What's new

EJ DE86

Recently I purchased this Edwin Jagger razor just to add another modern razor to my modest collection of mostly vintage razors. I really needed something new for a change.
Well this razor has turned out to be a good investment . It is a VERY smooth shaver and does so well with Astra blades. I love its performance. It is not aggressive in anyway rather mild in fact but not just meant for beginners. I’ve shaved with much more aggressive razors but I sure like this one a lot more. It is superb!!!!
Next blade I’ll try in it will be a Gillette Yellow.... a sharper blade.....

Razorhead

Edwin jagger DE89 was my first double edged razor and is very reliable and gives good performance. You just need to be careful not to drop the head because the post that securedls the razor together can break off on impact as it is cast zamak.

I just got one, I've had it on my list for a while. It is very smooth I thought it would be more aggressive. Used Personna Blues for the blade.

Good you like it. I bought one when starting out in DE shaving. Found it too mild. Now with a lot of DE experience I might find it shaves well enough. Have to go dust it off.

I have an 87 (the white one...). Great shaving head. I always pair it with some other handle as I've found the original a little slippery.

A DE86 has been my main razor since I start DE shaving 5 months ago and agree that it's a nice smooth razor. I have found it performs even better with sharper blades and have settle on Israeli Reds and BIC Chrome Platinums with it, I'd highly recommend trying either of those blades in it.

Thanks to this thread I found my dusty EJ89 and loaded a GSB into it. I got a really good shave, was surprised. So mild I felt as if I was shaving with a cartridge blade. I would be surprised if someone could draw blood with this shaver. Even irritation would be doubtful.

It is back in the rotation after several years of neglect. If I want a easy and no worries shave it works for that and is efficient enough now that I have so much practice at DE shaving.

Reactions: Avi
Congratulations!!

These are good razors very smooth but to mild, can get a decent shave in but forget bbs. ,can come close but need at least 4 passes plus touch ups

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I have not tried EJ yet. One day, one day.

Andrew, if you like the mild shaves provided by the Gillette Tech , you should definitely consider an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor or, alternatively, a Mühle R89, which features the exact same head geometry/design. I LOVE these mild shavers!

If the Gillette Heritage Inspired, equipped with a Mühle R89 head, comes available again on Amazon, I am certainly grabbing a couple!

Congratulations!!

These are good razors very smooth but to mild, can get a decent shave in but forget bbs. ,can come close but need at least 4 passes plus touch ups
I have the Muhle R89. A fantastic razor where I do get a BBS shave. Pair it up with a nice sharp Polsilver or Astra and you'll get one effortless close shave with no irritation!

I only have two DE razors now. An Edwin Jagger DE89 with the lined handle and a Vintage English Gillette Ballend Tech. Both, when paired with a sharp blade, are fantastic for my skin and beard. If my Edwin Jagger breaks I will buy another one - possibly the one with the ‘barley’ handle which I think looks great.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I only have two DE razors now. An Edwin Jagger DE89 with the lined handle and a Vintage English Gillette Ballend Tech. Both, when paired with a sharp blade, are fantastic for my skin and beard. If my Edwin Jagger breaks I will buy another one - possibly the one with the ‘barley’ handle which I think looks great.

Sir, I love the Edwin Jagger DE89 so much that I got it with both Barley and Knurled handles. Recently, I also got a Mühle R89. Again, the only one missing is the Gillette Heritage.

I have the Muhle R89. A fantastic razor where I do get a BBS shave. Pair it up with a nice sharp Polsilver or Astra and you'll get one effortless close shave with no irritation!

they have the exact same heads.. edwin jagger and muhle built the DE89 and the R89 togther, they just manufacture it in their own countries

if you like your muhle, you will love the new Muhle Rocca Version 4.. amazing razor, so efficient but buttery smooth.. there so good I bought 3, R94, R95 and R96 :)

Top Bottom