What's new

Muhle R41 vs Merkur 15C - relative aggressiveness, smoothness etc.

H everyone.

Just wondering if anyone out there owns or has used both the Muhle R41 and Merkur 15C, and if so, could you give some thoughts as to how they compare, which you prefer etc. I already own an R41 (recent model), but geofatboy recently did a review of the 15C and it looks like a great little razor.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a post-2013 R41 (which I have) and like it, you will probably find the 15c too mild and inefficient to provide a close shave (as I have found). I believe the 15c has negative blade exposure, making it difficult for me to get a close shave. Instead, I use the 15c when my face is irritated from the wind, cold, or sun, but otherwise, I rarely use it.

Btw, I tried the 15c head with a heavy Weber bulldog handle to see if the extra weight would make it more efficient, but it didn't.

For a modern, mild, yet efficient open comb razor, I suggest the Parker open comb razors. Maggard also sells these razor heads a la carte.

If you are looking at vintage razors and are looking for a mild but efficient open comb, I suggest the Gillette New Long Comb.

Hope this helps.

There really is no comparison. The R41 is much more efficient with a wider range of cutting angles. While most would describe the 15C as mild, I would qualify that by saying it's mild when comparing it to most open combs. On it's own, I would call it medium aggressive and certainly more aggressive (blade on skin feel) then the closed comb 33C. There's also the 41C - same head different handle. Hope that helps.

Hi chuckd and rusty1. Thanks for those replies. Much appreciated.

In addition to my R41 (yes, it is the post 2013 model), I also own a Merkur 34C, 37C, and Edwin Jagger DE89. It seems to me as though there is a very large gap between the R41 on the one hand, and the other 3. It's like from the sublime to the ridiculous. I guess I am looking for something more aggressive than the 34C / 37C / DE89, and less aggressive than the R41, for those days when the R41 is a little too much.

Many thanks.

In addition to my R41 (yes, it is the post 2013 model), I also own a Merkur 34C, 37C, and Edwin Jagger DE89. It seems to me as though there is a very large gap between the R41 on the one hand, and the other 3. It's like from the sublime to the ridiculous. I guess I am looking for something more aggressive than the 34C / 37C / DE89, and less aggressive than the R41, for those days when the R41 is a little too much.

Many thanks.

I like the 15C. It is a Gillette Old Type knockoff that has survived down through the ages. But it’s probably not what you are looking for.

Sticking to OC razors, here are some ideas at various price points:
Brass Karve OC D or E plates
GameChanger .84 OC or JAWS
vintage Gillette short comb or New Deluxe
Phoenix Ascension DOC (with a wait for releases)

Or completely go off the rails and get a vintage Gem SE Micromatic. There is a passaround so you can check them out for free.

Also, Wunderbar.

I like the 15C. It is a Gillette Old Type knockoff that has survived down through the ages. But it’s probably not what you are looking for.

Sticking to OC razors, here are some ideas at various price points:
Brass Karve OC D or E plates
GameChanger .84 OC or JAWS
vintage Gillette short comb or New Deluxe
Phoenix Ascension DOC (with a wait for releases)

Or completely go off the rails and get a vintage Gem SE Micromatic. There is a passaround so you can check them out for free.

Also, Wunderbar.
Good point about the GameChanger JAWS. I forgot to mention that one. I picked up the JAWS 68 this week and like it so far after two shaves: smooth and efficient and not too mild.

Also, you can't go wrong with a GEM.

Thanks Tanuki for those suggestions. I haven't heard of most of those razors. Looks like there's some homework for me to do.

Thanks.

Thanks Tanuki for those suggestions. I haven't heard of most of those razors. Looks like there's some homework for me to do.

Thanks.

You’re welcome! I should have posted the link to this thread:

There really is no comparison. The R41 is much more efficient with a wider range of cutting angles. While most would describe the 15C as mild, I would qualify that by saying it's mild when comparing it to most open combs. On it's own, I would call it medium aggressive and certainly more aggressive (blade on skin feel) then the closed comb 33C. There's also the 41C - same head different handle. Hope that helps.

THIS ^^ is the perfect summary.
These razors basically are absolutely different.

+1! The R41 is at the (far) end of the ’aggressiveness‘ scale, while the others are in the middle.

Many thanks.
Except that it's a closed comb, sounds like what you're looking for is a Muhle Rocca. If you're in the US, European vendors have them at lower prices. You may read differing opinions on this razor, but the one thing everyone agrees on is that while it is aggressive - it is not as aggressive as an R41 but more aggressive than a DE89. On a theoretical scale of aggression, if you put the DE89 on the left & the R41 on the right, the Rocca falls about 3/4 the way to the R41.

Hi rusty1, BigJ and JAHE. Thanks for that. I'm in Australia, and the Rocca looks like a nice piece of gear, but not available locally, and would be a bit out of my price range once shipping, exchange rate etc. is factored in.

I just wanted to clarify the general consensus on the 15C - is it the same level of aggressiveness as the 34C/37C/DE89, or is it more aggressive than those 3 ?

Thank you.

Hi rusty1, BigJ and JAHE. Thanks for that. I'm in Australia, and the Rocca looks like a nice piece of gear, but not available locally, and would be a bit out of my price range once shipping, exchange rate etc. is factored in.

I just wanted to clarify the general consensus on the 15C - is it the same level of aggressiveness as the 34C/37C/DE89, or is it more aggressive than those 3 ?

Thank you.
You're welcome. No, the 15C is more aggressive than those as the blade is more directly on the skin. The open comb handles multiple days growth better & also any long flat-lying hairs. I know prices are different where you are, so if something like Vshod's Razorock open comb is even less money, that would be similar to the 15C which is still a good razor.

Hi rusty1. Thanks again. I appreciate your continued interest in my queries.

Yes, Razorock products are available here. There's a supplier who looks like they carry the entire Razorock range.

One of the things I like about Merkur razors is that they are German made, but I will look into the Razorock range. They have some cheaper razors (approx $50 AUD) and some pricey ones (approx $230).

Thanks again.

I am looking for something more aggressive than the 34C / 37C / DE89, and less aggressive than the R41, for those days when the R41 is a little too much.
I think any of the Fatip open comb razors (Piccolo, Grande or Storto) fit between the 37C and R41. I don't have a 34C or DE89, but I'm assuming they're less aggressive than the 37C.

I like the R41, just have to be careful.
The Merkur 15C; well I think mine says 1904--different and nicer handle. But the head: horrible. Not efficient and pointy teeth , used it x 2 for head shaves and quit (probably the worst OC I have). Of the Merkur brand only the 45 (red) and Futur I like.

Hi xiletero. Thanks for that.

I'm strictly only a face/neck shaver. I have seen a few more reviews of Youtube of the 15C, and the main point of difference among the reviewers is the aggressiveness. None say it's the most aggressive OC they have used, most describe it as efficient, striking a nice balance between aggressiveness and smooth, irritation free shaving. One fellow said it is just a hair's width more aggressive than the 34C, which I find hard to believe, but anyway.......

Thanks.

Merkur 15c is efficient,and takes few days growth like nothing,but it doesnt shave as close as 33c.For some that might be perfect,but i like merkur closed comb as it gives closer shave every time.

Top Bottom