What's new

Blade Sharpeners

Haven’t used any special tools, but for the share fun of I have tried to use my stones several times, but have never had any success whatsoever. I have a good handful of straights that I have honed to some success, so I guess at least some hone working knowledge. I kind of gave up, but I will follow this thread with some interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking about getting one of those vintage ones on etsy/ebay to test out a single blade to see how long it might go for....just for giggles....

My question would be why? As consumables go DE blades are about as inexpensive as you can get so can't see it making financial sense. Maybe as a curiosity to add to your den but thats about it IMO.
s-l1600.jpg

If the world economy falls into a another Great Depression, perhaps razor blades will become unobtanium and resharpening used blades will become a necessity for some. However, as long as perfectly usable blades are available in bulk for about ten cents each, it would take a very long time to amortize the cost of a blade sharpener. I have amassed enough blades to last me at least ten years, so I am not concerned. Typically, I get only 3-4 shaves per blade, but I could extend that or shave less frequently if the situation were dire.

Those sharpener thingys may have been able to squeeze an extra shave or two out of the standard carbon steel blades of the day, but they would have little to no effect on today's stainless steel blades.

its more for fun not anything financially economic. to have one piece of small history and use it from time to time

Some time ago I read about stropping razor blades on jeans or similar material. The instructions were to but the razor with the blade in it in the direction of the blade (not against it) for 15 to 20 times. I tried it and it did nothing to improve the dull blade.

I have also seen vintage sharpeners on eBay and Etsy in various price ranges. I came across one on eBay recently that was listed as a BIN for $55!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You WILL eventually see an effect with a stainless blade. I strongly suspect you'll need to keep at it for several hours at the very least.

OTOH, there are still carbon-steel Gem blades out there. Carbon steel is easier to resharpen than stainless. There's a carbon steel Gem blade that's .012 instead of .009 inches, and I wonder if it'd be like the semi-wedge Gem blades I got with one of the old razors. Transition blade, the spine is steel and has a larger-radius curve like a wedge instead of the folded edge like a modern Gem. They're honable.

I'm not saying "don't do it" but I am saying "it's gonna take a while." Even at minimum wage where I live an hour's work would get you a box of 100 nice fresh DE blades shipped to your door. Or four or five hours' work might get you one more shave out of the old blade, and need to do it again before tomorrow.

It's an interesting experiment and I'm actually in for it -- but there are some realities to consider if you're doing it to "save money."

Was reading in a history of the Battle of Barking Creek (WW2, England, just before Battle of Britain) and at the time RAF members were limited to one DE blade a month with instructions to sharpen them inside a drinking glass. Even carbon steel is going to take some time doing it that way.

O.H.

Sharpening a DE blade is different from the sharpening of a straight razor, which is different from the sharpening of a knife, which is different from the sharpening of scissors, which is different from sharpening a scythe, which is different from sharpening an ax, which...

Top Bottom