What's new

Debate with me: daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary

I don't really shoot for a BBS shave. I do two passes, WITH & ACROSS with some ATG touch up during the second pass. Like Geo from shave nation says "feel you face, when your done, your done". I know big controversy that some 'Barbers' say you should never shave ATG. If I try to get too close, with my skin & beard type, I can only get it with repeat stokes and ATG. I always end up with irritation.

Shaving literally removes skin layers, so shaving every day is a recipe for irritation or skin damage
And yet, Ive shaved daily for many years without irritation or skin damage, so at the least, ones mileage may vary may yet again be the answer to the question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've discovered that shaving a 48-hour beard gives a much smoother, closer-without-irritation, and satisfying shave than when I do a 24-hour beard with the same equipment. Now and then I bend that rule, but when I go back to 48 hours between shaves, the result is almost always better for me.

I have to shave everyday, it's the only way I know to use up my blades & soap. . . .

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Kind of like what Hugh Hefner said in his Playboy interview in the 20th anniversary issue. He was asked why he had a round bed. He replied that it was a good way to employ the round sheets in the hall closet.

In recent years, I have taken to shaving with higher efficiency razors that display
some blade feel, although they are still smooth as hell.

One of my concerns is shaped by the belief that any activity that involves a blade scraping
your skin cells away at regular intervals does have a deleterious effect on skin.

So I try to shave alternate days as far as possible.

I have one mild razor, a uk made red tip, and if I only used that, I would shave every day,
no problems.

As I have aged and an increasing number of hairs are gray/white, after one day of shaving I can see the darker ones peeking out....it looks very strange.... and for that reason I shave more often...., is it needed : NO, do I do it: sometimes....depending on what I am doing....

I get noticeable growth after 24 hours so I shave daily and go for a 4 pass BBS as that's what I prefer.

My skin is sensitive but that's not something I can change but it doesn't stop me shaving daily.

Funny thing is that I work from home and most days don't even leave the grounds of our gated society.

I shave every day because my skin is in better shape when I do.

Back in the day I shaved with carts, and my skin was a painful mess. With a full beard for 10 years it was better, but still a lot of room for improvement. When I started with a DE, it was a huge improvement. I used to give myself a day off each week, but I see the most improvement in my problem skin when I shave 7 days a week. That's more than enough reason for me to disagree with "excessive and unnecesary".

Do what works for you.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom