What's new

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

• Total voters
I currently own the Rockwell 6c and a Karve with a C sb. I think the Karve looks better and cannot distinguish between the shaving performance of them. They are both fantastic razors.

I owned a RR GC .68 for almost a year and ended up selling it after using the Rockwell. It was a good razor but not as good as the other two.l

I currently own the Rockwell 6c and a Karve with a C sb. I think the Karve looks better and cannot distinguish between the shaving performance of them. They are both fantastic razors.

I owned a RR GC .68 for almost a year and ended up selling it after using the Rockwell. It was a good razor but not as good as the other two.l

Which Rockwell plate performs similar to the Karve with plate C?

I can't think of another razor maker, other than Karve, that give the mm of exposure. In most cases they will only state negative, neutral or positive. One I asked said because of the variation in blades they couldn't give a accurate number.

I appreciate Karve's willingness to give the exposure numbers to help me gauge where my comfort zone is. To date I have 8 Karve plates B-E in both OC & SB. This has really helped me understand the relationship between gap and exposure. There are 3 razors that kind of illustrate the extremes:

Rockwell 6C/6S: As their plates get more aggressive the gaps get larger but the exposure gets less. I find it gives me a good safe shave but boring to use.

Timeless: .95mm gap but no exposure other than they say it's positive I think. My OC gives me a great close, safe and smooth shave

Blackbird: .68mm gap (I think) and they only say positive exposure. My OC also gives me a great close (even closer than the Timeless), safe and smooth shave. I feel more blade with this razor and more sport car like.

I have learned that I must like positive blade exposure, because I can feel when my angle is correct. I have also learned that gap and exposure are both important for a close shave.
I agree with the preference. I really like my gc .84 for the blade feel. I tend to apply too much pressure with negative exposure and it frogs up my technique. I had a strange intro to my Karve. I thought it was for that reason but clearly that’s not why. I have since settled on a blade and figured out the angle and it’s off to the races. Really enjoying it now.

I have used all three.

I sold the GC84. It was a good razor but the Karve and Rockwell were kinder to my skin.

I now have:
- karve brass 3" with D/SB
- Rockwell 6S standard
- Rockwell 6S Black
- Rockwell 6S standard in travel kit

Looks wise, I absolutely love aged brass so Karve takes top spot but very closely followed by the 6S Black as matte black is just awesome!!

I have the Rockwell 6C (not S), Karve with C & D plates and the .68 and .84 Game Changer both in solid bar. Of the three, I would rank the GC .84 the highest. It's the most difficult to load the blade (although not that difficult) but is priced more competitively than the other two. The Karve is the prettiest and D seems to be the plate I prefer there. The 6C on plate 5 is my go to. They are all really good razors.

Reactions: nav
I have the Karve and GC, and tend to favor the GC these days - the .84 SB just seems to be hitting the sweet spot for me, and the .68 OC and .68 JAWS are good for two or more days of growth.

The biggest challenge I have with the Karve is the angle. After learning how to use a safety razor with a Merkur 34C, the GC has a similar angle and it always takes me a little while to dial into the best angle for the Karve. But the Karve is a terrific razor once I get dialed in.

I have the Karve with an F plate. I don't really like the F plate. Its too aggressive for me. So For the price, I'm looking at either getting a C plate or a 6C. Could I get some recommendations? I’m leaning toward the 6C. That way I have more plates to explore.

I have the Karve with an F plate. I don't really like the F plate. Its too aggressive for me. So For the price, I'm looking at either getting a C plate or a 6C. Could I get some recommendations? I’m leaning toward the 6C. That way I have more plates to explore.

I would suggest trying more Karve plates as it's really a wonderful razor and since you already have one, you may as well give it a full shot.

I've used a Rockwell 6S with the 5/6 plate daily for several years. In the past 8 months I've tried both the Karve with E SB and D OC plates, and the GC .84 OC. While there are aspects of the Karve and the GC I prefer to the 6S, I got noticeably better shaves (closer and more comfortable) from the Rockwell and as nice as the Karve and GC are, I've sold them both.

I have a GC .68 and a Karve with B,C, and D plates. Also had a GC .84 that I traded on as I found it a bit too aggressive/harsh but I think much of that was due to technique or lack thereof, good chance I'll pick up another one down the road. No experience with the Rockwell but I'd like to try one of them at some point too.

I have a hard time choosing a favorite between the GC .68 and the Karve, I really enjoy both, though have been using the Karve of late as it's the newest one in the stable and I'm still experimenting with different blades for each of the plates. Still haven't used the D plate, but I suspect I may find it a bit aggressive for daily shaving based on my experience with the C plate and the .84 GC in the past.

I find the B plate to be very mild but requires more passes and touch ups to get BBS, where the C plate is a bit more aggressive feeling but is definitely more efficient and still quite a smooth shaver, much like I find the .68 GC to be.

My thoughts are if I buy a relatively cheap adjustable razor. IE Future clone or Rockwell 6c, I could find the gap I like. Then buy the Karve plate to match. It could get a little pricey if I start buying Karve plates without knowing what I want.

My thoughts are if I buy a relatively cheap adjustable razor. IE Future clone or Rockwell 6c, I could find the gap I like. Then buy the Karve plate to match. It could get a little pricey if I start buying Karve plates without knowing what I want.
I don't think you will have to start buying Karve plates. Just start with the C plate and if too mild go to the D, if the C plate too aggressive, go down to the B plate. Nice thing about Karve, the plates are not too expensive, less than $25 new and you can usually find previously owned on BST. You can always sell the plates you purchase that don't work for you on BST.

I don't have a Gamechanger. I do have the Rockwell 6s and the Karve in stainless steel and a plated brass one. I have tried SB plates from A to D, and one OC plate in B. I like the B and C sb plates the most.

I think Rockwell is a super smooth and comfortable shaver that anyone can use. It's my travel razor now, and I use R4. If it has a fault to some, it's (1) the appearance is a little too industrial and/or (2) not aggressive enough. Overall, it's a great first and sometimes even only razor for many.

I prefer the Karve, however. To me, it's just as smooth but more efficient. Since I am not a fan of much blade feel, I know I like mild shavers too.

I agree that both Rockwell and Karve are great razors (I have no reason to doubt that GCs are in the same category).

The 6S with plate R4 has been pretty much the only razor I've used for daily shaving for nearly 2 years, and I don't see that changing. I don't regret buying the GC, it's very well made and designed, but the .84 has more blade feel than I want or need for daily use, and the .68 is very similar to the 6S with plate R3. The Karve looks like another quality choice, but I prefer the 6S design.

Top Bottom