What's new

Bad Yaqi Brush

OP i feel your concerns but with Moka handles it is given that sometime handmade swirls will not be up to the level of advertisement pictures. To my mind the dark swirls are an attempt to show coffee streaks sinking toward bottom from the darker top. As someone said that 24mm synth is more prone to not have visible streaks; I have two 2band brushes in 26mm but One of them is much lighter in base color (almost yellow) with hardly any visible swirls. The one on right is much darker base (brown) with very prominent swirls.The moka pot lines are much angular on right handle.
I couldn't live with not getting what I looked at aliexpress page. I got another one (right one in pic).
IMG_20200426_150245_hdr.jpg
1587901435079.jpeg

Like you, I found the 24 mm handle on the synthetic to be a better size but the characteristics of the two band badger knot to provide a better shaving experience. It's too bad that Yaqi doesn't put a 24 mm two band badger knot in a Moka handle. I think that would be perfect.
I completely agree. I find the smaller badgers perform better. Maybe that's not true for everyone, but i find i have to squeeze the lather out of the bigger ones.

OP i feel your concerns but with Moka handles it is given that sometime handmade swirls will not be up to the level of advertisement pictures. To my mind the dark swirls are an attempt to show coffee streaks sinking toward bottom from the darker top. As someone said that 24mm synth is more prone to not have visible streaks; I have two 2band brushes in 26mm but One of them is much lighter in base color (almost yellow) with hardly any visible swirls. The one on right is much darker base (brown) with very prominent swirls.The moka pot lines are much angular on right handle.
I couldn't live with not getting what I looked at aliexpress page. I got another one (right one in pic).
View attachment 1092075View attachment 1092076
Those are really different. The left one you have has more of a streak than mine does. It seems like the artisans in their workshop do not use consistent techniques and that some just aren't as well-trained. The boss isn't going through and correcting the workers that don't add enough swirls. I'm sure lack of QC keeps costs down. They also might not see a problem with the inconsistencies.

Your honesty is refreshing. Not everybody would have come to the same realization. Instead, they would have just stayed angry.

So, I'm really glad that it worked out for you. I hope you enjoy your Yaqis as much as I enjoy mine! As you said, the 26mm two-band Moka is a beast of a brush. It's an incredible performer and such a bargain!
Thank you. I try and monitor my thoughts and perspectives. I think you can choose to see the good things in life and not let the annoying stuff derail your entire day!

William Foster would agree.

View attachment 1091495
You know those photos of food you see in magazine ads? They look amazing, but the food you actually get looks nothing like that.

I've got three Yaqis (Sagrada Familia, Purple Haze and Mysterious Space). They look at least as good in person as in the photos. The Mysterious Space looks better in person, actually. They look better with natural light shining on them.
This was a particular peeve of my mother's. My folks only ate fast food while travelling, but Mom always made it a point to ask for a burger that looks "like that" and she pointed to the pictures next to the menu boards. She specified that she wanted it so that the bun wasn't smashed down with top & bottom edges touching. Upon unwrapping the usual mashed burger, she'd speak with the manager - this got her a lot of free burgers and also a lot fresher one than one from the heat lamp shelf ...

If my Moka wouldn't loose a hair or two during my shavings, I would get 3 or 4 like that model and forget to get other brushes for some years....

If my Moka wouldn't loose a hair or two during my shavings, I would get 3 or 4 like that model and forget to get other brushes for some years....
But is it not normal? From what I have read and watch I thought like lose a hair or two during a shaving is completely normal.

But is it not normal? From what I have read and watch I thought like lose a hair or two during a shaving is completely normal.
I've been using mine for several weeks now and I haven't had any noticeable bristle loss. Perhaps your method of lathering differs from mine, but I'd say the hair's glued in there pretty good.

I have no complaints about the Yaqi brushes at all. They're a definite upgrade from what I had and the look pimp AF. I could buy a $150 Simpson brush and still feel like I'm not getting the dose of style that I long for. Yaqi definitely has that nailed down.

I've been using mine for several weeks now and I haven't had any noticeable bristle loss. Perhaps your method of lathering differs from mine, but I'd say the hair's glued in there pretty good.

I have no complaints about the Yaqi brushes at all. They're a definite upgrade from what I had and the look pimp AF. I could buy a $150 Simpson brush and still feel like I'm not getting the dose of style that I long for. Yaqi definitely has that nailed down.
I lather my shaving soap or cream in a bowl. I don't feel like I apply any unnecessary pressure but i don't know.. Yaqi has really surprised me also. I have a Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two Band Badger and I have to say that I was astonished by softness of the brush when I first got it. But I also have to add that Yaqi changed my point of view to synthetic brushes. I have always thought that any badger or a boar brush would surpass a synthetic brush. After that I have used my friends' synthetic brush just once I have completely changed my mind. And I would choose a Yaqi synthetic over any boar (Except semogues) or a pure badger shaving brush. It's just what I think and I may be wrong. But Yaqi whether its a synthetic or a badger offers a good shaving experience.

Synthetic brushes have changed my mind about quality brush performance. I have several badgers that work just fine, the best is a Yaqi Sagreda Familia Badger. Nevertheless, my Yaqi Cola outperforms it. If I have to pay $150 to get a badger that performs as well as my $30 synthetic (or even another $15 synthetic) why bother?

Synthetic brushes have changed my mind about quality brush performance. I have several badgers that work just fine, the best is a Yaqi Sagreda Familia Badger. Nevertheless, my Yaqi Cola outperforms it. If I have to pay $150 to get a badger that performs as well as my $30 synthetic (or even another $15 synthetic) why bother?
Exactly. I have been thinking on this lately. I want to buy a new brush, I don't have any synthetic in hand, I torn between a Silvertip Yaqi or a Synthetic Yaqi. But I guess I'll go with synthetic one

I often request photos of the actual item prior to shipping in cases where natural variation is to be expected. Most good retailers will oblige and even give you a choice from what they have in stock. Buying sight unseen is one of the major disadvantages with the current trend towards online shopping. The retailer didn’t do anything wrong. You asked for a Yaqi Moka and they gave you one. Still most will make a bit of effort to avoid unhappy customers and the hassle/cost of avoidable returns.

Top Bottom