What's new

Debate with me: daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary

Not shaving at all would be best if you want to talk about health, evolution being a thing.

Don't think that's why we choose to shave.

I'll shave daily thanks.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I didn’t mention health. I’m referring to it being pointless and excessive.

I have I suppose what is a medium beard type. After a BBS shave a shave the next day is not needed, even though if you were to run a playing card along my beardline you’d hear feedback. There is simply not enough growth to warrant a shave, let alone for anyone else to really notice or care.

My buddy has a full, thick, coarse beard, but yet the story is the same. 24 hour after a BBS, you simply cannot notice the growth on his face.

So from the above anecdotes, I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary. Two days apart is fine and will let your skin recover, and three days is probably the best.

from a sociological/head shrink perspective a lot of this is cultural, family tradition, or learned behavior.

me.....daily shaving.

many years ago standing in inspection formations (basic/ait) casts a different light on my thinking. daily or be called out on it.

camo

I have been doing it since 1980 and I don't know what this "recover" thing you are mentioning, my skin is smooth and soft like a baby's and I am steadily approaching 60 :001_smile

Shaving literally removes skin layers, so shaving every day is a recipe for irritation or skin damage

I shave for the enjoyment of shaving, not because I want/need to remove whiskers.

I found that if I do a three-pass BBS shave with my SR, I have nothing to shave until 48 hours later. If I do a two-pass DFS shave, I have a little to shave after 12 hours, which I do with a single pass.

My DFS shave gives me three passes within every 24-hour period. The BBS shave only gives me three passes every 48-hour period.

So you lather up and shave when there is nothing there to shave?

As a firefighter for 30 years i can say a days growth on most people will not cause them to fail a fit test for PPE, however as an officer for the past 20 years (company and now chief) if i see you on duty with stubble you will go shave. Personally i need to shave everyday even after BBS or i have a shadow by the end of the day.

I’m fairly certain that two days growth won’t hinder PPE of any sort.
That's not necessarily correct, at least in industrial environments (which I have some experience in).

Facial Hair and Respirators
If you wear a respirator that requires a seal with your face, you must be clean-shaven where the respirator seals with your face. This helps to make sure your respirator can protect you from breathing in contaminants.

What does "clean-shaven" mean?
  • You must have shaved before the start of your shift.
  • You may have to shave again during your shift if your beard grows quickly enough to interfere with your respirator's seal.
<see attachment for more>

resp-1.png

I don't understand why you want a debate about what works best for you (and your buddy). If shaving every other day is the sweet spot for you - great! If someone needs (or wants) to shave every day - great! No one is right, no one is wrong in this situation.

I have no professional or social reason to shave every day. In fact, I have np professional or social reason to shave at all. I live in the American south and a clean shaven face is a rare thing around here.

Lately I have acquired the habit of shaving every time I shower, usually in the evening. It is a luxurious relaxing indulgence. I have no reason to deprive myself of that experience.

Daily shaving, particularly with the close shaves I receive these days, is unnecessary. I liken it to eating just one more cookie. I don't need it, but it just seems right to do.

Shaving literally removes skin layers, so shaving every day is a recipe for irritation or skin damage

Says who?

I have never experienced irritation or damage after shaving in my whole life.

On the contrary if I don't shave my skin itches and feels uncomfortable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll adapt a famous Henry Ford quote for my response: If you think you should or shouldn't shave every day, you're right.

No debate. Do what's right for you.

Personally, I like to shave every day. I need no reason or justification other than that.

YMMV :)

Last edited:
I was just wondering how you came to debate that daily shave is the conclusion that daily shave is excessive and unnecessary?
No one wrote in this forum that shaving is necessary. No one wrote that is excessive or not.

It is true we enjoy our (wet)shaving as many times we shave as we want (enjoy). So simple as that.

Top Bottom