What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

48-hour beard again:

Merkur Progress razor stopped down to mildest, a new Rapira Swedish Steel blade

Boar brush

TFS Sera soap (a little Trumper's Almond cream as a pre-shave after the shower)

Two passes on cheeks and lower lip, three on throat. I let the Merkur off the leash a little for the first pass, then stopped it back down to mildest for the succeeding passes.

Sharp Dressed Man aftershave and Clubman powder

Verdict: A good solid smooth shave. Apparently the adjustability of the Progress is a moot point for me, as it shaves beautifully even at the tightest/mildest setting. A 9.0.

9/10 - 3 pass BBS shave, small nick under my nose.
Razor: Mulhe R41
Blade: Rapira platinum lux (5)
Brush: 24mm Fendrihan faux horn synthetic silvertip
Pre-Shave: Fendrihan Bay rum pre-shave oil
Lather: Stirling Spice soap
Aftershave: Royall Spyce All Purpose Lotion
/ Hawkins & Brimble balm
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200608_045450.jpg

Daily Shave: 09 June 2020

DSCF2125.JPG

Razor
: Viking Chieftain
Prep: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Persona (# 4 and out) 2 passes + extensive buffing
Soap Proraso (Green + Red mixed--about used up) (distilled water)
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 8.5 / 10.0 CAS A good shave with no nicks or weepers but blade hinted at dulling and was 'banked'.

Razor: Timeless Aluminum ALSB45
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Cream: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Shave/Result: I went for the Full Monty!!4 pass: WTG, ATG, XTG, Combo XTG/ATG. BBS, nice shave, the Nor’Easter Cream performs great and I find the scent intriguing. My Yaqi don’t play, just a straight workhorse with flawless lathering ability. It lacks the soul/feeling of my boars, but the soft tips and stellar performance are a nice reminder of why I keep it. Have a great day.
Tim
1010BF7C-3B2B-4C42-9970-BB0EF6F9A4C1.jpeg

Tuesdays shave red.jpg

Tuesday’s Shave

Today I used my Wolfman SS SB 1.05 razor that is loaded with a Personna Med Prep blade for the first shave. I really like this razor and blade combination. The soap is Grooming Department RC Mallard Soap. The brush is a Shavemac 177. The lather was slick. I did my usual four-pass shave on my face and two-pass on my head. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense. A perfect shave. 10/10.

Today's shave was a very average shave. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible, run of the mill. Left some minor stubble. Back on the SE and moved the bullet tip blade over to the 1912. Maybe the blade is leaving me? Will pry go back to the tech again. Forgot how much I like Sharp Dressed Man.

8.2/10

KM

IMG_20200609_060647.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Tue, June 9th 2020

Razor: Oneblade Core version 2 - Mfg 2018> My Great daily driver #1 of lately, works well for a milder razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) modified.
Soap: Santa Maria del Fiore(Razorock)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot "Sagrada Familia" named after the famous cathedral in Barcelona Spain.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my Oneblade core.

SOTD, Tue, June 9th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Fendrihan badger
Razor: Timeless SS .68 scalloped
Blade: Personna Red - day 1.
AS: Lucky Tiger followed by Lustray Spice.

Just good all around. Highlights included: Personna Red works great in the Timeless and...Zingari Man The Wanderer performed very well. As aquatic scents go, it's nice, but I prefer Goodfellas' Abysso.

First Pass:
Razor: Parker SRW Shavette​
Blade: Gillette Nacet halved (2)​
Second Pass (Also preliminary sideburns trim):
Razor: Single Ring Old Type Open Comb (First time using this razor!)​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger (not quite fully broken in)
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave:
Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E - immediately after my shave​
Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm - about an hour after the shave​
Rating:9.6/10 Very pleased with the first pass result as my SR journey continues. Second pass was nice. Overall too many nicks to give it a 10. Also some razor burn, thus the two AS applications.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200609
shave 20200609_153048.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 OSS Dual Comb, TiBam 'Antique' Handle
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Zenith B34 28mm Boar
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Red Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of Polo Red)

WTG (SB), XTG (OC), XTG (OC) & ATG (OC). Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The Ikon B1 OSS Dual Comb is a pretty cool razor - SB on one side and OC on the other:
b1 oss base2 20200609_160848.jpg

What's interesting to me is that the OC side is noticeably milder that the SB. Used the SB side for WTG and the OC side for everything else. Nice DFS++. BBS everywhere except the usual area between my nose and top lip.

Excellent shave! :)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Mitchells Wool Fat bowl lathered

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Baylis and Harding Black Pepper and Ginseng Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Astra SP (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
First time using an Astra SP as part of a sampler pack trial going WTG, XTG, XTG and then ATG on the cheeks. Impressed on shave 1, a nice smooth shave with no cuts or irritation. Not as sharp as the Wilkinson classics I have been previously using, but felt smoother and gave a better shave.

Preshave: None
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: DScosmetics tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Wilkinson sword classic
Blade: FEATHER!!!
Aftershave: Proraso green afterbalm

YES! YES! YES!!!! I knew the problem wasn't in me(how modest). Yesterday my feather blades arrived, but I mustered the patience to wait until today. There is such a difference!!!!! People say the feather blades are SUPER SHARP, honestly I found them normal, even though I've only tried 1 other blade before the feather one. Maybe it's because the Wilkinson sword ones are super dull, for me?

I find it strange, when I grow a beard it's super soft and nice, all the women love it, they say it's a good change from iron scrubs. But if my beard is soft, why would my whiskers be tough to cut down?!?!?

Pretty pleased with this shave. Got a BBS, and it was the first actually enjoyable shave with zero irritation! Only one weeper on my upper lip when going ATG on the last stroke and one small bump on the neck! Much better than the 5-10 bumps and 10-20 weepers from previous shaves :laugh:

Personal score: 10/10
Objective score: 8/10

Top Bottom