping and launch estimate from him, and he immediately sent me a pre launch razor. Furthermore, he refused to accept a penny for the razor or for shipping across the pond!

Shameless plug for my review and the full story if anyone is considering adding a beautiful stainless razor to their collection: Review: Blackland Tradere (pre launch)

ok, shill over :D

Top Bottom