What's new

What was your first serious watch?

My first serious watch, purchased new in 2001. Still have it, though I have moved on to another as a daily driver.

Attachments

• P1010007.jpeg
    P1010007.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
My ONLY watch since 1988, worn regardless of occasion or task (probably should have taken it off for some of the jobs I've undertaken over the last 32 years) - this stainless Datejust with machine turned bezel. All original, including the well stretched Jubilee bracelet and original crystal replete with 3 o'clock to 5 wear chips.

proxy.php

All original, including the well stretched Jubilee bracelet and original crystal replete with 3 o'clock to 5 wear chips.

I "got a guy" in California (Rolliworks) that I, and a bunch of others from the Rolex forum have used to fix the stretch in their jubilees. ~$425 for a restoration/replacement of worn parts, and they clean each and every little bit while its apart. They also do before and after measurements, etc. I have been very pleased with their work and highly recommend them if you ever decide to get that stretch fixed!

My first "serious" watch was (and still is) a Seiko 6309-7040. It turned out to have been made the month & year that I got married & is still one of my favorites in my collection. Keeps almost perfect time & looks like a million dollars. I have worn it for my son's wedding & it's ready for son #2 when he gets married later this year. Another terrible habit I have & certainly more expensive than shaving gear!

Was gifted a couple of Tag Kiriums as sales awards but first decent watch I bought was an Oris Williams F1 day/date. Awesome watch but was in a briefcase stolen from a rental car a couple of years after I bought it.

Good taste in watches AND dogs! (I have a black greyhound as well)

Yes, greyhounds make amazing pets! I doubt we would ever get anything different in the future. We wanted a black male as they tend to be stuck in foster the longest for some reason and it was a stroke of luck when they said "this is the greyhound in foster that we feel would be the best match for you" and he happened to be black (although he gets greyer by the day!)

After wearing a Fortis Trueline automatic from my father. I bought early 80ties a Rolex Datejust 16030, after a couple of years I bought a Datejust 16013 twotone. And then came the unemploymency, sold both of them. 2000 (I had a decent job again) I bought me again a nice watch. Not very expensive, a Seiko Kinetic, I still have it and wear it daily.

Yes, greyhounds make amazing pets! I doubt we would ever get anything different in the future. We wanted a black male as they tend to be stuck in foster the longest for some reason and it was a stroke of luck when they said "this is the greyhound in foster that we feel would be the best match for you" and he happened to be black (although he gets greyer by the day!)

Lazy K Hero Val is mine... she was whelped in Feb 2014, so she is also getting grayer and grayer!

146 races... she did fairly well, too, which is why they kept her racing.

I digress, though...

My watch for the day was a Tag Heuer Carrera Caliber 7. There! Back on track! (no pun intended)

Lazy K Hero Val is mine... she was whelped in Feb 2014, so she is also getting grayer and grayer!

146 races... she did fairly well, too, which is why they kept her racing.

I digress, though...

My watch for the day was a Tag Heuer Carrera Caliber 7. There! Back on track! (no pun intended)

We are his second adopted home after came out of racing, first one didn't work out, and we never found out his racing name or record. Tried to look up his tattoos on UK and Ireland record sites (he has both ears tattooed so must have originated in Ireland before coming to the UK) but no results. He raced until he was almost 6 so must have been good enough to earn his keep. Now, he just sleeps all day 😂

Yes, back on topic, wearing the Seamaster today!

3B6E6D53-114F-4DEF-924E-B6DD4267DBAD.jpeg

I bought this Tag in my late twenties and it is still my most used watch. It’s a simple, classic go anywhere kind of watch. The steel bracket is hard wearing and the sapphire crystal looks as good as it did on day one.

It cost me about two weeks wage which was a lot of money for me then. At the time I was saving for a house and was pretty torn about spending so much and something that I didn’t strictly need but still really wanted. In the end I decided to invest my savings and only buy the watch when the interest from my investments was enough to fund the purchase. In this way I was able to justify to myself that it was a freebie. Kind of....

I’ve done a lot of things with this watch in the last ten years. I wore it when I got engaged. I wore it at my wedding. I was wearing when I held my child for the first time. And I was wearing it when I signed the contract on that first house. It’s not flash but I’ve never felt embarrassed to wear it. It blends in nicely and has become a part of my individual style. What more could you want from a watch? It even tells the time. And the date. Bonus!

Last edited:
Top Bottom